BOSS ME-80 vs. GT-100

maggior
maggior
03/26/2014 2:01 pm
I keep reading awesome things about the BOSS JS-10 and have heard some awesome recordings made with it. So I looked into the GT-100 and ME-80. They both seem to be based on the same technology (COSM), but the GT-100 is MUCH more expensive than the ME-80.

Does anybody know the big differences between the ME-80 and GT-100?

I'm becoming more and more discontented with my Zoom G5. Direct into my PC it sounds OK, but it has a really harsh sound when put in front of my Peavey Valveking amp, even when I dial down the treble.

The one thing I would miss are the built in drum beats. However, I can get an Alesis SR-16 for a bit over $100 to serve that purpose...and I could put together real drum patterns.

Thoughts...?
# 1
compart1
compart1
03/26/2014 8:43 pm
Alderton Music seems to have good demo..
here the ME-80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmTVAqUYGQA
going to look for there GT-100
here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXR4Rk-Cb7s
I like these guy as the tend NOT to play over the talking

I like the screens on the GT-100
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/26/2014 11:27 pm
Originally Posted by: maggior
Does anybody know the big differences between the ME-80 and GT-100?

I've been looking at both of these for a while now. The biggest difference I would say right off the bat is that the ME-80 is designed to sit completely in front of your amp's input, like a pedal chain. So while it is versatile in that it can have a lot of different presets and sounds, in all practicality you're going to be relying on the unit to get your all of your drive sounds, not the amp. You could set it up with an amp with channel switching, and then switch both.... so for your rhythm sound you have the amp on channel one, a "clean" sound, and the ME-80 setup with some nice chorusy effect, then here comes the lead solo, you switch the amp to channel 2, a drivey sound, and boost that with a lead preset on the ME-80. Obviously this requires you have a multi-channel amp, and you'll have to switch both the ME-80 and the amp... either by stomping twice or setting up a more elaborate channel switching system which I'm pretty sure you don't want to get into. But even so, if you use an effect like delay, your amp will be driving the delay sound, instead of the other way round.

With the GT100, you can run it straight into the amp, same as the ME-80, but it also has the option to be setup with a "four-cable" method... so you can run the drive sounds through the front of your amp, and all the time based and modulation effects through your effects loop (provided you have one on your amp). This means that you can have some crunch on your amp, add to it by using the GT100's drive sounds (add some distortion, overdrive, etc) and then add a delay to that overall sound, instead of distortion-delay-drive channel of amp. This will give you a lot more control over your sound.

I think you're in a tough position because one, you like that "not too dirty but not too clean" sound that tube amps produce so well, and yet digitally is very difficult to emulate, and two, because you have a good ear for tone and you really notice when its not quite right.

There's other systems out there... for instance the TC Electronics Nova system looks pretty good, but unfortunately I think the only real way to know if they are going to work for you is to try them. Most of the guitar greats have just a few set sounds that they work with. If you find yourself in that category, you might want to consider just going with pedals, dialing in around 2-5 really great sounds, and that's what you'll use. On the other hand, if you're really needing to have a lot of varied sounds due to playing covers, and you just can't live with the tones you're getting from a floor unit, you may want to consider going with a rack system like this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQczuo6_KZs

Pricey, but probably going to yield the best results. Seems like the big guys use combinations of pedals, rack units, and amps...

Getting back to the ME-80 and GT100, if I had to choose, I'd go with the GT100... there's just a little more flexibility with that unit that might really make the difference between content and happy.
# 3
maggior
maggior
03/27/2014 2:41 am
Thanks for the insight guys! I took a look at the owner's manuals and one thing I did notice is that the GT-100 emulates many more amps. On the M-80, they don't even call them amp simulations, they are "preamp" settings.

My amp does have an effect loop, so I would be able to take advantage of that aspect of the GT-100.

I have to decide what it is I really want to do with it. When I first got the Zoom, I just wanted pedal effects, but then I realized it did amp modeling and dug into that.

In the band I've been playing with, I've just been switching between the clean and lead channels on a Fender Frontman amp. I've been using my neck pickup exclusively. I was messing with different pickups and stuff today and the neck pickup is just my "sound" at this point. It's what inspires me when I dig in, hit bends, and stuff like that. It could also be that this is what sounds good in that particular room. I noticed today that the room definitely has its own reverb characteristics.

The point is I'm not certain I need tons of flexibility at this point...as cool as that might be.

At least now I understand the differences much more clearly and make an intelligent decision.

Thanks again guys!!!

Rich
# 4
Carmine M
Carmine M
03/27/2014 11:27 am
Hi
do not forget to check out the GT 001 if you need it to record and/or do not need pedal board.

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 5
aschleman
aschleman
04/08/2014 3:26 pm
ME-XX Units only model effects pedals

GT-XX Units model amps, mics, cabs, effects, etc...
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.