Rock, Old Rock!? HENDRIX?

BlackBox
BlackBox
05/30/2002 2:01 pm
What do you guys listen to? I like mostly new rock and some older stuff.

GOOD Bands:

Hoobastank
Adema
LP
Hendrix Experiece
Sum 41 (they're so so)
Blink 182
Puddle of Mudd (Im going to see them july 9th!)

Anyways, what you guys listen to?

Rock on.
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
05/30/2002 2:08 pm
Slim Whitman, the Monkees, Dino,Desi&Billy, Zager&Evans, and Lulu, all the hard stuff...........
# 2
stratgod
stratgod
05/30/2002 3:53 pm
I'm 17 but I was brought up on 50's, 60's and 70's music. Stuff like Buddy Holly, The Shadows, Hendrix, Clapton, The Eagles, Led Zep, SRV, Chuck Berry, Albert Lee etc. but I've also started listening to stuff like Nickleback, Green Day, Sum 41, Puddle Of Mud, to name a few. A bit of a mix really...
"When I was a kid,all I wanted was a red electric guitar.It had to be red,because of Hank and his magical sound." Mark Knopfler on Hank Marvin.
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/30/2002 7:57 pm
Allan HOLDSWORTH
Ron THAL
Freak Kitchen
Satch
VAI
Me, I and Myself (mostly)
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/30/2002 7:57 pm
off the top of my head:
sonic youth, nirvana, skunk anansie, hendrix, green day, life without biuldings, Can, smashing pumpkins, ten benson, super furrie animals, my bloody valentine, the smiths, some tool, led zeplin, Guided by voices, mercury rev, flaming lips, beck, cold play, Sigor Ros, zero 7, amen, RATM, placebo, Idle wild, pavement, grandady, inspiral carpets, Mission of burma, cornelius, capitol K, Bjork, Alpine stars, smog, Public enemy, NWA, Grandmaster flash and furious five, Steve via (only stuff from his "flexable" album the rest i'm sad to say i find cheesy), system of a down,vinni reily, james brown, nina semone, joy division, the pistols, the dead kennedies, dinosaur juniour, the jesus and mary chain, sandy denny,sebadoh, folk implosion, radio head, sound garden, eels, new order, frank zappa, hefner, jane's addiction, john lee hooker, canned heat, laptop, the strokes, the white stripes, the lightning seeds, low gold, luna, Micheal Jackson, no fx, orbital, the pixies, placebo, talking heads, the stone roses, mud honey, the wipers, under world, swerdriver, gordon giltrap, REM, bob dylan, the ramones, chcuk berry, beach boys, seafood, david bowie, primus, manic street preachers, llama famers, blur, dj shadow, hole, death in vegas, roots manova', ronnies size... there's more, that i know i 'll come back and add when i look through my collection,
I listen to a little bit of jazz too, also my classical guitar collection is getting bigger... but yeah, wide and varied taste...
edit: elastica, the who, BB king, Django, the kinks, Ikara colt, my vitriol, bis, hole, elbow, masssive attack, muse, Catatonia etc etc

[Edited by educatedfilm on 05-31-2002 at 05:31 AM]
# 5
Slasher
Slasher
05/30/2002 8:27 pm
Just a lil list o what I listen to:
Guns n Roses
Slash's Snakepit
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Kinda like Soils album too.
Loads of other stuff too but I can't be assed to go on.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 6
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/30/2002 10:12 pm
Beatles, Guns N' Roses, Simon & Garfunkel, Oasis, Dylan, Don McLean, Elvis, Traveling Wilburys and so on.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 7
James8831
James8831
05/31/2002 5:34 pm
Originally posted by pstring
Zager&Evans, and Lulu

What? ALL of "In the year 2025" AND "Shout" :D ..I think Lulu did some other good Pop songs ??

Currently "The Very Best of Steely Dan"
*aah, a compilation..me tablets* Intelligent,soulful -top gtring pstring ;) ,couldn't find any Mountain..yet.

Turin brakes -"The Optimist"

RHCP - BSSM

L.Kravitz - another compilation[ok,ok..money versus..integrity =money1, integrity0.]

And about 80 percent of what Ed. listens to..Ed. do you you work in the music industry/"record shop" (as we used to call them) or ...what?
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 8
yukonc5
yukonc5
05/31/2002 9:10 pm
My guess is he's a walking music encyclopedia. :p
Grog go now! Make noise!
# 9
pickin4life
pickin4life
06/01/2002 3:28 am
I listen to an array of artists from Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Pearl Jam, Bad Company, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Ozzy Osbourne to Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Jimmy Eat World, Goo Goo Dolls, Hank Williams Jr, Hoobastank, Incubus, and hell i could go on forever. Rock On.
# 10
bigmarty
bigmarty
06/01/2002 3:22 pm
let's see Zep,Sabbath, Purple, Jimi,SRV,Robin Trower,Buddy Guy,the 3 kings( Albert,B.B.& Freddie),Allmann Bros,Gov't Mule,Gary Moore,Thin Lizzy,UFO,MSG,Scorpions,Uli Roth,Frank Marino,Eric Clapton,Cream,Jeff Beck,Van Halen, Aerosmith,Ted Nugent,Yngwie,Satch,Vai,Zappa,Jethro Tull,Yes,ELP,Genesis,UK,Pink Floyd,Metallica,Slayer,Megadeth,Dokken,Queensryche,Ratt,
Whitesnake,Miles Davis,Jimmy Smith,Mahavishnu,Bach,Paganini,Beethoven,Muddy Waters,Howlin Wolf,sONNY Boy Williamson,Little Walter,Chuck Berry,James Brown, Funkadelic,P-Funk.

