Les paul classic or Standard

Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/08/2002 4:45 am
Hi all,

As you may or may not know now. I am in the market for a les paul. I think I want a classic but just want to know if any of you have one, what model you have and how you like it. The studio models have the same electronics as the higher quality models however they are "not as good players" I have been told. Any feedback at all on Gibson or les paul would be appreciated.

THanks for reading my post,

Thomyorke575
# 1
James8831
James8831
06/08/2002 9:09 am
The idea that studios are not as good players as standards/classics should be complete BS as they are made with a very similar density wood,weigh about the same and i beleive they have the same neck profile. The only major difference is finish (no binding,etc).As you say they've all got the 490 series pups. I've played a recent studio and an old one ..they're fine..I don't think you'll find much wrong with the neck or anything else,playability wise... having said that all individual instruments vary.

I have a thin bodied Gibson "The Paul" 2 and while i won't say that this sustains as well as a standard Les Paul, it will sustain at least as well as an SG,because it has a slightly thicker body. I still love this cussed machine,neck (LP profile) is fine and the pups sound just as you'd expect.

One major point make sure you get it somewhere nearish (mine had a duff switch,a Gibson may need to go back to the shop), Gibson's QC is variable, make sure you inspect it thoroughly externally and also play it unplugged to check out it's natural sustain.

"'Ware the Quality Control, my son"

The studio is a fine guitar, and i think Les' original idea was to keep costs down by not putting any fancy bindings,inlays etc in it..in this respect some consider the studio "inferior".

Try a couple of studios against a couple of classics. Try a couple of Yamaha SBGS or a Gordon Smith if they have them too,they come very close to the LP sound..

Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 2
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/08/2002 4:23 pm
I think what the dealer meant by not as good player(referring to the studio) was that the neck on teh classic is slimmer as the 1960 was and therefore it is easier to play. I have yet to compare the two but I have looked on harmony central for feedback and I have seen alot of people suggest that the classic is a much more "playable" guitar due to the slimmer-tapered neck. I appreciate your time and suggestions I'll try out the guitars you mentioned.

THanks,

Thomyorke575
# 3
James8831
James8831
06/08/2002 4:54 pm
Thom -whoops ,You're right- the necks are different and the classics have hotter pups . Haven't been to Gibson's site for a while, i got confused with the old standard..

I just like lower end Gibsons :D
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 4
Slasher
Slasher
06/10/2002 6:00 pm
I personally own 2 classics and would never swap them for standards, I love everything bout them. Ok they are quite heavy for a guitar but hey, the sounds great for that bluesy rock thing. The only problem I have is string buzz on the low E string. But there's easy ways of gettin round them.
So to sum up I say get a classic, they are soooo good.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 5
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/10/2002 11:34 pm
What are your reasons for preferring the classic to a standard? Aren't the standards heavy also? Do you think the classic is a more "playable guitar" becasue of the thinner neck?

I appreciate your time

THomyorke575
# 6
Slasher
Slasher
06/11/2002 7:47 pm
I think that all LP's are heavy. Not many people seem to use Classics anymore, they all seem to use Standards or Studios. So there's the individualness too. The tapered neck is very playable and comfortable. It makes playing fast solo's at the bridge end easier, coz the strings are far apart so you don't accidentally catch another. N the nut end, it makes those hard to make chords a little easier coz its more narrow, so your not stretching too much. I've also had a little switch problem too, so make sure its ok before buyin one.
I think the finishing on the Studios are slighty lacking as well, they have a cheap look to them(just my opinion), n the Classic does have better pups. The hardwares different too, Classic has nickel, Studio has chrome, not sure if they make a difference.
As for buyin another make LP, it's not a LP if Gibson doesnt make it.
But at the end of the day, what I like you might not, so go try them both out n get the one your most impressed with.

# 7
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/11/2002 8:28 pm
Hi,

Yeah it seems everyone with a classic has the same reasons for buying a classic. I appreciate your time, I think a classic is the way to go. I love the lp custom however dont have nearly enough to get one $2500 thats dough. If I can get the money to buy one I will get a classic.

THanks again,

THomyorke575

# 8
Slasher
Slasher
06/11/2002 8:36 pm
Good choice my friend
# 9
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/11/2002 8:40 pm
I have been on ebay and have noticed I could get an 80's les paul custom for around $1300-1900. Does anyone have or know anything about the customs of the 80's? I love the look but dont know about the playability.

