Practice routine

tschipp
tschipp
05/19/2014 1:13 pm
Hi,
I have a very limited time for practicing.
Beside learning styles and playing I planed to do technique exercises. I have collected a variety of exercises that i find useful for my self. Since there are too many to do them all every day I was wondering whats the best routine.

1) Select 3 exercises and do them for a while daily, then move on to the next set of exercises and do them for while daily, and so on

2) Select different exercise for every day. For example:
Monday: exercise 1-3
Tuesday: exercise 4-6
Wednesday: exercise: 7-10

So that I cover a lot of exercises over the week and do these weekly routine for a longer time.

Hope it is clear what I mean ;-)

Thanks for your suggestions
# 1
maggior
maggior
05/19/2014 2:05 pm
I think it's great that you are planning out your practice routine, especially since you have a limited amout of time to practice. I'm in a simlar situation and putting together a plan really helped me focus and get the most out of my time.

Personally I like option #2. It gives you some variety since you won't be doing the same thing day after day. It also gives your mind and body time to absorb something new. Many times you start one something, struggle, walk away, and finally come back to find you can do it better already.

Something else I would suggest though is being flexible. You can say you'll generally do option #2, but if you are super excited about a new technique and you feel like you are the cusp of mastering it and just can't wait to keep working on it, channel that positive energy and work on it for a few days in a row. Then when it feels right, go back to your established routine.
# 2

05/19/2014 2:49 pm
Are you referring to technique exercising.
Or scale runs,what is it that ur practicesing?
Never mind I see ur referring too techniques.
I would choose opt 2.....
# 3
tschipp
tschipp
05/19/2014 3:41 pm
Thanks for your replies.
I find option 2 more logical too, I just thought if for some technical exercises could be better practicing every day. Also maggiors tipp about flexibility is good.

I'm trying to get rid of some bad habbits (flying fingers, bad position...) that's why I planned some finger exercises ;-)
# 4
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
05/20/2014 2:06 pm
Great ideas. I will be copying your option 2 :)
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 5
tschipp
tschipp
05/21/2014 9:02 am
Originally Posted by: ThorfinnFriskenGreat ideas. I will be copying your option 2 :)

You're welcome ;-)
# 6
lawmason69
lawmason69
05/30/2014 2:45 pm
hey tschipp

your post doesn't tell us much about where you are on your "guitar journey" so i'll assume you've been at it for just a little while...( and apologies if i am wrong )

technical "drills" or exercises are great, they can build left and right hand independence, build left and right hand coordination, strength, dexterity, and i think most importantly...give your hands / fingers an implicit sense of where they are on the guitar...for instance, helping to nearly eliminate missed notes, or bad clams as they sometimes referred to...

but remember, theory is important too, learn the major scale ( all 5 "Caged" positions in every key ) - learn the minor scale, learn the corresponding major and minor pentatonics ( which pentatonic shapes reside within which major and minor scale shapes ), and harmonize every scale so that you come to learn which chords belong to which key

and always make sure you're learning music / learning songs - this is the most important part of your practice routine...playing music leads to musical "knowledge" and let's you see how the technical and theoritical things you have worked on are applicable, so that they transform from technical ideas to musical ideas...
# 7
tschipp
tschipp
06/05/2014 6:19 am
Originally Posted by: lawmason69hey tschipp

your post doesn't tell us much about where you are on your "guitar journey" so i'll assume you've been at it for just a little while...( and apologies if i am wrong )

technical "drills" or exercises are great, they can build left and right hand independence, build left and right hand coordination, strength, dexterity, and i think most importantly...give your hands / fingers an implicit sense of where they are on the guitar...for instance, helping to nearly eliminate missed notes, or bad clams as they sometimes referred to...

but remember, theory is important too, learn the major scale ( all 5 "Caged" positions in every key ) - learn the minor scale, learn the corresponding major and minor pentatonics ( which pentatonic shapes reside within which major and minor scale shapes ), and harmonize every scale so that you come to learn which chords belong to which key

and always make sure you're learning music / learning songs - this is the most important part of your practice routine...playing music leads to musical "knowledge" and let's you see how the technical and theoritical things you have worked on are applicable, so that they transform from technical ideas to musical ideas...

Thanks for your reply.
I started playing guitar 20 years ago :-) But never had lessons so I have / had some bad habbits like flying fingers, unclean playing ...
Then I stopped playing because live happend and now a year ago I started to practice again trying to get rid of the bad habbits. Also learnig some theory and so on. The point with learning songs is a good one since I tend to focus too much on techniqe. I will keep that in mind.
# 8
fretsmith
fretsmith
06/05/2014 4:10 pm
From Lawmason Post #7: "and harmonize every scale so that you come to learn which chords belong to which key"

Can explain what you mean by that? Is there a lesson here at GT that covers that?

Thanks-
# 9
littlesingerboy
littlesingerboy
06/27/2014 1:53 pm
Originally Posted by: fretsmithFrom Lawmason Post #7: "and harmonize every scale so that you come to learn which chords belong to which key"

Can explain what you mean by that? Is there a lesson here at GT that covers that?

Thanks-

If like to know the answer to that too. I presume he/she means for example if you play the C major scale, the three notes of a C triad is CEG, if you play the E major scale next, then that would be a harmony to C. Then G as well.
Is that right?
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.