Show & Tell: New Gear Acquisitions

JeffS65
JeffS65
03/18/2020 4:01 pm

Hey all. I know I posted one of these buried in a thread but since I got another peice of gear, I'd add it to this. Here's my recent toys:

First up is the previosuly mentioned acquisition; the Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute Double Cut. Though every new guitar I get becomes my 'favorite', this one really gets me jazzed. I love playing this guitar. Out of the box, it's set up nicely and stays in tune (which is not always the case with a Les Paul neck/headstock). I love the P90's. They're a single coil pickup but not in the same way as a Strat/Tele. It's got a nice fat but twangy sweet spot. It's no frills. One volume and one tone pot. No maple top. It's just a slab of mahogony. I opted for the blue because, well, it's pretty. It's actually just as nice in person. I noted in another thread that they are clearing it out for the new 'like' model so I got it for $599 (not its previous $999). It's plays better than my 'real' Les Paul.

So there you go. My newest gear. Will this be it for a while? Probably, but I've said that before.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2020 5:45 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65I love playing this guitar.[/quote]

That pretty much says it all, yeah? :)[br]

Originally Posted by: JeffS65It's plays better than my 'real' Les Paul.

I love the retro design on that! I saw one of those in a music store when they were first released. I thought the combo of that amp design with a TS built in was a great idea. I played through it for a while & really enjoyed it. Great tone at a variety of volumes & a super responsive amp for blues, blues-rock, even jazzy-blues. I was especially impressed by the spring reverb. It sounded really nice!

My latest gear purchase was this EHX phaser.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SmallStoneN--electro-harmonix-nano-small-stone-phase-shifter-pedal

It had been a while since I bought a pedal. :) And I'm working on a tutorial on how to set & use old school pedals in a performance setting. So I was looking for some kind of basic modulation unit. And this one was at my local music store, brand for 50% off! Sold!

I'm also looking at a used Telecaster. So that might be on the way soon. :)

[br]Fun topic! Thanks, Jeff!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/18/2020 8:26 pm

Hi Jeff

I had seen the guitar earlier and commented on it, but that amp...

Might be the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

Enjoy!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/18/2020 8:35 pm

I just read your post Christopher. Congrats on your new gear - I've said it before - I love gear.

I think a tutorial on pedals would be very useful. We have a few but rarely "explore", instead sticking to the known.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
03/19/2020 1:09 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SmallStoneN--electro-harmonix-nano-small-stone-phase-shifter-pedal

Hahaha.. I clicked on the link and the artwork on the facia of that pedal instantly transported me by mind's eye time machine to 1968, the look and sounds of Jimi Hendrix and atmosphere of the young Goldie Horne on "Laugh-In" ...without tripping on LSD.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2020 1:50 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Hahaha.. I clicked on the link and the artwork on the facia of that pedal instantly transported me by mind's eye time machine to 1968 . . .

[p]Haha! :) Yeah, I noticed that too, but try to overlook it. A close friend of mine makes custom effect pedals & makes his own custom decals & artwork for them. He typically makes some tippy psychadelic hippy looking thing. Which I can't stand! [br][br]But he says most guitar players like & prefer that sort of look, so he knows his target market. He's made me a few pedals over the years. But I always make sure to ask him not to put that trippy stuff on mine. Just make it black & silver. :D

So once he asked if he could make something custom that would actually appreciate. The result was a beautiful reverb pedal with an Art Deco logo & design!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/19/2020 7:28 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

It had been a while since I bought a pedal. :) And I'm working on a tutorial on how to set & use old school pedals in a performance setting. So I was looking for some kind of basic modulation unit. And this one was at my local music store, brand for 50% off! Sold!

I'm also looking at a used Telecaster. So that might be on the way soon. :)

Nice. Modulation is an art. My first pedal I ever boughtwas a DOD Flanger. I got it used for nearly nothing and because a friend said he loved flangers. When you're not great a playing, it was a fun toy. But it was actually useful to learn how to play to the tool.

That Small Stone looks pretty cool. I always want to bite on something like this but nowadays I realize I'd only get it to play with and I have enough in Amp Sim effects to get me buy. Still, The Nano has some cool sounds.

Tele? Get it! I got one last year and I love playing my Tele. I've heard it said that a Tele us supposed to make you work for it. I kinda found that to be true. Not 'work' per se but it tends to make me play a little differently and outside my normal stuff.

I did get three guitars in the last year, I should slow down. My wife concurs....so we bought her a Martin Mini yesterday from Chicago Music Exchange! She a beginner but the Taylor Mini ain't up to the job...but I digress.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.