Kid Rock...

06/21/2000 9:42 pm
Is this guy not the BIGGEST wannabe/dick you've ever seen in your life? I think we should form a pact in which we all agree to kill this man should we ever meet him. I saw him on an interview today. When asked what he thought the greatest contribution to rock and roll has ever been, he replied, "Not to be ****y, but I'd have to say (turns into a yell) I'm the greatest contribution to rock and roll, ever!", and his loser fans erupted into applause. Sickening...

# 1
zepo
zepo
06/22/2000 1:58 pm
I agree I think we should ban together to eliminate crappy music (ie any pop music, and any 'rock' played on the brain wash network...er MTV i always get those two mixed up for some reason). I really don't see the big draw to kid rock. If someone could explain it to me I would much appreciate it.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 2
Buzz
Buzz
06/22/2000 3:49 pm
I agree with you James. Didn't I hear somewhere that he started out as a joke with Howard Stern? Trying to prove people will listen to anything? That certainly would fit. Where'd he come from anyway? All the sudden he was just there like a virus or something.
That which you can not cure,
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 3

06/22/2000 5:25 pm
I wouldn't be surprised Buzz, and if that was the intent that I'd say the results are, yes people will listen to just about anything if it has the right image with it. This guy thinks he's America's Badboy. Real rockers don't have aliases like "Kid Rock". I'd be interested to find out his realm name... it's probably something really geeky like Gerald Walters (no offense to all you Gerald Walters out there!). zepo, I think the big draw to him is that he seems to epitomize rock and roll to those who are unfamiliar with it (pre-teens and younger). Rock and Roll is cool, nobody doubts that, but kids don't know what it is. They think its Kid Rock. Kid Rock thinks its Kid Rock (at least he acts like it). We all know Rock and Roll isn't Kid Rock, but for those who never had the pleasure to listen to some Zeppelin or Stones (or whatever your person rock taste is) then they might mistake what Rock and Roll is. It really is a shame... the younger generation may never realize what they're missing.
# 4
Buzz
Buzz
06/22/2000 9:01 pm
James I believe you hit the nail on the head. I saw a video of Kid Rock's a few weeks ago. Actually I think it was "American Bad Ass" He remixes "Sad But True" by Metallica and uses the music. That I think is what some of the draw is to him. Kids here good music and think it's his. He's making a fortune off of other peoples coat tails. Man I'm sooooo jealous, then again I do have some integrity and that wouldn't allow me to steal anyone elses tunes.

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 06-22-2000).]
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 5
zepo
zepo
06/23/2000 12:35 pm
See I thought the draw to him was that little guy that hangs out with him. I have to agree to every thing said most of the people who listen to kid rock haven't had the pleasure of listening to actual Rock music. Just like these boy bands hopefully he'll disappear with time.
# 6
Willdridge
Willdridge
06/24/2000 2:28 pm
Buzz - Man, I was just about to say the same thing....I was watching the WWF, (I was bored!!!) and this guy comes on...First I reckonise the tune as the Imperial March from Star Wars (the guitarist was doin' a sound check)...so I thought, fair enough, warming up, quick riff, nought wrong with that....Then they some the actual song...Duurrr, dur-dur, da-da-da-da-da-da....do-do-do-dooooo! do-do-do-dooouuu!!! Durrr, dur-dur....(you get the idea....) so I'm thinkin' you absolute b+*'d....What gets me is people my age (I'm a teenager) actually like this sh*t....kinda p!sses me off too.....Where has all the good stuff gone? It's all this techno and dance stuff...fair enough, it music, can't descrimate against it...but the friggin' least they can do is write their own stuff and play LIVE!!!!....GRRRR!!!! really gets my goat....

Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 7

06/24/2000 5:43 pm
Yes it's a sad state of affairs, but at least the real rock spirit lives on in a few loyal followers, like us for example. I don't know if rock will ever hit it big again, maybe MTV seeks to annihilate it altogether. But so long as there are people like us to carry on the legacy, it will live on. It's still out there... just don't even bother trying to find it on MTV or any music award ceremony; it's in bars and smokey dives and on the street. A couple months ago I passed a street performer and stopped to listen for a bit. He played a slow blues tune and one particular lyric really struck me, it was something like "rock ain't dead, but it's definatly injured". I gave him a couple bucks and left.
# 8
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
06/27/2000 4:00 am
I saw something while flipping through channels today, and Kid Rock was saying that he's become "comfortable with his band" and something about being more mature vocally, and that he's going to focus more on music, hoping to bring an end to all of the crap that's coming out. I thought it was funny.
# 9
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/27/2000 4:19 am
That's classic stuff...
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 10

