Taking an educational loan

Slow Diver
Slow Diver
06/13/2002 6:14 pm
I have been considering going to a music college or an audio recording school. My "dream school"( i guess many people feel that way :) ) is berklee but in any case if I go to study there I will have no other choice but taking an educational loan that can be repaid in 15-20 years after graduation. Do you think that this is resoanable, having in mind that I am non-american citizen? Do you know people who are/were in similar situation and if yes can you tell me how thy dealt with the problem, did they made it for the repayment. Any feedback on the subject will be appreciated.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
06/13/2002 6:39 pm

Taking any sort of a loan as a musician can be hazardous. Chances are you won't be able to make any money when you graduate, and you'll end up working some crappy job to pay off the loan.

Careers in music are either boom or bust, so make sure you really want to take that chance.

# 2
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
06/16/2002 2:52 pm
The thing is that I really want to become a proffesional musician and/or sound engeneer but I don't know what are the chances. I mean that I don't want to fight for a cause that is lost by default. I don't have any info about people who have taken duch loans and that is what I am actually asking -- do you think that if I sit on my ass and work hard during college I will be able to find some job in some studio or whatever that can help me pay off my debt in spite of the fact that I am not a US citizen.
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/16/2002 8:43 pm
If you aren't a US citizen, you might have a chance of getting a special Scholarship. Check it out with Berklee. There are also University exchanges that allow good students to go and work in a foreign university. By the way, American Education is WAYYYYY overpriced. I couldn't pay more than a month of Berklee, and I had a half paid scolarship in music at the university of Florida, and it still was 10 times too much for me. Try a good music school back home, if you are good, you"ll get a job (I'm a working musician, and I am not a Berklee or MI or UF graduate, but I'm a hard worker and I've got a good sense of humor)

There are hidden opportunities in music. Just go around in the music circles of your area, good things might happen. You will never be a rock star, or the guy on the GW cover, but lots of people make decent money doing a job they love. And not all of them went to a music school by the way, but all of them have a "pro attitude". Good luck...
# 4
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
06/18/2002 3:25 pm
Yes, I know everything about the scholarships but the maximum covers the tuition fees. And there are another 10000$ per year for living. Full tuition scholarship get no more than 5% of the students. So having in mind that the international students are around 35% of the students the basic calculations show that the remaining 30% of the students pay about 15000-20000$/year which is SICK. I wonder how they do that, especialy the ones that are from the Eastern European countries

I agree with you that the pro attitude is the most important. I am far from giving up just because I cant get a music education. The music schools, here in Bulgaria are two and I've heard many people say that they suck-- I heard that the education there hasn't changed since totalitarian times

# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/18/2002 8:35 pm
Try another school, in another country, where things are way cheaper.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.