View post (my 2nd Guitar Lesson!)

View thread

malweth
malweth
09/05/2002 1:47 am
I definitely agree to some of that. I'm a fairly good book learner, but I don't want to be playing crap songs forever.

I DO want to learn more theory - which requires books...

what I don't understand (and my friend at work says what you said too) is why book learning is bad yet all the online tips I see are TAB exercises. Isn't it the same thing??? (lol :))

Before I started lessons I had piano for 4 years ending in about 3rd grade (I'm 25 now). I also had (amateur) sightsinging experience all my life (choirs, churches, etc).

Since I got the guitar 3-4 weeks ago I've learned (mostly on my own) chords - A, E, Am, Em, C, & D and can play House of the Rising Sun Chordwise (and partially how it's supposed to be played ;))

What I need to learn are the notes on the fretboard and speed in accessing the fretboard (through chords and notes).

Does this line up in what you're thinking, or am I going about this entirely the wrong way??

Thanks for the help - hope it doesn't sound like I'm naysaying... I'm just getting different methods from all kinds of people, and I have to figure out what will fit me best :)