Official! We have 500 songs!!!

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/07/2014 1:06 am
If you saw this announcement, and you've been around Guitar Tricks for a while, you now this is a huge deal for us. 500 Songs!

Thanks so much for making it happen. All the song suggestions you have made, and all the patience as it took us forever to make the suggestions happen, are really deeply appreciated around here.

Some of you remember when we had a very small selection, some Judas Priest, some Kansas, some miscellaneous one hit wonder songs....and we just kept working on it, bit by bit every year. Now we really have a very nice selection of songs, and some great surprises coming for you through the rest of the year.

Go to www.GuitarTricks.com/coupon for the announcement video and a special thank you sale.

Thanks!!!

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
maggior
maggior
03/07/2014 3:27 am
Congrats Jon. That's awesome!!! In just the 1+ years I've been here I'm blown away at the number of songs you added...and the quality just gets better and better.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/07/2014 3:59 pm
Yup...what he said. Congrats!

And a heartfelt thank you for the continued improvements and for what Guitar Tricks has meant/means to me.

john
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
jeffo184
jeffo184
03/08/2014 9:58 pm
Congratulations to everyone at GT! Whether you're just beginning or an advanced player, this site has something for everyone. Awesome job!
# 4
maggior
maggior
03/10/2014 1:48 pm
Hey Jon -

I watched the video you guys did with Anders to announce your milestone and talk about the gift incentives.

We all miss Neal, but I think Anders would be a great guy to fill that role now. Perhaps I'm biased because I love Anders' lessons. He has a great low key yet passionate approach to things, which I think are great characterists for a spokesperson.

Again, congrats on this incredible milestone!
# 5
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/10/2014 6:56 pm
Hi maggior,
Thanks for the feedback. I think Anders does a great job too.

He is working on the new Rock Level 2, and a whole mess of songs we licensed, so he isn't available to do a weekly lesson like Neal did, but I agree with you he would be great at it.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
03/13/2014 7:34 am
Hey Jon! Congratulations on the 500 - a fantastic achievement. But I'm wondering if the format of the 'Song Request Forum' is actually the best way to add the next 500 (!). Every day there is at least one nomination for a new song, and it's impossible to tell (from the number of 'views' etc) how much support there is amongst all the members for that particular song. The chances of any one song suggestion achieving lesson status are very small, and it must be a nightmare for you guys at GT to know which of the many ideas to pursue. Wouldn't it be better for you to conduct an email survey of all full access members once a year, asking for (say) members' top three picks? At least then you could gauge levels of support more systematically amongst the GT community. Anyway, this isn't a criticism, just an idea (maybe a stupid one?), from a big GT fan. Yours, Steve
# 7
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/13/2014 6:39 pm
Hi Steve,
That's not a bad idea. We actually did that a while back on user survey. But it has been a while.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/15/2014 2:32 am
I second Steve's suggestion and have long thought of something similar.

While I wouldn't want to see the different requests disappear, I think a more detailed knowledge of who/what GT's current/active members are would be helpful in selecting the next 500 songs and/or guiding licensing requests. Survey questions to be answered such as; member age, genres that hold the most interest, decade that holds the most interest, acoustic, electric or both, personal skill level and, yes...songs wanted in the next 500. And maybe some choices, from GT to us, to choose from, e.g. this Beatle song or that? Waylon's or Blake's? 60's girls groups or 90's boys bands? Just as important I think, what songs did the member learn from GT's collection of song lessons? And I suppose similar input from the instructors along with what songs they would like to create lessons for might be helpful. ;)

I suspect there's some fine balances to maintain between keeping current while satisfying large chunks of the GT membership. Periodic member surveys and/or new member questionnaires could be a big help.

Maybe a starting point would be to survey the membership about what we think those important questions should be...
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 9
sectormc
sectormc
04/01/2014 5:54 pm
Congratulations on reaching the 500 song milestone. You have many great songs here by some of the best guitarists ... one thing I noticed however was there was nothing here by Pink Floyd or David Gilmour. I'm sure most would agree that the site would be more complete with some songs like 'Comfortably Numb', 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond'. There is much to learn from Gilmour's style in my opinion.... rarely is a note just a note with him with all the bends, vibratos and rakes, etc. Just an observation.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.