Latest open mic performance

maggior
maggior
10/16/2014 4:17 am
Last week my band performed at an open mic. Wow we have really come a long way.

It wasn't my best night. First off I forgot the power supply for my pedal board. This is why you see me adjusting my amp as solos come up. Yes, I'm the guy in the Pink Floyd shirt. Then I missed my cue on the Hard to Handle solo that I had worked SOOO hard on to nail. It teetered on the brink, but I held it together.

Anyway, check it out. I think we as a band have come quite a ways.

http://youtu.be/d83db3fgzik

Cheers!
Rich
# 1
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
10/16/2014 9:40 am
Hey Rich - Radio Gap really rock! You really should be pitching for some paid gigs now - great lead as usual, and a special mention for some really nice bass lines too. I was hoping for 'I Shot the Sheriff' but maybe some other time.....great stuff!! Best wishes Steve PS better tell Jason that Wales is in Wales and not in England - you don't want to alienate prospective Welsh fans!
# 2
maggior
maggior
10/16/2014 1:09 pm
Hey Steve -

He rambles that stuff unscripted. Even Ivan (whom he was referring to with the Whales comment) was looking at him like "what are you talking about!?!?). I'll be sure to give him a small geography lesson next time I see him :-). I wasn't sure, but I thougth to myself at the time "I think the Welsh consinder themselves Welsh, not English".

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, John, our bass player, has really bloomed as a bass player. Guitar is actually his first instrument. I personally like his bass playing better than guitar. He does some really great bass runs on China Grove.

My solos were OK. On Wanted Dead or Alive, I kept missing and fumbling for my "landing notes".

I Shot the Sherrif will be the next time we play out. Last night we got it down pretty well at rehearsal. I solo over a mellow intro and solo on a rocking outro. Beacuse it was hard for me to improvise something and keep count of what measure we were on, I asked if they minded if I just did my thing and then I signalled them...they said sure!! So I'll have my blues improv spotlight :-). Album side guitar jam here we come!! (Not really, I wouldn't do that to them ;-).

Regarding paid gigs - I think you are right. The issue at this point is building up our setlist. We are on course for having 2 sets by next summer. Next summer we hope to start playing "real" gigs, and get paid a bit too.

Cheers!!
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
10/16/2014 2:37 pm
Despite things not being on your side, I think you did a pretty good job. I like how you look more alive in this video than in some of your first live-performances. Keep it up, and next time, don't forget the PSU :) I don't know the songs you played that well, so I won't start to comment on your playing compared to the originals (out of respect towards both Radio Gap and the original artists :) )
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 4
fretsmith
fretsmith
10/16/2014 3:15 pm
Great job Rich! It's been fun/interesting watching how this experience has affected your skills/confidence in a really positive way. Proof that when you buckle down and play/practice with a sense of purpose you will come out a better player. Continued success to you brother - you guys are doing great!
# 5
maggior
maggior
10/16/2014 3:46 pm
Originally Posted by: fretsmithGreat job Rich! It's been fun/interesting watching how this experience has affected your skills/confidence in a really positive way. Proof that when you buckle down and play/practice with a sense of purpose you will come out a better player. Continued success to you brother - you guys are doing great!

Thanks!!! I really appreciate that fretsmith!

I totally agree with your statement about it being "proof that when you buckle down...". That's part of the reason I post these here, so they can be an example for others that might have similar asperations about playing in a band. Many of those skills I've improved came from working with material from GuitarTricks. 2 of the songs in that setlist were learned by myself from lessons here.
# 6
maggior
maggior
10/16/2014 3:50 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowDespite things not being on your side, I think you did a pretty good job. I like how you look more alive in this video than in some of your first live-performances. Keep it up, and next time, don't forget the PSU :) I don't know the songs you played that well, so I won't start to comment on your playing compared to the originals (out of respect towards both Radio Gap and the original artists :) )

Thanks!!! I'm much more confident in my playing, and that's partly what makes me look more alive. That's the next thing we need to work on as a band. I have to get them at least facing the audience :-). I was trying to engage them and make eye contact on stage, but it wasn't working. So I stared off into the blinding lights and did my thang!!

