View post (Anyone think 80's guitarists sucked)

View thread

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/04/2005 9:00 pm
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0xDude i dont understand it, how can this thread go from people telling other people to stop saying one particular genre sucks because they dont like it back to members doing it....punk is great. It wasnt meant to be flashy or anything like some of the stuff Van halen or Hendrix was doing. It was there to convey a message..(sometimes i wonder if its stilll there anymore..but nevertheless) Its against authority and doing your own thing man, but I can understand how you can say its turned more towards image, as an example, i love green day and back in the 90s they used to just wear w/e who cares ya know? while there newest album comes with a change in appearance. They have changed more toward the cliqued "punk rocker". Its sad to think people will say punk sucks because of some punk bands being obsessed with how there image rather then makeing sure that message still lives on in there music. I mean i love all kinds of music and thats what i try to convey to this kid i know who is always stuck on oh all his idols are the only talented ones and everyone elses style of music sucks. As a guitarist you should appreciate all music, thats how u draw on your own style, u expierment withall types of music to find ur style and what u like and what u dont.Idk i dont think anyone that says only there style is the way to go and to hell with everyone elses music should be able to call themselves a guitarist.

This IS a pretty old thread, and most of the posters aren't around to defend themselves, so I will defend them. Punk's message was lost long ago. The only punk band you've mentioned as of yet is Greenday, and up until their most recent album, they had sold out like no other. Besides, Greenday is just a more contrived version of the Clash, which is basically just the lovechild of the Ramones and the Sex Pistols all having sex. The message of punk, at least as a respectable message, died with the Clash, Bad Religion, Anti Flag, The Dead Kennedys, and that whole era.

But as far as Greenday is concerned, I'm ecstatic that a punk band is expressing a recognizable political opinion instead of pissing around like these new punkers tend to do. After they released "Nimrod" I was sure they were a dead band, I'm glad that they've come back with a spine.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...