Rotating speakers - what are they?

David Gilmour
David Gilmour
07/29/2002 8:39 pm
OK, I'm pretty sure of what they do, they add that chorus-like effect (Gilmour used one on Dark Side, on the track "Any Colour You Like").

What I don't know is how they work.

Any comments, anyone?
see you on the dark side of the moon
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/29/2002 9:42 pm
These things are (were?) made by Leslie, which is why they are also called 'Leslies'. Usually they are a two-way system, with the low-frequency speaker mounted in the bottom of the cabinet, firng upwards into a rotating ported baffle, and four high-frequency horns mounted on a rotating post in the upper part of the cabinet. The horns rotate in the opposite direction to the low-frequency baffle. These were originally intended for use with electric organs, with the on/off and speed controls mounted at the keyboard.

To get an idea of what they sounded like, get some early Deep Purple, like "The Book of Taleisyn" turn it on, and stand back! A Hammond B3, a 100-Watt Marshall head, two Leslie cabs, and John Lord at full-bore was an awsome experience.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
David Gilmour
David Gilmour
07/30/2002 1:19 pm
One logistical question, though - if the speakers rotate, how do they remain connected electrically?

The way I would envision it would require some sort of brushes or something to maintain electrical contact while not getting tangled. Is this right? I'm sorry, but the technical terms you used kind of went over my head, and it doesn't help that I'm only just now sipping my first coffee of the day...
see you on the dark side of the moon
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/30/2002 2:45 pm
Yes, the speaker connections are made through brushes. The crossover circuits and the mechanical drive are located in the middle level of the cabinet, with the high-frequency horns above, and the low-frequency speaker below.

The horns spin on a vertical shaft. The bass speaker is mounted in the bottm of the cabinet, facing up, instead of pointing out the front. A baffle is mounted across the face of the speaker. It is like a cylindrical box with an opening on the side. It spins in the opposite direction to the horns.

With the mechanical drive running, the opening in the bass baffle sweeps across the front of the cabinet, (from right to left, if I remember correctly), and the horns sweep across from left to right. Depending on the speed of the drive, the sound can range from a throbbing tremolo to a heavy vibrato.

'Clear as mud, right?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.