View post (how do you come up with imaginitive lyrics?)

View thread

paradyme
paradyme
02/22/2005 12:03 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanHere's a tip from one of the best that I've passed on to my band's main lyricist.

On a TV special, they followed Mick Jagger around for a while with a camera, and he described his procedure for writing lyrics. Basically, he writes a whole bunch of prose (i.e. ordinary writing, without a poetic quality), as the inspiration hits, in a small notebook he carries with him everywhere. Then, he listens to whatever Keith or whoever is writing the music side of it has for music, and he'll review that for a while, until something he has written in his book seems to fit and he'll begin improvising lyrics based on the ideas in his book.

This method is pretty good, and our lyricist uses it almost exclusively now.

that works well - the thing is that you may have even a phrase that hits you... WRITE IT DOWN! Build off it later- you may not write The Wasteland in one sitting, but you may find that phrase becomming a line and maybe a verse. I would say become a verbal pack-rat! Write as much down as possible and do not delete anything. You'll be surprised by how quick things start coming together.

Oh yeah, and smoking herb helps too!

BONG!
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis