View post (Learning Resources: written by the elite, established by the elite)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
03/02/2014 5:55 pm
Interesting indeed. It would be rather foolish to oppose Iain's premise that the best quality teachers are anything but that - the best quality teachers. ( I can personally vouch for unsatisfactory results from really good players who weren't good teachers). But I don't think it should necessarily be to the exclusion of lesser qualified "teachers".

My case: modes. I have studied several books, watched countless you-tube videos, and studied the lengthy sticky on this very site. While the gist is clear - the actual benefit remains confusing. (at least to me). I could easily petition Chris Schlegal (on this site ) for advice - to me that is like discussing theology with the Pope. Just not the makings for comfortable rapport.

Then I got into a modes discussion with a user on this site (who cautions readers about his own elementary knowledge on theory ) who made more sense of the subject in a few posts than I had gathered in several previous efforts. Could it be that he is able to relate to the confusing aspects of the subject because he was so recently there himself?

I'm not disagreeing with anyone. Just chiming in on an interesting discussion.