Help organizing chords

Toddst
Toddst
12/26/2013 1:34 am
With a whole lot of different chords and seemingly endless ways to play them when you include their inversions and the number of strings to pluck, I am trying to get my head around a simple way to organize the chord library in my head to cover most of the playing situations I might encounter. I am familiar with barres chords and various inversions with their roots on different strings so the following questions are more about practical application rather than chord theory.

My initial thought is to learn at least three different ways to play any given chord so that I have a place to play it at three different parts of the fretboard, from low to high octaves, starting with the open form. Am I on the right track here or are there better ways that experienced players organize their chords?

Secondly, it know that in band situations chords are often played on only 2, 3 or 4 strings, usually the higher strings since the bass player will cover the lower octaves. My suspicion is that there are specific chord forms that cover 80 percent of all playing situations (for rock, pop, blues), whether that is 3 string or 4 string chord forms played on the middle strings or the high strings or whatever. To those of you who perform regularly what chord forms do you use most often? Where do you play them? (not including power chords)

And thirdly, as regards to specific chords used in Rock, pop and blues, what chords are most important to know? Obviously I would start with Major, Minor, 7 and diminished chords, but what other chords do you use most often? I know a lot of it comes down to the sound one is after, but if I went to see my local rock band what kind of chords am I most likely to hear? (again, not including power chords)

I'm telegraphing my inexperience here but I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Todd
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/27/2013 3:42 pm
Originally Posted by: Toddst... I am trying to get my head around a simple way to organize the chord library in my head to cover most of the playing situations I might encounter. I am familiar with barres chords and various inversions with their roots on different strings so the following questions are more about practical application rather than chord theory.
[/quote]
You are right that a lot of this comes down to individual style or specific genre.

For example, if you are playing in a blues band it is invaluable to know different ways to play dominant 7th & 9th chords in different registers to stay interesting & not too repetitious; as well as to stay out of the way of the other instruments.

Or in a rock band with only one guitar, you'll have to spend a lot of time playing power & barre chords to flesh things out. But if there are two guitars, then you need to be aware of where the other guy is in the mix so you can compliment & blend.

So, most of this is going to come down to what kind of style, songs or artist you are going to be playing.
Originally Posted by: Toddst... in band situations chords are often played on only 2, 3 or 4 strings, usually the higher strings since the bass player will cover the lower octaves. My suspicion is that there are specific chord forms that cover 80 percent of all playing situations (for rock, pop, blues), whether that is 3 string or 4 string chord forms played on the middle strings or the high strings or whatever. To those of you who perform regularly what chord forms do you use most often? Where do you play them? (not including power chords)

If we are leaving out power & barre chords, then for most rock & pop I wind up using triads on either:

1. D, G, & B strings.
2. G, B, & E strings.

These tutorials show a systematic way of practicing them in order to playing in a basic I-IV-V progression that can help you get a lot of physical practice at manipulating them.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=733
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=734

That kind of thing is helpful for everything from ABBA & The Beatles, to The Stones & U2, to Van Halen & ZZ Top. :)
[QUOTE=Toddst]... as regards to specific chords used in Rock, pop and blues, what chords are most important to know?

1. Major
2. Minor
3. Dom 7th
4. Suspensions (2nds & 4th) for ornamentations

Have a look at the types of chords I play in this tutorial that represent a lot of what you might see in a rock band set. Also, notice how much I use single notes to get from chord to chord, or to ornament chords.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1251

Have a look at the types of chords I play in this tutorial that represent a lot of what you might see in a blues band set. The first half of every lesson is a rhythm part. After that I play example leads which you can skip.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1108

Major 7th, minor 7th & such are not as widely used as the above. And once you get those 4 categories down it's much easier to play the extended harmony chords & other forms.

Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Toddst
Toddst
12/28/2013 12:32 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelYou are right that a lot of this comes down to individual style or specific genre.

For example, if you are playing in a blues band it is invaluable to know different ways to play dominant 7th & 9th chords in different registers to stay interesting & not too repetitious; as well as to stay out of the way of the other instruments.

Or in a rock band with only one guitar, you'll have to spend a lot of time playing power & barre chords to flesh things out. But if there are two guitars, then you need to be aware of where the other guy is in the mix so you can compliment & blend.

So, most of this is going to come down to what kind of style, songs or artist you are going to be playing.

If we are leaving out power & barre chords, then for most rock & pop I wind up using triads on either:

1. D, G, & B strings.
2. G, B, & E strings.

These tutorials show a systematic way of practicing them in order to playing in a basic I-IV-V progression that can help you get a lot of physical practice at manipulating them.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=733
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=734

That kind of thing is helpful for everything from ABBA & The Beatles, to The Stones & U2, to Van Halen & ZZ Top. :)

1. Major
2. Minor
3. Dom 7th
4. Suspensions (2nds & 4th) for ornamentations

Have a look at the types of chords I play in this tutorial that represent a lot of what you might see in a rock band set. Also, notice how much I use single notes to get from chord to chord, or to ornament chords.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1251

Have a look at the types of chords I play in this tutorial that represent a lot of what you might see in a blues band set. The first half of every lesson is a rhythm part. After that I play example leads which you can skip.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1108

Major 7th, minor 7th & such are not as widely used as the above. And once you get those 4 categories down it's much easier to play the extended harmony chords & other forms.

Have fun!

Chris, once again you've clarified some things that have been nagging at me for a while. The pieces are starting to come together!

Todd
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2013 3:53 pm
Originally Posted by: ToddstThe pieces are starting to come together!

Good deal!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.