Pick noise

Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
09/12/2016 3:19 pm

I was noodling around attempting the intro to Anastasia (Slash). Even though the tone, tempo, and sound for that matter was pretty good (if I don't say so myself) the sound of the pick was overwhelming to me. That "chik, chik, chik" sound at every note kinda killed it for me. Is there something I'm doing wrong as far as technique. Thought maybe the P/Us were too close to the strings? Any clues... Dale
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/12/2016 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by: 69deville
I was noodling around attempting the intro to Anastasia (Slash). Even though the tone, tempo, and sound for that matter was pretty good (if I don't say so myself) the sound of the pick was overwhelming to me. That "chik, chik, chik" sound at every note kinda killed it for me. Is there something I'm doing wrong as far as technique. Thought maybe the P/Us were too close to the strings?

The intro is done on an acoustic guitar using fingerpicking. So, don't use a pick. And if you play it on an electric, then turn the volume down quite a bit, dial in a clean tone & use the nck pickup to get the softest, roundest tone possible.

Hope that helps! Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
09/13/2016 5:25 pm

Thanks Christopher, guess I should have specified which intro. I meant the electric after the acoustic. The eighth note run he does right after the acoustic intro. You are correct though using a pick in the acoustic section would indeed be quite an accomplishment!!!
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2016 2:36 pm
Thanks Christopher, guess I should have specified which intro. I meant the electric after the acoustic. The eighth note run he does right after the acoustic intro. You are correct though using a pick in the acoustic section would indeed be quite an accomplishment!!!

Gotcha. That pedal point sequence requires precise picking. But if you are too heavy handed about it, then you'll get too much clicking. So use a light touch on the pick attack. Picking too hard is just wasted effort anyway.

Also, use the neck pickup for a warmer, more bass tone. Also, you might have too much gain on the amp. Always use just enough, too much kills the tone.

Regarding the pickup height, yes that could be a factor. But another is where you doing the picking. Sometimes picking right over, or on top of, the pickup can cause too much click-clacking.

Notice that Slash plays a Les Paul. Most of his picking happens between the pickups so regardless of what pickup settings he's using, his picking naturally avoids that problem.

I mostly play Strats, so I use the bridge or neck pickups a lot. I have the middle pickup set a little lower because I typically pick over it. So, when I do use it it doesn't interfere physically or sonically.

Also, part of this tutorial covers pedal point licks. Starts at lesson 7.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=973

Hope that helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
09/15/2016 7:26 pm

It does help. Thought about using a lighter pick but I'm pretty accustom to using a heavier (1mm) pick, but I will check out the link and thanks for the help. Dale
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2016 8:14 pm

It does help. Thought about using a lighter pick but I'm pretty accustom to using a heavier (1mm) pick

Glad it helps! I typically use Dunlop 1.5mm Delrin picks.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/41P150

I love the bevelled edge & that it doesn't bend at all. I can play as light, heavy or anywhere in between with those. Developing your picking attack & dynamics is always a great idea!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
Scalesup
Scalesup
10/24/2016 11:12 pm

Are you referring to the picking noise you hear directly from the strings and not through the pickups? If so, a heavier picks helps. That and turning up the volume on the amp :)

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.