Hello Everyone

newbie75
newbie75
11/16/2014 4:50 pm
I have been a member for a bit but every time I get ready to really make a run at learning this art something happens in my life and It shuts me down. I got my first guitar a little over a year ago and soon after I joined guitartricks. Well, on March 2nd of this year my father lost his battle with liver cancer. I really want to learn how to play and I have set a personal goal. This time next year I want to be able to tell people that I can play the guitar. It's not going to be easy but I know I can do it. I just have to be patient and know when to step away and take a break. I am not looking to become a guitar prodigy. I just want to be able to pick up the guitar and play some of my favorite songs. Classic rock, old style country as well as modern country are my favorite genre's. I'm sure this is gonna be an interesting endeavor and hopefully this time next year I can jam with others. God Bless!!
# 1
bearrogers
Full Access
bearrogers
Full Access
11/16/2014 9:18 pm
Sorry about your father. Mine never made it past 68. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I am. I like all styles and genre's of music and I can say, that at 61 years old, I've recently learned some acoustic finger picking techniques and I practice Lisa's song projects and practice songs almost once a day. Now I'm thinking I have to learn how to sing. Maybe Santa Claus will bring me vocal lessons for Christmas! Have fun! The journey of life is much richer with music, and more so when you create it !
# 2
Kasperow
Kasperow
11/16/2014 10:23 pm
Welcome to guitartricks. Hopefully things are gong to work out for you this time around :) If you just stick with it, even through the inevitable ruts and plateaus, you will be able to jam with others soon enough. I joined back in October 2012, having barely learnt how to play the basic open major chords before finding this site, and by September 2013, I had already jammed with 4 other independent musicians, and auditioned as lead-guitarist for a band (who I went on to rehearsing with for 3 weeks before they decided that my style didn't fit theirs, not that I wasn't good enough to play with them). All that in less than a year. If you stick with it, you can jam with friends and strangers alike in a couple of months. Just take your time, be patient and have fun :) And don't be afraid to ask on the forums. That's what they're here for :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.