how do you come up with imaginitive lyrics?

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/20/2005 9:35 pm
Originally Posted by: crazywolfNope! It"s good advice, and sometimes you can't shorten that, or don't want. I have a dictionary and a thesaurus with me at all times when I write also. Those things definately help out a lot!!!

So long as I'm not being redundant.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
paradyme
paradyme
02/22/2005 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: aiwassJust do like metallica. Write the most epic lyrics ever based on some obscure horror story, a movie, a book, etc. Nobody can disagree with me when i say that James Hetfield writes brilliant lyrics....

Btw, if all else fails, just start playing extreme metal, where nobody can hear what you are saying anyway;)

I disagree emphatically. I think he's terrifyingly predictable, and he is because if you can figure out who his source is, it's like a connect the dots puzzle- amusing when you're like 6 but after that... well not so much...
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 2
paradyme
paradyme
02/22/2005 12:03 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanHere's a tip from one of the best that I've passed on to my band's main lyricist.

On a TV special, they followed Mick Jagger around for a while with a camera, and he described his procedure for writing lyrics. Basically, he writes a whole bunch of prose (i.e. ordinary writing, without a poetic quality), as the inspiration hits, in a small notebook he carries with him everywhere. Then, he listens to whatever Keith or whoever is writing the music side of it has for music, and he'll review that for a while, until something he has written in his book seems to fit and he'll begin improvising lyrics based on the ideas in his book.

This method is pretty good, and our lyricist uses it almost exclusively now.

that works well - the thing is that you may have even a phrase that hits you... WRITE IT DOWN! Build off it later- you may not write The Wasteland in one sitting, but you may find that phrase becomming a line and maybe a verse. I would say become a verbal pack-rat! Write as much down as possible and do not delete anything. You'll be surprised by how quick things start coming together.

Oh yeah, and smoking herb helps too!

BONG!
-Sage Francis
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/22/2005 12:32 am
Originally Posted by: paradymeOh yeah, and smoking herb helps too!

BONG!

Let's try to keep our advice responsible. :rolleyes:
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/22/2005 1:23 am
Waking from a dream with it fresh in your mind is indespensible for writing emotive/epic lyrics...even more so when you have a night terror and it 'sticks with you' throughout the day...

I woke up today after a night long struggle of a dream(I'm actually mentally exhausted).It had quite a bit to do with the novel IT by stephen king,but different in so many different way's...not to mention I was experiencing it first hand...the feelings that passed through me,the pain I felt as I watched myself being slowly crushed under a slow moving train...worse than any snuff film ive ever seen.The train pushed off..I screamed,losing breath as the train surreally rolled over my spine and ruptured my lifes sustanince.

The emotions conveyed within dreams can be so foriegn...things that can never be felt while awake.Its not to say these feeling and events do not occur in reality..but the intensity lends different perspective...even though you wake up intact.
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
paradyme
paradyme
02/22/2005 2:32 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonLet's try to keep our advice responsible. :rolleyes:

I of course was referring to the non tobacco herbal blends you get at those stores that sell all the neat glass concoctions. That stuff is all for tobacco use only right? So I'm not sure what you mean by responsible. I'm trying to keep the readership from getting hooked on nicotine while helping to um.. -ahem- guide, yes guide them to an alternative that is neither intoxicating nor addictive, so I must ask for clarification here... ;)
-Sage Francis
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/22/2005 3:02 am
Originally Posted by: paradymeguide them to an alternative that is neither intoxicating nor addictive, so I must ask for clarification here... ;)

Not PHYSICALLY addictive, you mean
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/23/2005 1:19 am
I wrote lyrics about 10-15 minutes ago. I had the idea on the way home from work and I sat down and just started writing my ideas. Next thing I know I've got lyrics. I'd give some details but I get the feeling that speaking of "herbs" and "bongs" is irresponsible then I should just keep quiet. But they're good.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 8
paradyme
paradyme
02/23/2005 1:41 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI wrote lyrics about 10-15 minutes ago. I had the idea on the way home from work and I sat down and just started writing my ideas. Next thing I know I've got lyrics. I'd give some details but I get the feeling that speaking of "herbs" and "bongs" is irresponsible then I should just keep quiet. But they're good.

