Bad news regarding Jimi Hendrix songs

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/01/2015 3:09 am
I regret to have to tell you that we were unable to renew the license for our Jimi Hendrix song lessons. We're very sorry that we won't be able to provide you with those lessons anymore. We tried very hard to avoid this outcome, but we just weren't able to get the publisher to renew the license.

We hope you took advantage of the Jimi Hendrix contest we ran. We weren't able to tell you that the songs were in jeopardy of being taken down, but that contest was our way of giving you a hint to watch them now. The winner of the contest will be picked January 5.

We have some new songs from a different artist about to be announced in mid-January. That announcement will be as exciting as this one is sad. Hopefully, when we announce those new songs, you will be so happy you will be able to forgive this loss.

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to keep these great Jimi Hendrix songs for you. Please know that I really tried hard on this and I do everything that I can to get you great songs.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
JJ90
JJ90
01/01/2015 2:51 pm
Man this is such a huge bummer! I'm almost at a loss for words. Definitely not a great way to start 2015 as a GT-member.

I remember completing learning The Wind Cries Mary and Little Wing by Anders. Two must-learn songs in my opinion for almost every guitarist. Little Wing I can now play with ease, but The Wind Cries Mary I planned on revisiting for re-learning some parts which I haven't played in a while.

I surely hope none of the other song lessons will suffer the same fate of being removed from GT anytime soon or next year. It actually worries me that other song lessons have the same risk.

All I hope is that GT can bring back these great songs and tutorials. I had a list of Hendrix songs I wanted to learn at GT so I'm hugely disappointed. I hope that sometime this year or next year GT can somehow renew the license so we can all enjoy these lessons once more. Hendrix song lessons were one of the reasons I actually joined GT so I hope you can understand my utter disappointment.

Could you perhaps provide me with a list of the song lessons removed? Ofcourse I mentioned Little Wing and The Wind Cries Mary, but there were other lessons which I wanted to learn.

JJ
# 2
dboncher
dboncher
01/01/2015 4:18 pm
I don't know how often licenses do not get renewed. But is there anyway we could get a notification. Yesterday I thought I had a problem with my connection because Little Wing in my favorites wouldn't load. A notification would have saved me some time trying to figure out the problem. I have only been a member for 3 months. If it happens again, I probably won't try so hard to figure it out.
# 3
whEEZER25
Full Access
whEEZER25
Full Access
01/01/2015 6:38 pm
well that really blows considering I was in the middle of learning some of those tunes and had it on my bucket list to learn all of them. bad start to my new years resolution...
# 4
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
01/01/2015 9:47 pm
Hi Jon,
I'm sad to hear the Hendrix news, especially as I hadn't realized that GT song licences may be short time-limited and may be 'in jeopardy of being taken down', as you say. Given the situation, wouldn't it be fairer for the GT Song List to include the dates at which each song licence is up for renewal? This might help people prioritise their practice program and avoid leaving them in the lurch.......
Regards, Steve
# 5
SMH99
SMH99
01/01/2015 10:16 pm
Boooo! Can't you try harder? Ander's Jimi lessons are one of the reasons I stuck with GT for another year.
# 6
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
01/01/2015 11:36 pm
If I can add my two cents...

I honestly never use this site to learn songs. Whenever I want to learn a song I just find the most accurate tab out there and I listen to the song. So if any of you still want to learn some Hendrix songs, Tab Pro has some of the best tabs for ALL of his songs. I think it's like 4 bucks to sign up for the full version of Tab Pro for an entire YEAR. Tab Pro also plays the song within the tab, it has all the instruments, and you can slow it down. It's great.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can find a lot of his backing tracks for free, or purchase them in a Hal Leonard play along book.

Also, this video does a great job explaining how to create your own songs in the style of Hendrix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR7SKgPNyZs
# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/01/2015 11:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Steve BarrowHi Jon,
I'm sad to hear the Hendrix news, especially as I hadn't realized that GT song licences may be short time-limited and may be 'in jeopardy of being taken down', as you say. Given the situation, wouldn't it be fairer for the GT Song List to include the dates at which each song licence is up for renewal? This might help people prioritise their practice program and avoid leaving them in the lurch.......
Regards, Steve

Such dating would provide a warning to download those lessons approaching expiration. ;)

Jon -- Have you/GT experienced this before? Has GT won and then lost licensing of specific songs/artist catalogs?
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/01/2015 11:58 pm
Sorry I gave you guys the impression that this is something that might happen at any moment to other songs. That is not the case. This is an isolated problem just for songs written by Jimi Hendrix. There are no other songs in jeopardy of being removed, you don't have to plan your practice schedule around songs going out of license. Other than this, nothing bad is going to happen.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
Edguitar
Edguitar
01/02/2015 1:33 am
I was in the middle of both "Little Wing" and "Hear My Train A Coming". I had even tuned my Acoustic guitar down to C just to learn Hear My Train.

