View post (Help organizing chords)

View thread

Toddst
Toddst
12/26/2013 1:34 am
With a whole lot of different chords and seemingly endless ways to play them when you include their inversions and the number of strings to pluck, I am trying to get my head around a simple way to organize the chord library in my head to cover most of the playing situations I might encounter. I am familiar with barres chords and various inversions with their roots on different strings so the following questions are more about practical application rather than chord theory.

My initial thought is to learn at least three different ways to play any given chord so that I have a place to play it at three different parts of the fretboard, from low to high octaves, starting with the open form. Am I on the right track here or are there better ways that experienced players organize their chords?

Secondly, it know that in band situations chords are often played on only 2, 3 or 4 strings, usually the higher strings since the bass player will cover the lower octaves. My suspicion is that there are specific chord forms that cover 80 percent of all playing situations (for rock, pop, blues), whether that is 3 string or 4 string chord forms played on the middle strings or the high strings or whatever. To those of you who perform regularly what chord forms do you use most often? Where do you play them? (not including power chords)

And thirdly, as regards to specific chords used in Rock, pop and blues, what chords are most important to know? Obviously I would start with Major, Minor, 7 and diminished chords, but what other chords do you use most often? I know a lot of it comes down to the sound one is after, but if I went to see my local rock band what kind of chords am I most likely to hear? (again, not including power chords)

I'm telegraphing my inexperience here but I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Todd