Just like everything else, it will come with time and practice.
# 7

10/17/2014 1:54 am
Great job
your band is really coming together
And you do look more comfortable
It shows in your playing
Much more relaxed
You guys nailed the first two songs
Played them very well
You have some good vibrato
Best to ya
I think it's time to get paid
You guys are good
Get the other two players moving around
And your set
# 8
haghj500
haghj500
10/17/2014 3:54 am
If the band will be playing itā€™s time for a sign with your name on it.

So, thinking out loud as I type.
Grab some pegboard, cardboard, spray paint and letters. Cut the pegboard in the shape of your logo radio tube, do the same with the cardboard attach it to the pegboard, but leave the tip bare to hook a wire to, to attach it when hanging it. Attach the letters to the cardboard to spell Radio Gap.

Not so wide it is hard to pack, lite enough it could hang from almost anything and give your bands name stage presents.

Good job playing your parts. Yea, ya really need to get the others to move a bit. Learning to move around in front of a crowd as you play is kind of one of the first steps of learning how to release the things we fight not to show and must learn to release to become a star. The bigger the star the bigger the show right?
# 9
maggior
maggior
10/17/2014 4:20 am
Axe and haghj500 -

Thanks so much for the feedback!!! Yeah, that's the most comfortable I've looked. Funny thing is on the inside I was really not feeling it and was disappointed that I forgot some key equipment. But, the show must go on!!

Banners, business cards, drum head...definitely on the radar! Good idea with the pegboard!! I don't know if it's customary to have signs or a banner and an open mic. Certainly we should have business cards on hand in case somebody shows interest like happened last week.

Kind of cool to think that next summer we could start getting paid :-). Not much certainly, but something!! Need to get the set list built up so we can REALLY put ourselves out there.

I sent an email to the rest of the band saying we got the music thing down pretty well now...so we should focus some energy on our stage presence. The best way I've seen it put, and I may have said it here already, is "aim to be a slightly more flamboyant version of yourself". This way you keep it real, yet interesting.
# 10

10/17/2014 11:12 am
Hey rich it looked to me your playing was right on spot key . Im very happy for you.
For me I would love to get hooked with a band,for fun.
But I have a 2 year old daughter so it won't happen.
But it would be cool to find a drummer and bass player
To jam with now and then.
Keep rocking. You should so do an instrumental.
Imo ,I think you would bring down the house.
# 11
maggior
maggior
10/17/2014 12:42 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2Hey rich it looked to me your playing was right on spot key . Im very happy for you.
For me I would love to get hooked with a band,for fun.
But I have a 2 year old daughter so it won't happen.
But it would be cool to find a drummer and bass player
To jam with now and then.
Keep rocking. You should so do an instrumental.
Imo ,I think you would bring down the house.

Thanks man...you are too kind!!

I get it with kids. I have 3. It's only because my youngest is now 5 that I'm able to do this.

You should check out open mics in your area. Some of them (at least around here) have a full house band. So if you walk in with just your guitar, you can "sit in" with the house band. Or if you have a full band, you all go up.

Cheers!
# 12
haghj500
haghj500
10/18/2014 3:35 am
Back to the stage sign. Radio tubs are small, so it makes since the sign could be small. Make one that sits on a guitar stand, there has to be a gap on the stage big enough for it.

Even that may not work at open mic's, just throwing it out there.
# 13
haghj500
haghj500
10/18/2014 4:22 am
Originally Posted by: maggior
I sent an email to the rest of the band saying we got the music thing down pretty well now...so we should focus some energy on our stage presence. The best way I've seen it put, and I may have said it here already, is "aim to be a slightly more flamboyant version of yourself". This way you keep it real, yet interesting.

The energy level on the stage will totally change when they do, smiles are infectious. Try watching it with the sound off with them.

I'm sure it will come in little time if you keep hitting open mic's.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.