I logged in the other day and couldn't find Little Wing and was wondering what happened. So I went over to find Hear My Train and that's when I knew something was wrong.

This is a total bummer. The reason I had joined was basically to grow my Hendrix repertoire, so I may have to bid farewell for now.

Thank you for what I did learn, at least it was not all in vain. :o
# 10
guitarwiz1
guitarwiz1
01/02/2015 8:14 pm
This bums me out as well.

I got the first two bars of the solo to Purple Haze down...now I'm at a stand still. I do have several copies of the tabs in some of my assorted books, so learning what to play isn't a problem. It just makes it easier to do stuff with someone showing me the way.
# 11
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/02/2015 8:43 pm
Hal Leonard (the big music print publisher) has a video song lesson site, that has some of the Jimi Hendrix titles. You can buy them individually for $2-4 each. They aren't as detailed as our lessons, but it might be your best alternative right now:

http://www.guitarinstructor.com/
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 12
JJ90
JJ90
01/02/2015 10:00 pm
Thank you for at least providing us with an alternative link to a Hendrix lesson Jon. But in short GT's Hendrix song tutorials were the best on the web. Period!

And I absolutely believe you guys did everything to renew the license, so no hard feelings against you guys!

But still I think everyone has that one burning question: Is there a chance that the Hendrix song tutorials will reappear on GT? I would like it very much if you can somehow provide us with an answer on that. Is there no chance at all? Can you guys try to renew the license next year? Or are you guys not planning on trying to renew the license at all? Or is all of this completely uncertain at the moment?

No matter the answer, I think a lot of people want some sort of closure on this, myself included. Even if you guys won't try to renew the license at all, I won't hold any grudges. Could you please tell us?

Thanks in advance.

JJ
# 13
marko87s
marko87s
01/02/2015 10:19 pm
This is all very sad, I was excited to work on Hendrix lessons, but sadly my skills are still somewhere in the basics, so I'm slowly working towards there and didn't really tackle advanced songs like Hendrix. I took a peek at one of the lessons and it was amazingly detailed and well presented though....

With or without Hendrix lessons, GT remains the best place to learn guitar, you guys have provided me with an opportunity to grow as I never did before and I deeply thank all the team for helping me rediscover love for guitar :)
Don't let moments like these discourage you in doing all the amazing work with this site.
# 14
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/02/2015 11:52 pm
Thanks for all the support on this. I know it is difficult to accept the situation, so I appreciate that many of you have taken the opportunity to compliment the lessons we make and the work we put into getting the songs in the first place.

JJ90 asked for closure. I don't think we'll ever stop trying to get the Hendrix songs back, but don't get your hopes up. If you have your heart set on learning Hendrix songs right now, give Hal Leonard a few bucks and you're all set. GT will try to get them back on here, but again don't get your hopes up.

Meanwhile, in about a week there will be an announcement with some new songs you'll really like. So stay tuned for that.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 15
RCB-CA-USA
RCB-CA-USA
01/03/2015 3:25 am
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777If I can add my two cents...

I honestly never use this site to learn songs. Whenever I want to learn a song I just find the most accurate tab out there and I listen to the song. So if any of you still want to learn some Hendrix songs, Tab Pro has some of the best tabs for ALL of his songs. I think it's like 4 bucks to sign up for the full version of Tab Pro for an entire YEAR. Tab Pro also plays the song within the tab, it has all the instruments, and you can slow it down. It's great.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can find a lot of his backing tracks for free, or purchase them in a Hal Leonard play along book.

Also, this video does a great job explaining how to create your own songs in the style of Hendrix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR7SKgPNyZs

Cool. Thank you!
# 16
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
01/03/2015 8:16 am
You're welcome! :)
# 17
JJ90
JJ90
01/03/2015 11:13 am
Thank you for your reply Jon. That is enough for me to know! Looking forward already to doing some other excellent lessons here!
# 18
maggior
maggior
01/05/2015 3:49 am
Wow, this is definitely a bummer! I'm relieved to hear that the other songs aren't in jeopardy.

Sure you can find tabs and stuff, but Anders and Tom did such an incredible job in teaching these songs in a way I think can't be matched. They dug deeper into the how's and why's, not just the notes.

To see the amount of effort that went into making those lessons go to waste upsets me. The detail in Pali Gap was ridiculous!
# 19
Sinnerman
Sinnerman
01/05/2015 5:55 am
...fall into the sea. Eventually.

Thanks for the honest update Jon. It's a real shame but I'm confident that you'll continue to invest in GuitarTricks. I thought that I'd joined a tuition site, I actually joined a community.

Very excited about the coming announcement!

Chris
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.