An improvisation try

celikinal
celikinal
11/02/2014 11:18 pm
Hi, tried to improvise a solo over a Am rock/blues backing track,
Waiting for your suggestions about tone/playing.
Hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF2dN-6AdbA
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
11/03/2014 12:10 am
Sounds pretty good! I like the tone too.

One suggestion that might help make it more dynamic is to add some double stops here and there. Like playing the d and g strings on the 12th fret for example. It gives you a louder more emotional sound for the climactic parts of the track. Best used sparingly.

But good job overall.

~Rusty
# 2
celikinal
celikinal
11/03/2014 2:47 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777Sounds pretty good! I like the tone too.

One suggestion that might help make it more dynamic is to add some double stops here and there. Like playing the d and g strings on the 12th fret for example. It gives you a louder more emotional sound for the climactic parts of the track. Best used sparingly.

But good job overall.

~Rusty

Thank you very much for your response.
I agree that i rush stuff too much when i try to improvise. It feels like (at least to me) that i feel the need to "catch" the backing track.
# 3
maggior
maggior
11/03/2014 3:00 pm
Tried!?!?! I'd say you succeeded!!! That was awesome!!! Well done! Very clean articulate playing, and the tone sounded really nice.

As far as suggestions...

I really liked where you gave the music some space. There were a few spots where it seemed like a really long run of notes that could have used some space. Think of a singer or a horn player needing to take a breath.

Rusty's idea of adding more double stops to add drama and emotion is a good one. The ones you had in there sounded really good.

For the sections that become more intense, you could perhaps add some more dirt to the tone to acknowledge the intensity. You can do this by setting your amp so it is just about to "break up" and dig in with your pick more. Another approach is to set the amp up the same way (about to break up) and roll back your volume knob on your guitar a smidge. When you hit the intense part, you turn the volume all of the way up.

Another idea is to play some more riffs on the bass strings for more tonal variety. There you can bring the intensity level dooowwwwnnn....if you know what I mean.

Keep it up...that was some great playing!!
# 4
celikinal
celikinal
11/03/2014 7:21 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorTried!?!?! I'd say you succeeded!!! That was awesome!!! Well done! Very clean articulate playing, and the tone sounded really nice.

As far as suggestions...

I really liked where you gave the music some space. There were a few spots where it seemed like a really long run of notes that could have used some space. Think of a singer or a horn player needing to take a breath.

Rusty's idea of adding more double stops to add drama and emotion is a good one. The ones you had in there sounded really good.

For the sections that become more intense, you could perhaps add some more dirt to the tone to acknowledge the intensity. You can do this by setting your amp so it is just about to "break up" and dig in with your pick more. Another approach is to set the amp up the same way (about to break up) and roll back your volume knob on your guitar a smidge. When you hit the intense part, you turn the volume all of the way up.

Another idea is to play some more riffs on the bass strings for more tonal variety. There you can bring the intensity level dooowwwwnnn....if you know what I mean.

Keep it up...that was some great playing!!

Thank you very much for your kind words. Most of the time i repeat myself while soloing so i have an urge to place the licks i know on familiar chords in the backing track not to miss an opportunity :D
Really need to learn more licks...
# 5
maggior
maggior
11/03/2014 7:28 pm
Originally Posted by: celikinalThank you very much for your kind words. Most of the time i repeat myself while soloing so i have an urge to place the licks i know on familiar chords in the backing track not to miss an opportunity :D
Really need to learn more licks...

Don't we all! Just like we all need to practice!

Something that has finally started to click for me is adding little variations to the licks that I do know. Things like emphasizing a different note than I normally would, changing the timing of some of the notes, playing the notes in a different order.

Honestly, repetition didn't really jump out at me. Over a 4 or 5 minute jam, it's really hard not to repeat yourself.
# 6
bob99
bob99
11/03/2014 7:47 pm
Sounds great!
[FONT=Arial]
'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 Gibson LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Peavey Milestone Bass - Yamaha A3M - Laney IRT Studio - Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001 - Fishman TriplePlay[/FONT]
# 7
celikinal
celikinal
11/03/2014 9:30 pm
Originally Posted by: bob99Sounds great!

Thanks! :D
# 8
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
11/04/2014 1:01 am
Do you ever use these kind of backing tracks to actually write a piece over them? Meaning: instead of just improvising, take several days and actually come up with a set piece of lead guitar over it. This way you won't feel rushed and you can take as much time as you need to write whatever you want little by little.

You can even improvise multiple times and pick the best parts and put them together on one track.

This is just as important as improvising. Because you usually hold yourself to a higher standard when you're taking the time to actually record a set piece like this instead of improvising.
# 9
celikinal
celikinal
11/04/2014 5:21 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777Do you ever use these kind of backing tracks to actually write a piece over them? Meaning: instead of just improvising, take several days and actually come up with a set piece of lead guitar over it. This way you won't feel rushed and you can take as much time as you need to write whatever you want little by little.

You can even improvise multiple times and pick the best parts and put them together on one track.

This is just as important as improvising. Because you usually hold yourself to a higher standard when you're taking the time to actually record a set piece like this instead of improvising.

Thanks for the response!
Actually i "re record" the solos sometimes but it's mostly because i think it sucked:D Wrong notes played here and there detuned bends etc.
I never thought about writing as a way of learning so thank you for that advice. But most of the time it feels like cheating cause i want to improve my ability to improvise but if it helps, it helps.
Thanks again.
# 10
maggior
maggior
11/04/2014 7:03 pm
I think it's a good idea to go back and see what worked and what didn't. This way when you do it again, you can try to go for the things you knew worked before. If you improvise over the same track or song many times, I think this will happen naturally.

In my band, there are some songs where I improvise the solos. Some of the songs we've played often enough that my "improvised" solos really aren't any more. They evolved to a point where I'll basically play them the same each time, but I'll embellish it. That's when it gets fun because I don't worry too much about it...I have ideas formulated already.

I do hear what you are saying though...at some point, it's not really improvisation any more :).
# 11

11/04/2014 10:45 pm
Awesome awesome job. Liked ur tone and playing.
Great job. You will only get better the more you do it. And have fun too.
# 12
compart1
compart1
11/04/2014 11:31 pm
Hey celikinal... Like it alot.. good job.. will be waiting for the next version..! I think the guys gave some great advice also..
# 13
celikinal
celikinal
11/05/2014 8:09 pm
Thanks a lot !! :D
# 14
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
11/06/2014 2:39 pm
Just wanted to add my congratulations on your piece - very accomplished playing. I agree with a previous comment that it might benefit from more varied dynamics but hell, what do I know? I'd be proud to be able to play like you do.....Yours, Steve
# 15
celikinal
celikinal
11/06/2014 4:40 pm
Thank you :D
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.