Godin Progression

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/11/2019 7:45 pm

This is what happens when you ask a dumb question.

I went into my local music dealer today for a set of strings and while paying I asked if he had any Godin guitars in stock aside from the one on display. I had a secret desire for a very specific model: the Progression model in Cherry Burst.

He said no, but he showed me on his computer what models he could get. I pointed to the Cherry Burst and told him I had been eyeing one of those. The next thing I know he is on the phone to Godin and inquires as to stock availability and is told the model is now considered discontinued but there are a few left. Damn. I don't really want to buy a used one in the future....

Mine should be in my hands within 10 days. Here are some pics from the Godin website.

And since I can't do justice to a guitar, I have included a link from someone who can actually play.

Review

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/12/2019 12:10 am

Hahaha..GAS strikes again. Familar with that feeling only all too well William MG.

That Seymour Duncan JB Jr in the bridge looks interesting. No experience of it, I hadn't heard one before either.

I'd like it a lot from its neck and tech specs. 42mm Graphtech TUSQ nut, 12" radius with what appear to be medium jumbo frets. I'm sure you will too. Looks DDG.

What's the actual neck profile? e.g. modern C or D? I'm guessing it'll be one of either to remain consistent with the other contemporary neck specs. The specs don't state it or the string spacing, but I'm surmising it'll be 11mm (10.8mm if the OEM Godin bridge is US manufactured).

I feel your anticipative excitement.

PS. Meant to ask but forgot. What is the little black thing beside what I presume is the tone control? Godin don't list coil split of the humbucker or a dry switch as a feature.

Re-edit: Disregard. Just watched that review vid to discover it's the HDR. toggle, which I did note mysteriously listed in the specs, albeit without any elaboration or hotlink to an explanation of what HDR is.

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/12/2019 12:47 am

Yes I am eager for this to arrive. I am hoping the top to be as beautiful as the one pictured. Godin states in the promo vid that the neck is "our take on a C shape". I can't comment on string spacing at this point.

We do have a Godin Session, which was the entry level Strat copy. I suspect the neck will be the same. In fact I will not be surprised to find that they are essentially the same guitar except for the upgrade in pickups and the better finish.

I may do a side by side when it arrives. Please stand by....

Edit: I had read your op manX, before the edit, and you asked about the maple neck. This guitar is available in either MN or RW. For me personally, I find the MN more attractive on the Cherry Burst. And being frank, owning guitars with both types of necks, I can say I play them all with the same level of enjoyment.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/12/2019 3:13 am

Although I had seen it before, it only confirmed after watching your bending vid #2 that you had a Maple neck guitar, hence the edit deletion of the subsequently redundant question.

I'm the same. I can get along with both of the primary fingerboard woods. Not so fond of faux or thermally treated materials such as those frequently labeled "Techwood" and "Roseacer". Most of my fingerboards are Rosewood, but I like Maple equally, particularly satin finished although it is susceptible to showing staining and wear with frequent use over time. I think they refer to it as character to a point people pay for relic-ing.

I recently acquired a new gloss urethane finished Maple necked conventional SSS strat, but sent it back due a warranty issue. The lazy dealer refunded vs replace -too hard basket job, although the single line import distributor of the brand has since offered to replace. Higher priorities have intervened in the interim so I haven't opted to action a replacement at this point.

I'm sincerely excited for you. It looks to be a truly pleasing player, and if looks could kill! [u]I love your colour choice[/u]. I hope yours turns out to be the spitting image of the one in the promo images. I really liked the Vintage White one with tortie pickguard in the demo vid too. I have a hardtail P90 Pacifica in that same scheme.

[br]PS. Tied up in a vid conference earlier. If I get courageous enough to broadcast my ancient mug on YT, I'll make a vid and demo my progress with bending applying the technique I mentioned I use with YGLTG. By necessity applied contextually to melody musically, it's different from as the bend tute vid links by fuzzb0x illustrate. Can't use the forefinger to support in the adjacent fret when it needs to be fretting a note on the first string.

# 4
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/12/2019 8:02 pm

Absolutely love this feature William MG.

The Progression Plus is just one beautiful guitar in every respect mate. I'm so envious in the most flattering way of the overall availability and money you can obtain one for in Canada.

[br]Sadly, their electrics have zero representation and insignficant presence in AU.

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/12/2019 11:33 pm

The trem lock is interesting manX, but I don't actually use one, at least at the present. This may change once I have the guitar.

I won't comment on the quality until I receive it, but from our session, not to mention my S6 acoustic, build quality has been very good. I am trusting that same build quality is in this one.

I will be particularly interested in the finish and the flame.

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/21/2019 9:39 pm

Well, I have to say, I am very happy with the Progression

Vid

# 7
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/21/2019 10:56 pm

Totally envious ....haha..in the nicest sense possible.

# 8
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/21/2019 11:10 pm

Thanks manX! She's a gem!

# 9
mjgodin
mjgodin
02/23/2020 4:38 pm

Hi Bill,

Just came across this post. How do you like that Progression now that you've had some time with it?

I love Godin guitars. Not just because it's my last name and my family is from New Brunswick area, but not related to the guitar family. I've also seen their manufacturing facility here in NH and I really love the looks and sound of them. They are definately on my watch list when the time comes to upgrade. I'd love to get a multiac.

Here is another video of someone else who can play them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwePa5nFz1I

Moe

# 10
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/23/2020 6:16 pm

Hi Moe,

Well thanks so much for sharing that link. Not only is the artist incredibly talented, but I think the song is incredibly appropriate for some of us on this sight!!

I really enjoy the guitar. At home it's my go to. Leo Fender really nailed it when he designed the Strat. For me, it's a very comfortable guitar to play.

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.