Guitar Rig Vs Amplitude

davnak33405
davnak33405
04/28/2016 6:44 pm
So I have been looking around at different amp sims trying to find the best (most realistic) one on the market that is still affordable. Yes, I know amp sims will never be as good a the real thing, but right now I can't afford to get a Marshall Stack or Peavey Stack. What I am looking for in this is something that I can use to:
1. Practice without bothering roommates
2. Record (typically distorted) electric guitar
3. Get the most realistic sound as if I had a real stack miced.

I have narrowed down my selection between guitar rig and amplitude. I already own a lot of software and hardware from Native Instruments, so I already trust their talent in programming. However, in my testing of the free versions of guitar rig and amplitude, I was not extremely impressed with Guitar rig, I think a lot of it has to do with that fact that most of the amps they give you for free are these old classic rock sounding one, as opposed to the more modern alternative rock sound. Amplitude has a similar issue, but I kind of like the sounds better.

What I am asking all of you guys is for you personal opinions and experiences with the full versions of these programs.

Thanks in advance!
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/04/2016 1:38 pm
Originally Posted by: davnak33405So I have been looking around at different amp sims trying to find the best (most realistic) one on the market that is still affordable.

Unfortunately, I don't have either of those guitar software systems. However, my solution those same problems (practice & record at low volumes, get close to a real amp, mic & room sound with a virtual system), was a Line 6 Pod.

I did a whole post with examples & my list of pros & cons. Here's a link:

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44617

Hope this helps! Best of success. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
05/04/2016 5:44 pm
Christopher, what do/did you plug your POD into? I have a V-Amp that I use plugged into a, ready for it, Montgomery Ward (solid state) amp I got when I was a teen. I've heard you shouldn't use these devices in tube amps though? Curious what you used to simulate the Marshall in your previous post...

Thanks Dale
# 3
maggior
maggior
05/04/2016 6:50 pm
My experience with these devices is they work best plugged into something other than a guitar amp. I got very frustrated with these until I fully realized this. The trouble is that the amp simulation will be in conflict with the sonic characteristics of your amp. No matter how much fiddling I did with my amp to make it "flat", it just didn't sound good.

If your amp has an effects loop, you can plug into the in of that for better results since this will bypass the preamp in your amp. Take care to have the volume turned down on your device since that is now what controls your volume!! Another alternative is to get a powered PA speaker and connect to that.

I've used the Line 6 POD, the Zoom G5, the Boss GT-100, and the Eleven Rack. All of them sounded unsatisfactory to me when plugged into a guitar amp but sound great when plugged straight into my computer or a PA system.

On something like the Zoom G5 or Boss GT-100, you can disable the preamp and only use simulated pedals...tubescreamer, wah, distortion, etc. That will work plugged into the front of your amp since you are using it to emulate effects pedals...not an amp.
# 4
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
05/04/2016 8:23 pm
Did not realize you can place it through the loop. Does this disable the controls (bass/treble/mid) on the amp? Have any suggestions for a powered PA? Thanks Dale
# 5
maggior
maggior
05/04/2016 9:30 pm
Originally Posted by: 69devilleDid not realize you can place it through the loop. Does this disable the controls (bass/treble/mid) on the amp? Have any suggestions for a powered PA? Thanks Dale

Yes, it disables, or bypasses, the controls...volume, bass, mid, treble, etc. You are going directly to the power amp.

The power amp can still color the sound, but usually not as much as the pre amp.

A powered PA speaker with a 10 or 12 inch speaker would fit the bill. You can get something that is small enough that could also be used as a floor monitor.

We have a Yamaha DXR8 in our PA that sounds amazing...very crisp and clear. Not cheap though. We also have a Mackie Thump 15 which is not as crisp sounding, but fills out the bottom end nicely. Peavey and JBL make some nice sounding powered PA speakers.

You might be able to go to your local music store and find a great deal on something used. Bands disband and sell their PA often enough...or sell off pieces of it to upgrade. You should be able to find something that won't break the bank that will sound nice.

You don't need a mixer or anything...though you could use one to connect an mp3 player to jam along with.
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/05/2016 12:26 am
Back in 2010, I did this review about Amplitube. I still use the same one and I still like it.
# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/05/2016 1:07 am
Originally Posted by: 69devilleChristopher, what do/did you plug your POD into?

I plug it directly into my mixing console. Which then goes into a compressor & preamp then into the M-Audio soundcard interface in my computer.

My DAW is Sonar & I used a little bit of a standard hall reverb (5%) that came with the program.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 8
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
05/05/2016 3:01 am
Since the V-amp doesn't have send/return connections, how would you connect this to the effects loop of the amp? Line out to effects in?
# 9
maggior
maggior
05/05/2016 1:01 pm
Originally Posted by: 69devilleSince the V-amp doesn't have send/return connections, how would you connect this to the effects loop of the amp? Line out to effects in?

Exactly. In doing so, the preamp in the amp will be bypassed. I've used my Zoom G5 this way with 2 amps...a Marshall head and my Peavey ValveKing 112 and that was how I'd hook it up.
# 10
eransh10
eransh10
05/13/2016 8:57 pm
Hi,
I am using amplitube on iPad with POD 6 iPad adapter.
For now it's working great but I only do it to learn guitar without waking the kids. I'm not using it to record tracks yet.
Hope it helps.
Eran.
# 11
davnak33405
davnak33405
06/01/2016 3:52 pm
So what it sounds like is that these programs are great from practicing, but not for recording a professional sounding song. Thanks for the input guys.
# 12
Scalesup
Scalesup
10/24/2016 7:19 pm

I've been using Amplitube. Love it. Liked it so much I bought the full version along with some amp and effects packs.

I normally connect the output of the iRig 2 directly to the clean channel of my Roland Cube 15XL amp. When the wife is bugged by the music, I just plug in headphones.

Works and sounds great.

# 13
beaucoupfish
beaucoupfish
11/10/2016 11:09 pm

I'm using an IK Multimedia iRig HD 2 and Amplitube, and nice closed back over ear headphones. I love this setup for jamming out quietly at night. I used to use Guitar Rig, I think I stopped at v3... anyhow it was great too, nothing to really complain about with either software. Not sure of the newest available versions of GR however.

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.