View post (Practice routine)

View thread

tschipp
tschipp
06/05/2014 6:19 am
Originally Posted by: lawmason69hey tschipp

your post doesn't tell us much about where you are on your "guitar journey" so i'll assume you've been at it for just a little while...( and apologies if i am wrong )

technical "drills" or exercises are great, they can build left and right hand independence, build left and right hand coordination, strength, dexterity, and i think most importantly...give your hands / fingers an implicit sense of where they are on the guitar...for instance, helping to nearly eliminate missed notes, or bad clams as they sometimes referred to...

but remember, theory is important too, learn the major scale ( all 5 "Caged" positions in every key ) - learn the minor scale, learn the corresponding major and minor pentatonics ( which pentatonic shapes reside within which major and minor scale shapes ), and harmonize every scale so that you come to learn which chords belong to which key

and always make sure you're learning music / learning songs - this is the most important part of your practice routine...playing music leads to musical "knowledge" and let's you see how the technical and theoritical things you have worked on are applicable, so that they transform from technical ideas to musical ideas...

Thanks for your reply.
I started playing guitar 20 years ago :-) But never had lessons so I have / had some bad habbits like flying fingers, unclean playing ...
Then I stopped playing because live happend and now a year ago I started to practice again trying to get rid of the bad habbits. Also learnig some theory and so on. The point with learning songs is a good one since I tend to focus too much on techniqe. I will keep that in mind.