Anyone think 80's guitarists sucked

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
08/12/2000 3:15 am
quote:
Originally posted by Slink:
Hendrix, Clapton, Townsend and company did just about everything left to be done. Slink

U need to listen to jazz.

# 1
loner92
loner92
08/12/2000 4:42 am
quote:
Originally posted by Slink:
What the hell? Since when did TALENT matter? Sorry, but as a punk I find this forum ludicrous. Who cares who copied who with fingertapping? Hendrix, Clapton, Townsend and company did just about everything left to be done. And I hate Van Halen. Eighties music is no less horrible than seventies music seemed in the eighties. Sheesh...
Slink

This forum is aimed at guitarists, what do you expect? Just because you shun talent doesnt mean we should. I can't stand punk music, I think it's boring, un-creative, based heavily on image, and incredibly redundant.
But that's just my opinion, I'm not going to try to force it on you.

# 2

08/12/2000 6:22 pm
The last thing a punk rocker has to worry about is TALENT. I won't rag on the whole genre, because it isn't all bad (some of the older stuff, Velvet Underground, even some Ramones, etc.). But now, punk isn't about talent. It's hardly even about music, just image (anti-society, anarchist type of stuff (at least for the punks around here it is)), mundane repetitions of powerchords, and inchoherent lyrics caughed out of someone who sounds like they have lockjaw. So if you're going to go ragging on the forum and my good friends Van Halen you may as well just leave.
# 3
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
08/13/2000 7:37 pm
Just my opinion... I love punk music. I love heavy metal. I love jazz. I love classic rock. I love '80s music. See a pattern here? I think I can listen to almost anything and pick out something that I really think is interesting about it. As far as punk goes, you guys are listening to the wrong kind if you don't like it. Try listening to Pennywise sometime. You might not like how the guitarist doesn't get real technical w/ the guitar, but you will know that he plays very catchy riffs and the singer can write helluva good songs! Vai is still the man, though.

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 4
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
05/04/2005 8:44 pm
Dude i dont understand it, how can this thread go from people telling other people to stop saying one particular genre sucks because they dont like it back to members doing it....punk is great. It wasnt meant to be flashy or anything like some of the stuff Van halen or Hendrix was doing. It was there to convey a message..(sometimes i wonder if its stilll there anymore..but nevertheless) Its against authority and doing your own thing man, but I can understand how you can say its turned more towards image, as an example, i love green day and back in the 90s they used to just wear w/e who cares ya know? while there newest album comes with a change in appearance. They have changed more toward the cliqued "punk rocker". Its sad to think people will say punk sucks because of some punk bands being obsessed with how there image rather then makeing sure that message still lives on in there music. I mean i love all kinds of music and thats what i try to convey to this kid i know who is always stuck on oh all his idols are the only talented ones and everyone elses style of music sucks. As a guitarist you should appreciate all music, thats how u draw on your own style, u expierment withall types of music to find ur style and what u like and what u dont.Idk i dont think anyone that says only there style is the way to go and to hell with everyone elses music should be able to call themselves a guitarist.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/04/2005 9:00 pm
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0xDude i dont understand it, how can this thread go from people telling other people to stop saying one particular genre sucks because they dont like it back to members doing it....punk is great. It wasnt meant to be flashy or anything like some of the stuff Van halen or Hendrix was doing. It was there to convey a message..(sometimes i wonder if its stilll there anymore..but nevertheless) Its against authority and doing your own thing man, but I can understand how you can say its turned more towards image, as an example, i love green day and back in the 90s they used to just wear w/e who cares ya know? while there newest album comes with a change in appearance. They have changed more toward the cliqued "punk rocker". Its sad to think people will say punk sucks because of some punk bands being obsessed with how there image rather then makeing sure that message still lives on in there music. I mean i love all kinds of music and thats what i try to convey to this kid i know who is always stuck on oh all his idols are the only talented ones and everyone elses style of music sucks. As a guitarist you should appreciate all music, thats how u draw on your own style, u expierment withall types of music to find ur style and what u like and what u dont.Idk i dont think anyone that says only there style is the way to go and to hell with everyone elses music should be able to call themselves a guitarist.

This IS a pretty old thread, and most of the posters aren't around to defend themselves, so I will defend them. Punk's message was lost long ago. The only punk band you've mentioned as of yet is Greenday, and up until their most recent album, they had sold out like no other. Besides, Greenday is just a more contrived version of the Clash, which is basically just the lovechild of the Ramones and the Sex Pistols all having sex. The message of punk, at least as a respectable message, died with the Clash, Bad Religion, Anti Flag, The Dead Kennedys, and that whole era.

But as far as Greenday is concerned, I'm ecstatic that a punk band is expressing a recognizable political opinion instead of pissing around like these new punkers tend to do. After they released "Nimrod" I was sure they were a dead band, I'm glad that they've come back with a spine.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
05/04/2005 10:05 pm
I knew i was gonna get *** raped for the way i put some of my opinons in that post, but i didnt think it would be the infamous Jollyman :) but lets hope Bush stirs up enough conflict to bring punk back to life.
# 7
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
05/04/2005 10:10 pm
Haha I gota shock when I began to read this because I wondered who all those members were!
# 8
Joe03
Joe03
05/05/2005 1:48 am
billy idol was from the 80's i believe and he just made the whole decade bad, but SRV was in the 80's with him being there you cant say the 80's sucked.
but i think eric clapton was the most influentual and best guitarist ever, incept for hendrix. If any of you listen to clapton live it is just amazon how smooth he plays but so raw with passion. and todays music mostly metal i think is an embarrassment to the music industry

-Joe
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/05/2005 2:42 am
Originally Posted by: Joe03and todays music mostly metal i think is an embarrassment to the music industry

-Joe

Which form of metal?

