Anyone think 80's guitarists sucked

pogohead
pogohead
12/05/2005 7:30 pm
CC Deville sucked, but a lot of 80's guitarists started a lot of what i learned as a kid, so i'd be lying if i said it was all bad
# 1
zorch
zorch
12/06/2005 6:04 am
jimmy page finger tapped a long time ago .did you ever see the song remains the same .since ive been loving you
# 2
pogohead
pogohead
12/06/2005 11:25 am
Originally Posted by: CW14Was that supposed to be funny? Because it was.

I think he had a good point. I used to hate rap with a passion but after listening to the first Eminem album I actually found something I liked. Not only is his rhythm fantastic but the rhymes are soooo funny, it makes up for the background music.
# 3
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/10/2005 6:20 pm
Originally Posted by: guywithaguitarOk I heard someone say that the 80's guitarists were awesome, wrong they totally sucked they sucked worse than I do. Also I know alot of people like shred, don't get me wrong I do to, but doesn't anyone know who started all of it. He was the greatest guitarists and still is if he made a new album, Eddie Van Halen, all these shredders wouldn't be able to tap and dive bomb without Eddie. The only 3 shredders I like are Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Vai. Here is why guitar players in the 80s sucked big time. They copied Eddie like no other, they played as fast as they could, sure they played faster than him, but they couldn't bring that awesome rhythm he had, no guitarists has that, I'm sorry but all I see is people saying how Satriani and Malmsteen are so good, blah blah blah. I don't know if you know this but all the shredders can read music, know all the scales, and such. Eddie on the other hand just plays what sounds right, and to me that makes him a Beethoven on guitar. In an interview he said he laughed when he saw all these guitarists tapping, they used them as tricks, and he just incorporates them into his songs. But he did mention he liked Vai and Joe. Another thing that gets me is that VAi took lessons from Joe, and sounds kinda like him in the sense they both shred. Eddie's biggest influences were Eric Clapton (awesome awesome guitarists by the way, there is no music without the blues)and Allan Holdsworth, but guess what he sounds nothing like them at all. Please reply, your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Music of today sucks and as a rocker it saddens me to say that the only person in the Biz today that has much much talent and I give much props to his Eminem, no matter what you say about him being crazy, if you listen to one of his 2 LP's you'll find one song that you will like, I particularly like all of them.

sry but i think all rap is bad, im more rock, and i think 80s rock was pretty good
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 4
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
12/11/2005 2:55 am
Lets start a petition to have the definition of the word 'rap' to
'vocal defecation' in the dictionary.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/11/2005 7:57 am
I think the 80's was the best decade for the guitar. Don't get me wrong I love classics from the 70's and the golden oldies but the eighties really defined rock imo. The ninties however really were terrible to rock. I like some grunge stuff but it was the worst decade yet. Hopefully in rocks case history repeats itself and we see another golden age rather than a decline.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/11/2005 7:57 am
Originally Posted by: Fenderallthewaysry but i think all rap is bad, im more rock, and i think 80s rock was pretty good

Hah! It is to laugh!

Back in the 50's, Beatniks were doing poetry readings over a rhythm section, usually an acoustic bass and bongo drums. Rap ain't nothin' new.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/11/2005 12:26 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaI think the 80's was the best decade for the guitar. Don't get me wrong I love classics from the 70's and the golden oldies but the eighties really defined rock imo. The ninties however really were terrible to rock. I like some grunge stuff but it was the worst decade yet. Hopefully in rocks case history repeats itself and we see another golden age rather than a decline.

I agree, most of te technical advances in rock guitar playing came from the 80's - Vai, Satriani, Becker, Malmsteen to name but a fraction. The good players were true greats in the 80's... I know they were influenced by 70's players such as Richie Blackmore & Eddie VH etc but they rose the bar in the 80's to a level which has not been matched to date.
Sure there were lots of "the scale goes up, the scale goes down" players too but at least they could play their instruments. 99% of all bands this decade (and the later half of the 90's) can only play a few chords and they manage to make onto the front of Guitar Magazine... what the hell is that all about!!??
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/11/2005 4:21 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanSure there were lots of "the scale goes up, the scale goes down" players too but at least they could play their instruments. 99% of all bands this decade (and the later half of the 90's) can only play a few chords and they manage to make onto the front of Guitar Magazine... what the hell is that all about!!??

People got sick of hearing purposeless, mastubatory, soulless, over-the-top guitar solos (and the whole hair metal asthetic of perpetual sophemoric partying and hedonistic persuits).

Sure, it's fun for a while, but it doesn't reflect reality and it gets old.

Of course, the 90's "Alternative" asthetic was taken too far as well, but that's usually the pattern with all cultural and artistic movements.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 9
pogohead
pogohead
12/11/2005 5:10 pm
Some times its nice to hear a bit of good old fret-wankin' though, as long as it actually makes you go '****, how did he do that?!'
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/11/2005 9:10 pm
Originally Posted by: pogoheadSome times its nice to hear a bit of good old fret-wankin' though, as long as it actually makes you go '****, how did he do that?!'

Absolutely (Christ, I'm listening to Primus right now).

But any good thing can get taken too far.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 11
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
12/12/2005 2:49 am
I haven't yet posted on this topic, so here it is!

I think 80's rock was good, yay! :)

I think 80's pop/comercial music/one hit wonders, screwed the music industry over, booo!!! :mad:

I think 80's guitar playing was invented to give people something to play while they show off at the guitar shop :D kidding
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 12
parrotheada1a
parrotheada1a
01/02/2006 5:32 pm
Originally Posted by: pogoheadSome times its nice to hear a bit of good old fret-wankin' though, as long as it actually makes you go '****, how did he do that?!'

Rep inbound. You're so right it isn't funny. I went into GC a couple weeks ago and saw a couple of teenagers trying to sound like Satriani. Nothing new in that. What was fun to watch was their collective jaws dropping to the floor as a much older guy picks up a strat and plays the same thing, note for note without any distortion. Yes my jaw was on the floor too, and I got more than a little satisfaction listening to this guy play for about another 30 minutes or so. That was after the kids & their girlfreinds left. :cool:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Still learning. One riff at a time. [/FONT]
# 13
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
01/02/2006 6:26 pm
KEEP ON SNIFFIN' TILL YER BRAIN GOES POP
:D :cool: :D
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 14
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/02/2006 6:37 pm
once you pop, you can't stop...
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/02/2006 9:34 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyKEEP ON SNIFFIN' TILL YER BRAIN GOES POP
:D :cool: :D

Lacquerhead knows what one desires, lacquerhead sets his SKULL ON FIIIIRE!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 16
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
01/02/2006 10:31 pm
YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!

PRIMUS SUCKS!!!
PRIMUS SUCKS!!!
PRIMUS SUCKS!!!

(Not in a bad way...)

METOOB
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.