my 2nd Guitar Lesson!

malweth
malweth
09/04/2002 2:23 pm
I just had my second guitar lesson last night! It went pretty well... she's started me out with one book I have with the 0-3 frets of the last two strings at 126 bmp.

Unfortunately that's the full 1/2 hour, but I got some good tips for practising and gaining speed.

Think she's going about it the right way? It seems good so far, but it's early yet.
# 1
MikeP.
MikeP.
09/04/2002 6:43 pm
Not sure exactly what you mean but is she having you practice exercises at 126 bpm on only your second guitar lesson? I think thats a bit way to fast. I would slow it way down.

If I were you I would get a new teacher to teach you at your own level so as not to discourage you.
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 2
malweth
malweth
09/04/2002 6:46 pm
nah... I'm a pretty quick learner
and 126 BPM is on only one string and 0th, 1st, and 3rd frets

(two strings she says I can slowly pump it up to 126)
# 3
MikeP.
MikeP.
09/04/2002 6:49 pm
quick learner or no quick learner at this stage of your development i would still slow it down...otherwise you'll develop sloppy technique. You may not believe me now...but way in time...you'll see.

Anyone else here agree with me.
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 4
malweth
malweth
09/04/2002 7:10 pm
What is technique, exactly?

Is it how you strike the frets with your fingers, how you hold your hands?
# 5
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/05/2002 12:18 am
This is totally my oppinion, but you really shouldn't learn from books if you have a guitar instructor. It's really not the best way to learn. Cause I think it's better if you can learn by ear and sight. You need to know how to read music and everything, but you should be able to memorize songs easily. I don't know it's all very hard to explain. But I know if my guitar instructor handed me a book I'd be pissed. I mean have you even learned any chords yet. Or are you doing row, row, row your boat.

# 6
malweth
malweth
09/05/2002 1:47 am
I definitely agree to some of that. I'm a fairly good book learner, but I don't want to be playing crap songs forever.

I DO want to learn more theory - which requires books...

what I don't understand (and my friend at work says what you said too) is why book learning is bad yet all the online tips I see are TAB exercises. Isn't it the same thing??? (lol :))

Before I started lessons I had piano for 4 years ending in about 3rd grade (I'm 25 now). I also had (amateur) sightsinging experience all my life (choirs, churches, etc).

Since I got the guitar 3-4 weeks ago I've learned (mostly on my own) chords - A, E, Am, Em, C, & D and can play House of the Rising Sun Chordwise (and partially how it's supposed to be played ;))

What I need to learn are the notes on the fretboard and speed in accessing the fretboard (through chords and notes).

Does this line up in what you're thinking, or am I going about this entirely the wrong way??

Thanks for the help - hope it doesn't sound like I'm naysaying... I'm just getting different methods from all kinds of people, and I have to figure out what will fit me best :)
# 7
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/05/2002 1:55 am
Theory doesn't require books. Ask your guitar instructor about it, but there's nothing wrong with using books for theory. THere's nothing wrong with using books at all. But some of the books out there are really crappy, and the purpose of having an instructor is so they can instruct you not give you a book that instructs you and just sort of shove you along. Looks like your of to a good start.
The reason why I'm so against book learning is because I pissed away 2 years in one book without a teacher. I mean it's really is a sad story.
There's nothing wrong with tabs either. But it is impossible to learn a song with out hearing it. I mean you can't just look at tab and presto you know the song.

Cheers
:D

# 8
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
09/05/2002 10:20 am
Originally posted by iiholly
THere's nothing wrong with using books at all. But some of the books out there are really crappy, and the purpose of having an instructor is so they can instruct you not give you a book that instructs you and just sort of shove you along. Looks like your of to a good start.
The reason why I'm so against book learning is because I pissed away 2 years in one book without a teacher. I mean it's really is a sad story.
There's nothing wrong with tabs either. But it is impossible to learn a song with out hearing it.

I've always felt the music teacher was there to help you get onto the right books as well. I've done a lot of book learning and my teacher always said to me 'this book can teach you a lot, if you used (gives me several other titles and authors) then they dont explain this so well, they dont cover that as early as it really needs to be covered etc. Perhaps you used the wrong book for two years because you didnt have a teacher to recommend you a better one.

Impossible to learn a song before you've heard it??? No No No!!! Its true that I've learned a lot of songs from listening to the recordings and going throught it with the tab or score, but one of the beauties of music is developing your own interpretation, if you play a song after you've heard it you will always be influenced by that recording but if you learn before you've heard it you work out how YOU think it should be played, and then later you can hear other peoples versions, adjust your own and correct mistakes (thats another field where the teacher is very valuable.) I tend to apply that approach to classical music, but who's to say you couldnt learn any song that way?
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 9
malweth
malweth
09/05/2002 11:02 am
Speaking from other music experience here...

it's definitely not a requirement to listen to a piece before you play it - musical recordings is a fairly new technological advancement. If someone were to play the latest Beethoven sonata when it was first introduced, the only way they would be able to hear it was from another player - possible, certainly, but not nearly as easy as copying a CD from your friend down the street!

On the other hand, if you're interested in an approximation of the original piece, listening (while still not required) is very helpful.

Granted that I'm speaking from a mostly classical singing background - where sheet music is always available. TABbed music doesn't seem to always be true to form (unless you're buying the official version), which would make listening to the original a requirement.
# 10
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/06/2002 12:32 am
Ya well I didn't mean to make that sound so black and white. What I meant is... well I forget that was a long time ago and I just spent about 2 hours doing damned biology homework so I'm sort of zoned.
Also, books just piss me off because of that whole two year thing. I know it's just a personal fault of mine, but I still feel screwed to an ultimate level of screwedness. I'll probably feel this way for a long time. I'm not saying that books suck, as a fact. I'm sure the right ones are okay, but personally having an actual person just seems to work better for me.

[Edited by iiholly on 09-05-2002 at 07:34 PM]

# 11
malweth
malweth
09/06/2002 10:50 am
I definitely would agree that (good) books are only a good idea as a compliment to a teacher. Would I could afford an hour or two of lessons every day in place of the practice I am currently getting from books, exercises, and tab.

I've been doing some practicing since my lesson on Tuesday, and I can definitely tell one of the big things I need to learn. I can pick the notes given no beat and all the time in the world, but put even a slow beat to the notes, and I'm picking the wrong notes at the wrong time!

I think there are a few reasons for this. I have to override where my fingers naturally want to go in order to pick a note, and I don't perfectly match up a fret and string to a note on the staff. When I get bored with fast finger exercises I move on to songs where (right now) I give myself all the time in the world between notes in the tab.
# 12
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/07/2002 2:06 am
You must relax; be one with the guitar.

# 13
malweth
malweth
09/07/2002 10:40 am
that's the best advise! Probably the hardest part at this point, but I'm working on it.
# 14
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/08/2002 12:57 am
Yes, the best advise is usually the shortest, and the advise that is given out jokingly. But there's nothing like orgasmic guitar playing/getting into the zone.

# 15
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
09/08/2002 1:45 am
Advice-
Practice sight reading
Then practice some songs you want to learn by ear
Study your theory
Improvise for a little bit

That pretty much covers the important areas of practice. Thats what I cover when I practice. I dont do it all at once, I practice several times a day, so I dont get tired of the guitar.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 16
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/09/2002 12:43 am
How could you get tired of guitar?

# 17
malweth
malweth
09/09/2002 11:52 am
He must play late at night...
# 18
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/11/2002 1:07 am
Who's he; I hope you weren't refering to me.

# 19
malweth
malweth
09/11/2002 10:56 am
Josh - above... he has to take breaks so as not to get tired of it. I'm sure he's only tired because he's up too late, not because he's playing guitar!

Anyways... Just had my 3rd lesson. I'm moving into learning chords and chord transitions. I've mastered two strings at 126+ bpm and I'm working on the third string at 126 bpm. There's a lot for me to work on in the next week! I think that's the most important part about a teacher... telling you what to learn and giving you a period in which to learn it! It keeps you moving at a quicker pace than if you do it by yourself.

I usually end up doing about 25% more than the teacher lays out, but it's that initial work that provides the momentum.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.