For instance, would you say a band like Guns and Roses is an embarassment compared to, say, Eric Clapton? More specifically a guitarist like Slash when pitted against Clapton?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
05/05/2005 12:30 pm
I think I'll just set idle on this one and keep my thoughts to myself. Usually I'm all for joining in, but I don't feel particularly lucky on this one.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 11
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/05/2005 5:39 pm
"metal" you hear on the radio does not represent real metal and its sub-genres(the radio junk happens to be 'hard rock crap' at best)

The 80's were one of musics best decades.As a whole,guitarists and standards have taken a step back in the past decade and a half IMO
Try once,fail twice...
# 12
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
05/06/2005 12:28 am
Yeah, and on the 80s topic once again, Jolly said Guns n Roses. How can you say 80s music sucked, when it was filled with such influential talents that were and still are models for all guitarists? I was wondering why no one had mentioned Slash yet since ive seen such Guns n Roses fans around this site. Still havent heard Claptons work, should, but havent gotten around to it so I cant comment on that. As for Van Halen I think he's amazing but theres a ton of other guitarists that are equally as awesome, they just dont get recognized as often. And I have to agree with Chuck, the decades past have seen alot better music in general, it was better in its structure and complexity, and idk seems to mean more. I cant seem to find a current band that equals Led, or GNR, or even Sex Pistols or Anti-Flag. There have been good bands the past 10, 15 years but idk I havent seen any of the stuff from back then. Music is ever evolving, i guess.
# 13
faygo_d
faygo_d
05/06/2005 2:17 am
I give much props to all the 80s rock groups. they had little to work with
technology wise. and still had the ability to rock the world enough to inspire
all my favorite rock groups today. EVH I have not heard much of but Metallica, skid row, cinderella, guns n roses all rocked
# 14
chickofthe80s
chickofthe80s
11/23/2005 10:36 pm
yes....Eddie Van Halen does shred...like hell he does. but i dont think that all 80s bands were based solely on Eddie Van Halen himself. 80's bands ARE awesome and they DID shred. but everyone is subjected to their own opinion. yeah sure 80's bands did steal some tricks from Eddie. but i think that most of the bands stole their "stuff" from Clapton....not Eddie. Eddie did learn quite a bit from Clapton also. Eddie does have a totally awesome way of handling his guitars. He shreds. but 80s bands werent copying eddie. they learned from him. and as a rocker, you shouldnt have the balls to say that Eminem, out of all people, is an awesome artist. sure he's the only white person that knows how to rap but come on now. a true rocker sticks to his guns. the crap i hear on the radio today makes my ears bleed. even metallica's new stuff sucks. Eddie is not the only one who played how he felt. other artists may have copied other artists guitar work but when another guitarist tries to copy the other guitarist it never sounds like anything near the original. the artists copy other artists work but soon they play it so much and make changes to it that it becomes their own work. it may still sound like another artists' work but it has their own twist and their own personality added on to it. again, 80s guitarists do NOT suck. they did not copy eddie. saying that everyone copied from eddie is a bold thing to say. because in the end, you realize that everyone copied from someone. a lot of 80's bands got their material from older bands, whether from the 60's or 70's. and if you read the papers, you dont hear them all saying "oh we got our stuff from eddie" you hear them talkin bout how they tried to get a sound like their favorite artists. while eddie van halen is one of the most awesome guitar shredders, he is not everyone's idol.
# 15
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/23/2005 11:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollyson Punk's message was lost long ago.

Yes.
As Slash put it, "Punk was cool for the first year, but after that I'm sorry but it was just gay." I'm not out to flame punk, but Jollys got a point.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/26/2005 12:19 am
Originally Posted by: ezshuffle
now if anyone could explain rap to me i would be forever grateful...

Black guys who like to write poetry. It's kinda classy actually.
A bunch of guys sitting around writing poetry and then getting together at a poetry reading and sharing their thoughts with other like minded individuals.
Some of them even put out poetry albums so they can share their talents with the world. I think it's really quaint. Who knew that gansta type guys were so sensitive?
# 17
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
11/26/2005 1:03 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeBlack guys who like to write poetry. It's kinda classy actually.
A bunch of guys sitting around writing poetry and then getting together at a poetry reading and sharing their thoughts with other like minded individuals.
Some of them even put out poetry albums so they can share their talents with the world. I think it's really quaint. Who knew that gansta type guys were so sensitive?

LMFAO!!! well put
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
Ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette
Rememb'rin' what she said
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI'm a super hero. It's what I do.
# 18
iluvkirkhammett
iluvkirkhammett
11/26/2005 1:44 pm
Anyone who thinks that all 80's guitarists sucked just need to listen to Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, Ride the Lightning or Kill 'Em All to see how awesome Metallica, more so Kirk Hammett and even Dave Mustaine are.
# 19
Clark55
Clark55
12/05/2005 5:25 pm
so you are sayin that jimmy page(led zeppelin), ace frehley(KISS),slash(guns n roses) etc etc arent that good?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.