whatever it takes to bring it out of you. everybody has their own ways to bring it out, so while my suggestion works for me, well, I shouldn't say that- I can write lyrics regardless of my toxicology, but I find that I tend to be less inhibited lyrically and often more playful with my lyrics- my style lends itself readily to that, but it doesn't work for everyone. Glad you have somre lyrics down though- what kind of stuff do you write?

peace
-Sage Francis
# 9
paradyme
paradyme
02/23/2005 1:44 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonNot PHYSICALLY addictive, you mean

I must have been um... hungry and tired and a little bit confused... ;) I forget how this all started.

Hey any new recordings- I was actually going to name your band in the instrumental thread, because that stuff is DOPE!
-Sage Francis
# 10
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/23/2005 1:59 am
Originally Posted by: paradymeI must have been um... hungry and tired and a little bit confused... ;) I forget how this all started.

Hey any new recordings- I was actually going to name your band in the instrumental thread, because that stuff is DOPE!

Are you asking me? Because we have a name, hahaha. Thanks, though, but we won't have any new recordings until this summer.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 11
paradyme
paradyme
02/23/2005 7:37 pm
no I know the name, I meant name like to say your band's name as someone to check out. Let me know when you have more stuff out!
-Sage Francis
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/23/2005 8:34 pm
Originally Posted by: paradymeno I know the name, I meant name like to say your band's name as someone to check out. Let me know when you have more stuff out!

Well thanks a lot, man! I'll be sure to let you know when we finish our CD.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 13
Aurel
Aurel
02/27/2005 5:38 am
I steal phrases from the masters and rework them with my thesaurus. Its all about turning a phrase to make it fresh and subing words in phrases can lead you into something new and stimulate a different perspective.

"Before its all been done, or does it just seem so?"
" It all seems done before. But that just can't be so."

You can stumble on some great hooks this way. Just open your mind and play some word games. ;)
# 14
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/27/2005 9:42 pm
Originally Posted by: paradymeGlad you have somre lyrics down though- what kind of stuff do you write?

Just depends on my current observations. I'm quite the metal head so a lot of my lyrics are based around brutality and horror. At the same time I'm quite... progressive, to say the least so I don't always thrive on the above stated. I've had a number of personal experience/observations that I've written down and intend on making something with once I learn "how to put it". Some of my stuff is really stupid and utterly senseless ranting, but the majority of it, I'd say, is quite in depth and observant. My lyric writing is in spurts, I think up a good line then it goes dry, getting better though. It's just about letting it flow for me, I don't rush it.

Hulk Smash!!

# 15
fastelvis
fastelvis
03/11/2005 6:34 am
Aside from what is considered "standard arrangement", a couple of tips I received from successful songwriters:
1. The song should tell a complete story.
2. It should allow simple imagination to establish the meaning, trigger an emotion or relate directly to the experience. Not a lot of thought required by the listener.
3. All segments of the entire song (both lyric and instrument) should tie together in a logical sequence.

Now #3 is kind of vague, so think of a song like one piece of rope with different knots tied along it's length. The knots are different; some big, small, simple, complex and some repeat, but it is still the same piece of rope. i.e- If you start with chain, stay with chain, just tie different knots in it. Don't lose the "tone".

Since I'm more of a guitarist than a vocalist, I used to fall into the trap of forcing my lyrics/melodies to fit within a finished chord progression or entire instrumental arrangement (the knots were already tied). Now, when I find a nice guitar hook, I stop (tie that knot) and immediately try to dig out the emotion of the hook (soft rope, iron cable, hose, whatever). Translate that emotion to a real or imagined experience, then start writing the story (lyric/melody). Then I write the instrumental arrangement to fit the lyrics (tie different knots to fit the story without changing the material tone). This allows your lyrics to develop freely with more available vocabulary. You may also find yourself being more creative in the instrumental development as well.
I once thought a "Sweeping Arpeggio" was an Italian janitor.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.