Boss GT100 Multi effects pedal

King Leslie
King Leslie
10/22/2014 5:23 pm
Hi guys i want to purchase the Boss gt100 guitar multi effects pedal is there anyone that can tell me if it is a good choice to purchase, i like mostly rock music. Thanks any input will be appreciated.
Thanks Les
# 1
bob99
bob99
10/23/2014 1:08 pm
I have the desktop version, a GT-001. Incredible little box. Love the sounds!
[FONT=Arial]
'99 Historic '57 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty - '14 Gibson LP Studio Pro - PRS SE ZM - Peavey AT200 - Peavey Milestone Bass - Yamaha A3M - Laney IRT Studio - Blackstar HT5RH - Bugera V22 - THR10 - Boss GT-001 - Fishman TriplePlay[/FONT]
# 2
Rogerd99
Full Access
Rogerd99
Full Access
10/26/2014 4:47 pm
I've had the gt 100 for almost 2 years now, and am still very happy with it. There are many ways to use it, from running through the effects loop to the 4 cable method, too plugging in direct. A small bit of a learning curve but easily understandable for most users, ( readers ). There is too much for me to go into here as I don't want to be typing for an hour this morning. One feature I'll comment about is the ez-tone which has pre-created patches for all styles of music which gives you multiple tones in each style for instance 70's hard rock, 80's metal, blues, country, progressive, soul funk, jazz etc. Most of these sound GREAT and will nearly match the tones of most songs or come close enough so you can add a bit of any of the other effects on the GT-100 to compliment the tone. Also has features too allow you to set custom cabinets and amps with mic placement at different distances from the speakers and a lot more features. The computer interface is a very easy way to program and interact with the Boss GT. I have individual pedals also, however I never use them just the GT-100.
# 3
maggior
maggior
11/12/2014 6:07 pm
Originally Posted by: Rogerd99I've had the gt 100 for almost 2 years now, and am still very happy with it. There are many ways to use it, from running through the effects loop to the 4 cable method, too plugging in direct. A small bit of a learning curve but easily understandable for most users, ( readers ). There is too much for me to go into here as I don't want to be typing for an hour this morning. One feature I'll comment about is the ez-tone which has pre-created patches for all styles of music which gives you multiple tones in each style for instance 70's hard rock, 80's metal, blues, country, progressive, soul funk, jazz etc. Most of these sound GREAT and will nearly match the tones of most songs or come close enough so you can add a bit of any of the other effects on the GT-100 to compliment the tone. Also has features too allow you to set custom cabinets and amps with mic placement at different distances from the speakers and a lot more features. The computer interface is a very easy way to program and interact with the Boss GT. I have individual pedals also, however I never use them just the GT-100.

What is the "running it through the effect loop" method? Would you just connect the send/return of the pedal into the send/return of the amp? Is this the best way to use the amp sims with a regular amp?

Last night I experimented with the 4CM and forgot to turn the "S/R" effect on in the effect chain. The net effect was that the pre amp on my amp was completely bypassed. I thought that was interesting...though I don't know if that is really the correct way of accomplishing that.

I'm looking for the best connect configuration to be able to use the amp simulations in the pedal with my regular guitar amp.

Regarding the OP's question...I just got one of these myself last week. It is awsome! It's quite flexible yet very user friendly when you consider the complexity of the device. With it connected to my studio monitors, the amp simulations sounded fantastic. I made a recording of China Grove and was able to completely nail the guitar tones from the original recording. I was never able to do that with my old pedal, the Zoom G5.
# 4
Rogerd99
Full Access
Rogerd99
Full Access
11/12/2014 7:29 pm
Not exactly sure if this is the answer your looking for but here goes;

4 cable method

1) Back of Gt 100 output R === connect to effects loop return on your amp
2) Back of Gt 100 ext loop send === connects to the input on the front of your amp
3) Back of GT 100 ext loop return === connects to back of amp effects loop send
4) Back of Gt 100 input ===Hooks to Guitar

so now everything in the chain that shows up before the send/receive in the chain on your GT 100 window, and if the send/receive is on, gets sent through the front of your amp.... which allows you to use the EQ on your amp for tone control.

without the send/receive being set to the on position in the GT chain, everything goes through your effects loop on the back and makes the GT 100 your complete control.

The best way to use the amp sims..... imo.... is to turn everything in the chain on the GT 100 to off, except for the preamp simulation you want to use, and run it through the effects loop not the front of the amp otherwise your using the tone control in your amp. Sometimes noise gates or eq's help when left on in the chain.

R
# 5
maggior
maggior
11/12/2014 8:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Rogerd99Not exactly sure if this is the answer your looking for but here goes;

4 cable method

1) Back of Gt 100 output R === connect to effects loop return on your amp
2) Back of Gt 100 ext loop send === connects to the input on the front of your amp
3) Back of GT 100 ext loop return === connects to back of amp effects loop send
4) Back of Gt 100 input ===Hooks to Guitar

so now everything in the chain that shows up before the send/receive in the chain on your GT 100 window, and if the send/receive is on, gets sent through the front of your amp.... which allows you to use the EQ on your amp for tone control.

without the send/receive being set to the on position in the GT chain, everything goes through your effects loop on the back and makes the GT 100 your complete control.

The best way to use the amp sims..... imo.... is to turn everything in the chain on the GT 100 to off, except for the preamp simulation you want to use, and run it through the effects loop not the front of the amp otherwise your using the tone control in your amp. Sometimes noise gates or eq's help when left on in the chain.

R

Yes, that does answer my question and confirms that I observed. I also read where you can take the output of the GT-100 and run it straight into the effect loop return on the amp. What I like about switching the S/R on the GT-100 on and off is you can have it either way without having to swap cables around.

So I have some more experimentation to do :).

Thanks!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.