06/27/2000 4:55 am
lol yeah that's true, if he can play an instrument to any sufficient degree, I haven't seen it. I saw him play on muchmusic (that's the MTV up here in Canada) one time, he didn't even hold an instrument, he just walked over to the guitarest and fingered a barre chord while the guitarest held and strummed it, then went over to the keyboard and hit the same chord over a for a few times.
# 11
Buzz
Buzz
06/27/2000 3:59 pm
Focus more on music? How can you focus on music if you don't play an instrament?
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 12
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
06/27/2000 7:15 pm
I think this guy's name says it all: "Kid" rock. He's got to be kidding if he thinks that s**t he puts out could be termed music. Bored with the bore !
# 13
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
06/28/2000 6:37 am
No, the Kid can play the guitar he's not that impressive but he can play, and if you didn't see the grammy's this year he played the piano and quite well for his performance. i don't like his stuff he pushes with his screaming and kicking but his mellower stuff is kinda a cross between the eagles/lynard skynard band and that's the stuff i wish they'd push more and focus more on a music than selling records. And Kid Rock does have an awesome guitar player he's pretty good and a decent drummer and bass player.

[This message has been edited by jake sommers (edited 06-28-2000).]
"Take my hand boss"
# 14
zepo
zepo
06/28/2000 5:50 pm
Are you sure HE was playing? Haven't you've seen the Monkees or the Partridge Family?
# 15
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
06/30/2000 4:40 am
true dat atomic, just because you guys don't like him you just can't incredelitate(wait is that a word) his skillz. tha man could be the greatest classical pianist ever but you don't know that. alot of times peoples image don't fit in with stuff like playing instruments. i think his rap skillz has suffered by combining two types of music. yo but we can't just write peeps off. i did the same thing with Wyclef Jean. I said to myself here's another black guy thinking it's cool to hold a guitar in a video and thought somebody just showed him a few chords, but i heard him play on Vh1 storytellers and i was shocked because he was a phenomenal guitarist and i felt bad about it cause i was so soon to write him off and that ain't right. And i've learned that nobody makes it to the top with zero talent. yo britney can't sing a lick in my estimation but she can dance her ass off. bsb and nsync's songs are gay as hell but i'd be a liar if i said they couldn't sing, they got pipes but that ain't my thing. Kid rock may be talentless as you guys say but his talent is to get people involved in his stuff dancing, moving,or whatever. Everybody has talent even if you have to really search for it.

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 16
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
06/30/2000 5:45 am
There are a lot of people who like Kid Rock because they believe him. But, i really believe the guy is just fooling everyone. I think the ****y routine is all a joke and he's not only laughing at all those who think he's great, but he's laughing at all of those who believe he's an egotistical buffoon too. If nothing else, he's funny. It's so overblown that it couldn't possibly be anything more than a farce. Also, the guy plays a lot of instruments (turntables, guitar, bass, drums, piano, vocals) and can write a catchy song. I'm just defending him because a lot of you are trashing him without even knowing about him. I can't say to like him (dont even know if i like him) or dislike him, but at least find out about him (or anyone/anything you want to discuss) before you discuss it. I hope i don't sound rude, you guys are all really dear to me, just gotta put my 2 cents in.

Atomic
# 17

07/02/2000 1:25 am
Well said Jake... the last part is very true. Kid Rock can move people, no doubt about that. But I don't think any of us have really called him "talentless", per se. My words (which I stand by) are that he is a wannabe and a dick, and I think I know him enough to make that judgement. But that's my opinion.
# 18
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
07/02/2000 3:12 am
ha ha, true dat
"Take my hand boss"
# 19
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/08/2000 4:55 am
well, the only way I can see this is that he does have a great deal of talant. Kid Rock has stage presence. As for his music, well, it sounds really catchy, but exceptionally weak (in my mind anyway).

To me, it's really a matter of honesty. Him, n'synch, bsb, britney, milli vanilli, whoever, they aren't or weren't putting out honest music. It has no soul, and therefore I have no use for it. But I take comfort when I realize that in a year or two, his 'fans' will be saying "Kid Rock? That's OLD..."

What starts out as total fluff will always blow away if you wait long enough.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.