Learning Resources: written by the elite, established by the elite

Iain Greig
Iain Greig
03/02/2014 5:04 am
I am a strong believer in learning from the best. I believe sometimes its even a good idea to avoid taking advice from high intermediate/ low advanced players because even they can teach you technique that you will later have to unlearn so you can learn superior technique. Breaking habits can be hard and very time consuming.

However I also believe there is more to it than that, you can find incredible players that make lousy teachers. Some even put together a whole bunch of exercises without much thought or benefit to the user as there name alone will sell the dvd etc. Therefore following the statement that "the proof is in the pudding", i think a great way to decide if a learning resource is worth it or not is to look at those that have studied it.

Speed kills, speed kills 2, speed kills 3 and star licks by michael angelo batio fit into the category of learning material i am searching for. They were written by one of the greatest virtuoso's of all time and studied by: dimebag darrel, john petrucci, michael romeo of symphony x, and one of the dragonforce guitarists (can't remember which one).

The purpose of this thread is to find similar learning resources, who was it written by, and who has studied it?

thanks in advance for any recommendations
# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/02/2014 4:49 pm
It's an interesting concept; perhaps a valid one.

But as an advanced-beginner/beginner-level intermediate student/player I'm not sure I have the experience or learning to identify 'virtuosos' or to do the "Rolling Stone" thing and rank the top 100 guitarists of all time and then re-order the list in terms of their teaching ability.

Studying the results of virtuoso guitarists who are good teachers, i.e., looking at sensei and gakusei, again surfaces my problem of determining who is truly good and has better results than the others. And if I am to learn who learned at the foot of the master where do I find that info...endorsements? Oooh...that sounds like a problem in the making.

Maybe another way to look at the guitarist-teacher to student results is to look at the opposite level -- the results of teaching those who started at the beginner-beginner level. Not the best guitarists, but those who started from nothing and moved to playing music for themselves, their family and friends and maybe even fans. Not superior technique, necessarily, but appreciated music. But then, I'm not sure how to study that either.

Anyhoo, while I won't be able to contribute to this I am looking forward to reading from those who have the learning and playing qualifications to do so.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
fretsmith
fretsmith
03/02/2014 5:55 pm
Interesting indeed. It would be rather foolish to oppose Iain's premise that the best quality teachers are anything but that - the best quality teachers. ( I can personally vouch for unsatisfactory results from really good players who weren't good teachers). But I don't think it should necessarily be to the exclusion of lesser qualified "teachers".

My case: modes. I have studied several books, watched countless you-tube videos, and studied the lengthy sticky on this very site. While the gist is clear - the actual benefit remains confusing. (at least to me). I could easily petition Chris Schlegal (on this site ) for advice - to me that is like discussing theology with the Pope. Just not the makings for comfortable rapport.

Then I got into a modes discussion with a user on this site (who cautions readers about his own elementary knowledge on theory ) who made more sense of the subject in a few posts than I had gathered in several previous efforts. Could it be that he is able to relate to the confusing aspects of the subject because he was so recently there himself?

I'm not disagreeing with anyone. Just chiming in on an interesting discussion.
# 3
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
03/09/2014 3:40 am
Iain, you mentioned, "Speed kills, speed kills 2, speed kills 3 and star licks by michael angelo batio."

Are these DVD's? Where did you find a place to order them?

~Rusty
# 4
maggior
maggior
03/09/2014 5:33 am
Originally Posted by: fretsmithCould it be that he is able to relate to the confusing aspects of the subject because he was so recently there himself?

I'm not disagreeing with anyone. Just chiming in on an interesting discussion.

+1. This is what I think is lost a lot times with instruction, whether it be guitar, electronics, physics, calculus, etc.

This is where a community like this has incredible value.
# 5
Excellector06
Full Access
Excellector06
Full Access
04/15/2014 9:15 pm
John Petrucci actually put out a DVD, "Rock Discipline." Not sure who all has looked into it though.
Our lives are one, colliding up and beyond
In this fatal possibility
~Coheed and Cambria, Gravity's Union
# 6
Off-GridOverview
Full Access
Off-GridOverview
Full Access
04/20/2014 4:02 pm
WOW.... Great thread.

Cant say I agree with everything on it but this is what I love about this place...

I believe that the "Best" teacher depends on the student. So its not fair to say that he/she is a really good guitarist but not a good teacher.

The teacher really depends on where you are at in your journey and the present moment. All I am saying is that a teacher that may be good for you today, possibly wont be in a month and vise verse. A teacher that you may look at now and not connect with what they are saying, may be exactly what you need in a year.

Anyways this is only my opinion and outlook and look forward to reading the rest to come on the thread!!

Happy Playing!!

2013 Gibson SGJ 

2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom 

Roland Cube 40 Amp

# 7
Greg Frus
Greg Frus
07/12/2014 4:40 pm
I think Paul Gilbert is a really good teacher. I like the enthusiasm he brings to his instruction. Can't think of one specific off the top of my head, but I doubt you could go wrong with anything he does.

I also agree with some of the posts here. You don't have to play at a virtuoso level to be a great teacher.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.