There. That's just a small list
Can we have everything louder than everything else???
# 11
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/02/2002 1:31 am
Grateful Dead
String Cheese Incident
Phish
Big Wu
Jerry Garcia Band
Trey Anastasio Band
RatDog
Phil Lesh and Friends
TriChromes

# 12
pickin4life
pickin4life
06/03/2002 3:29 am
No wonder Incidents Happen dogged me on my post "Words of Wisdom", hes a fu**ing hippy. U think the sh*t. Well smell me. ROCK ON.

Educatedfilm: I was going to delet this, but i didn't know if it was meant in dry humour or not, and your also new.
So consider this you'r first and only warning, please dont bad mouth other members, by all means disagree with them if you want, but please don't get personal. becaus if you will, I'll delete your post, and tell jon, and the chances are you'r acount will be shut down.
(this goes for everyone else too, so please take heed)

[Edited by educatedfilm on 06-03-2002 at 01:45 PM]
# 13
Bardsley
Bardsley
06/03/2002 1:37 pm
Pickin4life, welcome to the forum. I haven't been around here much recently, which is why I don't think we have exchanged any messages before, but let me say good luck in your learning, etc.
One thing about this bulletin board is that, to a large extent, there aren't really any cliques, or groups here that regularly bad mouth each other. While quite often (especially in open threads) different groups emerge to take sides in an almost predictable way, it rarely ends in slurring the other people.
Unlike forums like Harmony Central (which I have looked at a bit recently due to their dedicated froums to recording and Mac OS), Guitartricks is special in the way everyone here has done their best to limit that sort of behaviour (also, moderators here are FAR faster to remove stuff than they are). My basic point is, if you want to bad mouth Incidents Happen, fine, and he can do it to you, but you're unlikely to find a whole lot of people backing you up, because we get kinda tight here.
Lots of people here aren't afraid to voice their opinons, and say "I think that is a stupid thing to say, etc", but no one really gets to personal attacks, and that's how we like it.
I hope I don't sound like a wanker or anything, but I just wanted to highlight something about this forum that seems pleasantly unique. We are a community, and we always welcome people into it, but once you're in, it's not like there are any sides to join.
Again, good luck in the mus
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 14
James8831
James8831
06/03/2002 2:36 pm
Originally posted by pickin4life
No wonder Incidents Happen dogged me on my post "Words of Wisdom", hes a fu**ing hippy. U think the sh*t. Well smell me. ROCK ON.

That happens to be what he's listening to not what he is ...

RE WOW thread:You'll be influenced by what you hear when you play anyway ,lessons won't make you into a copy of your teacher they just enlarge/expand/improve your knowledge...try and find a guitarist who doesn't play something like someone else does at some point in their life. If you play chords - then I can assure you EVERYBODY has played them before you .

# 15
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/03/2002 3:18 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
Except for allan holdsworth's chords...

Jeez that guy is ill!

Dude, he is the biggest player ever... I have tried to play a song... Never mastered it. He must be an alien (looks like one too!)
# 16
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/03/2002 4:40 pm
I have only found 4 tabs of him they are on a french site http://www.guitariff.net you click on 'guitar heroes' and 'tablatures' after choosing allan of course...
# 17
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
06/03/2002 6:59 pm
ok here goes....

Favourites: Rush, Zeppelin, Deep Purple; Vai; Smashing Pumpkins; Metallica, Megadeth; SRV; GnR; Randy Rhoads

Other stuff: Hendrix, Clapton/Cream, Sabbath/Ozzy Osborune; Iron Maiden; Fear Factory; Limp Bizkit; Slipknot; Paul Gilbert; Satch; Yngwie; Jeff Beck; Pantera; Queen; Yes; Oasis; The Verve; Travis; Tool; Simon and Garfuncle; The Moody Blues; Mike Oldfield; Pink Floyd; The Hamsters; Hole; Def Leppard; Kiss; Slash's Snakepit; Neil Young...... ( many more but however much i like someone I always forget them)

And credit where credit's due....various performers of: Beethoven; Mozart; Grieg, Bach; Rachmaninov etc

Then of course there's me :) And anyone from here who's stuffs on the net.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 18
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
06/03/2002 7:05 pm
sorry james, I didnt' see your post, I haven't been here regularly for a few days...
I'm just someone always on the quest for intresting music (also the fact taht i dont watch much tv might have somethign to do with it, cos i listen to music instead really).. even if it's isn't technically very good... I was ... well, no, I still am infact in setting up a record label at uni... but that takes money, and i dont even have a job at the mo...
but today having see some local "talent", I dont think i'd sign many bands... they could all play alright, but there was no one there that struck me as being original or intriguing...
I mean today, i realized, i'm not actaully half as bad as i thought i was, technically I'm pretty good... my song writting is still really in it's infancy, but i certainly incorporate feed back/ voilin bow/ general noise more that anyone there...
I think i should really take a summmer job with some local label, so i can have some idea of how to really run a record label...
# 19
James8831
James8831
06/03/2002 7:29 pm
S'ok Ed,

Way to go on the music fr,ont keeping a broad/open mind and listening to as much as you can is usually great for the ol' creativity.

i guess i should listen to more myself!.

Good luck with the record label,etc. If you're incredibly lucky the "employment office" at college may be able to give you a hand with a placement.

Anything like ours was and you'll get one packing CDS at EMI .."Well you said you wanted to work in music".

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.