THomyorke575
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/16/2002 4:54 pm
I did a one-on-one comparison between a Gibson Les Paul Custom and a Yamaha SBG 1000 in 1984. The Yamaha won. I still have it. As I remember, it went like this:

[u]Gibson:[/u]

• seriously heavy

• mahogany neck, mahogany body with carved maple top

• single cutaway

• no strengthening at neck-headstock transition

• sloppy masking - paint smears on the binding

• mother-of-pearl inlays on head & fretboard

• rough ends on some of the frets

• three-position pickup selector

• 2 Tone & 2 Volume controls

• 2 humbucker pickups

• tunomatic bridge with stop tailpiece

• action set 'medium' - a bit high for my liking

• playability: good - string spacing about the same as an acoustic

• sound: very good - smooth, dark, almost muddy on neck pickup

• $1300 - case extra

[u]Yamaha:[/u]

• seriously heavy

• mahogany neck, mahogany body with carved maple top

• double cutaway

• 'volou' strengthening at neck-headstock transition

• excellent masking - no paint smears anywhere

• mother-of-pearl inlays on head & fretboard

• all frets smoothly crowned, no rough ends

• three-position pickup selector

• 2 Tone & 2 Volume controls with push-push (like a ball-point pen!) coil-tap switches

• 2 humbucker pickups

• tunomatic bridge with stop tailpiece

• action set 'low' - no fret buzz anywhere

• playability: very good - string spacing a bit narrower than the LP

• sound: excellent - smooth, sweet, better clarity than the LP, still very ballsy when cranked

• $640 - plush lined hardshell case included

A note about the neck-headstock transition: The part of the neck, where the nut is located, is a critical weak spot in many guitars. The layback angle of the head means that most of this part is cross-grain. The pocket cut into the head, above the nut, for the truss rod adjuster, further weakens this area. Gibsons seem to be particularly vulnerable in this regard. Ask any guitar tech about this, and you are likely to hear a lot of horror stories about Gibsons that 'lost their heads'. The Yamaha has a 'volou' (sp?); the neck 'flares' thicker on the back, adding a lot of strength to this area. It doesn't interfere with the playability at all. Its like the 'shoulders' of the head simply continue around to the back of the neck.

I went out that day to get the Les Paul Custom I had been dreaming of for years. I had no idea Yamaha made a similar guitar, but that's the one that came home with me.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/16/2002 5:19 pm
Hi all my friends,

Well I did it I bought my first les paul!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a les paul classic premium plus in trans amber. I saw it on ebay made an offer and bought it so I have yet to actually hold it but theirs a return guarentee so that not a problem. Its a 2001 and looks awesome it has 2 59' seymour duncan pickups in the place of the stock and no fret wear. I guess the original owner was a collecter who always goes to this same place and just traded it in for another more expensive guitar(so they told me). When I get it this week I'll post what I like and dislike about it.

I just wanted to thank everyone who took time to give me some advice I really appreciate it. The fellow with the yamaha I just read your post after I bought mine so I never had the opportunity to try out the yamaha model, hopefully I didnt make a huge mistake.

Thomyorke575
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/16/2002 5:32 pm
I don't buy a guitar unless I've played it first, so I hope that return policy is valid.

On the plus side, even if you decide to sell the LP, you can get all, or most of, your money back.

A guitar purchase is an intensely personal thing. My preferences aren't going to match yours. For instance, the slightly narrower string spacing on the Yamaha was a plus in my view. To you, that might be a strong reason to stay away from it.

Congatulations on the new addition to your family.

Enjoy!
L.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
Slasher
Slasher
06/16/2002 6:04 pm
Good pick ups you got there. Seymore Duncan are my choice of humbuckers. But yeah, it's always best to try a guitar out before you buy it. Hope you enjoy your LP.
# 14
Thomyorke575
Thomyorke575
06/16/2002 8:05 pm
Thanks guys,

I agree its always nice to play a guitar first however the two I have right now I bought on ebay and love.

Ironically I had an ibanez which I played and liked so I bought, the same for an ovation. I sold both of those and bought a thinline tel on ebay and a matin d-16gt on ebay. The two I bought on ebay I like much much more than those which I got at guitar center.

I agree its better to play an axe first b/f buying one but can you really tell in just say 10-30 if a guitar is right for you? I personally can't it takes me about a month, I like to try different strings maybe change the action even things as small as a different pick. Thats just me, I got a good deal I think I paid $1175 with shipping included for the lp classic prem plus. Its a 2001 and in new condition, I also love the trans amber finish. Even if I dont like it I think I could sell it for more than that. There's another on ebay right now for $1650+shipping so I think I got a good deal.

Maybe I just got lucky with my ebay experiences but everything I have bought I love and would never pay real retail prices again. I just cant say enough good things about ebay. I'd suggest looking their first if you know what your looking for.

Thanks to all,

Thomyorke
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.