View post (Pick noise)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2016 2:36 pm
Originally Posted by: 69deville
Thanks Christopher, guess I should have specified which intro. I meant the electric after the acoustic. The eighth note run he does right after the acoustic intro. You are correct though using a pick in the acoustic section would indeed be quite an accomplishment!!!

Gotcha. That pedal point sequence requires precise picking. But if you are too heavy handed about it, then you'll get too much clicking. So use a light touch on the pick attack. Picking too hard is just wasted effort anyway.

Also, use the neck pickup for a warmer, more bass tone. Also, you might have too much gain on the amp. Always use just enough, too much kills the tone.

Regarding the pickup height, yes that could be a factor. But another is where you doing the picking. Sometimes picking right over, or on top of, the pickup can cause too much click-clacking.

Notice that Slash plays a Les Paul. Most of his picking happens between the pickups so regardless of what pickup settings he's using, his picking naturally avoids that problem.

I mostly play Strats, so I use the bridge or neck pickups a lot. I have the middle pickup set a little lower because I typically pick over it. So, when I do use it it doesn't interfere physically or sonically.

Also, part of this tutorial covers pedal point licks. Starts at lesson 7.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=973

Hope that helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory