Very Fast,

12/24/2013 6:13 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-DMyM7ARJUI
# 1

12/24/2013 7:12 pm
Anyone Dare To Try This.im Sure Not,not Even Close.but To Be Honest Yeah Its Cool To Play That Fast,had Anyone Noticed It Was The Same Progession Over And Over Hum.and To Me It Didnt Sound Good At All,i Didnt Hear Appegios,or Any Technic For That Matter,now Im Trying To Take Anything Away From Him,imo I Wasent Inpressed Thats All.
For Me A Like More Of A Nice Slow Melodic Solo,kinda Like David Gilmore,style.and I Do Realize He Was Just Scale Running,no Solo.so Its Worth Whats Its Worth.
Boy I Hope He Isnt A Member To Gt,hahahaha
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
12/25/2013 7:39 am
Originally Posted by: axe2A Nice Slow Melodic Solo,kinda Like David Gilmore,style

Me too... in the video, I think that is a set "speed piece" that people play going for the speed record... I've heard it before.

Back to the slower style, I think it takes more courage to play slowly and with feel, so that every note stands out. If you hit a bad note, the whole world is going to know... it actually happened years ago when Guns n Roses played at the Grammys (I think it was that?)... anyways, Slash hit a clanger... just no denying it... just a really bad note, and people were criticizing him, saying he wasn't professional and all that... he was just like "hey, I'm human, it happens..." There's a point in speed where all the aesthetic is lost... its no longer music, its just noise.
# 3
maggior
maggior
12/26/2013 5:21 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardMe too... in the video, I think that is a set "speed piece" that people play going for the speed record... I've heard it before.

Back to the slower style, I think it takes more courage to play slowly and with feel, so that every note stands out. If you hit a bad note, the whole world is going to know... it actually happened years ago when Guns n Roses played at the Grammys (I think it was that?)... anyways, Slash hit a clanger... just no denying it... just a really bad note, and people were criticizing him, saying he wasn't professional and all that... he was just like "hey, I'm human, it happens..." There's a point in speed where all the aesthetic is lost... its no longer music, its just noise.

Never thought of it that way, but you are right.

Regarding Slash - at least by hitting a clanger you know he was playing live. I find it so annoying when singers and bands "perform" to just miming a backing track. Before Christmas, there was a special on and 2 people were performing a duet. One person came in too soon at one part and flubbed it bit. My reaction was "at least you know they are singing live!".

There's such an obsession with perfectionism - everybody makes mistakes!
# 4
fretsmith
fretsmith
01/04/2014 6:33 pm
"The Same Progression Over And Over". You do know this is Flight Of The Bumble bee right ? Malmsteen, Satch, and Satriani have all done this. Notice how his forearm didn't move a speck the whole time? One of his other videos is an excellent lesson on sweep picking. Another one is him improvising over a slow track. Pretty good chance we'll be seeing more of this guy. Looks like he's already got an Ibanez sponsorship. I'm new here, and I'm not trying to bust your balls here guys, but in this friendly debate - I have to take the "other side". I AM impressed. Still friends? :)
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/04/2014 6:50 pm
There's no debate. There is no metric to measure how valid your taste in music is against another person's. If that's the kind of playing you want to do, go for it. Everyone's different... have at it and happy shredding!
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/05/2014 11:46 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardThere's no debate. There is no metric to measure how valid your taste in music is against another person's. If that's the kind of playing you want to do, go for it. Everyone's different... have at it and happy shredding!

Yup...Any conversation like this should lead off with 'I prefer...'
# 7
fretsmith
fretsmith
01/08/2014 5:16 am
Hey Guys- My point missed it's mark. I totally agree everyone should have their own view and preferences on any art form. I was trying to say, as diplomatically as possible, is that if someone produces a video and calls it "super fast guitar playing" it's probably not fair to watch it and then say you're not impressed ... because it was fast .. and you don't like fast. It was advertised as "fast" ... and it delivered, as advertised. It also seemed like some didn't know it was an actual song, a classical composition ... not just scales or repetitive riffs.
I don't play/listen to ANY speed metal. None. Just like it's OK to have a personal preference in music - it's also OK to tip your hat to someone who excels in a genre outside your personal preference. Ya think Zakk Wylde would listen to a Brad Paisley record and go "I'm not impressed" ? Peace.
# 8
BBMAC
BBMAC
01/09/2014 9:53 pm
That was freakin' amazing.
# 9
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/09/2014 10:36 pm
I don't really get your point fretsmith... everyone one is entitled to their own opinion. You were impressed by the video. Great! That's awesome that it does something for you. It doesn't for me. It seems like you're struggling with the notion that people were not impressed by the speed shredding video. I don't really know why. For me, I do not understand the "faster is good" and "the faster the better" or "the faster the more impressive" mentality. I don't find the video inspiring. After the first round, I cannot distinguish one note from another. For me at least, its just noise. I'd be no more impressed listening to someone play a harp or flute so fast that I couldn't distinguish one note from another, and really be able to tell if they were hitting every note correctly. I don't understand the "shredding is impressive" thing. In the end, I feel its all about making music and connecting with the listener, not the sheer technical aspect that could be (and has been) played by a robot. Buts that's just me. If expressing that opinion bothers you, you'll just have to reconcile yourself with that. It doesn't bother me that you, or others, are impressed by the video. Different strokes for different folks.
# 10
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/09/2014 11:02 pm
Originally Posted by: fretsmithit's also OK to tip your hat to someone who excels in a genre outside your personal preference.

Just wanted to add that you're assuming I don't like this genre, and you're wrong. Before you joined here, we had several metal/speed/shred players post stuff in the listening post, and some of it I really liked and gave supportive comments to in the forum. One guy, Daniele Liverani I liked so much he actually influenced my playing. I checked out and book marked his other videos. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=066dD98P9Y0

Its not the genre I have anything against. Its just speed for speed's sake that doesn't impress me, but again, its totally ok with me if it impresses you.
# 11
fretsmith
fretsmith
01/10/2014 10:49 pm
Hey Slip - I hope we all agree this is just some guys talking - right? I'm not "struggling with" or "bothered by" anything.

When I said "outside (your) personal preference" I was using "your" in a global sense not a personal sense. As in "outside (one's own) personal preference".

It is true you never really got my point. True also that if one attempts to make a point ... twice, and it doesn't land ... it maybe wasn't a point worth making anyway. I surrender.

For the record, if I try to play much faster than about 128bpm my left fingers make a knot and my pick flies across the room. Peace.
# 12
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/11/2014 12:38 am
Originally Posted by: fretsmithHey Slip - I hope we all agree this is just some guys talking - right? I'm not "struggling with" or "bothered by" anything.

Yes, its fine... it just felt like you initially were trying to say we were wrong or something. Its hard sometimes to read people's intent correctly when we are just typing words on a computer. But its all good.
# 13

01/14/2014 12:23 pm
Originally Posted by: fretsmithHey Guys- My point missed it's mark. I totally agree everyone should have their own view and preferences on any art form. I was trying to say, as diplomatically as possible, is that if someone produces a video and calls it "super fast guitar playing" it's probably not fair to watch it and then say you're not impressed ... because it was fast .. and you don't like fast. It was advertised as "fast" ... and it delivered, as advertised. It also seemed like some didn't know it was an actual song, a classical composition ... not just scales or repetitive riffs.
I don't play/listen to ANY speed metal. None. Just like it's OK to have a personal preference in music - it's also OK to tip your hat to someone who excels in a genre outside your personal preference. Ya think Zakk Wylde would listen to a Brad Paisley record and go "I'm not impressed" ? Peace.

Yeah your right I didn't know it was an actual song or classical composition.as u call it.i have nothin against shreddrers,I knew what I was gonna watch and it didn't impress me.u can refer to my name axe2 rather then some.peace.
# 14
fretsmith
fretsmith
01/14/2014 7:25 pm
Hey Axe2- I'm sorry if my participation came off as an attack. I enjoy your posts and I think we'd get along just fine face-to-face.

My (original) post was kind of a philosophical rant that would have been fun if we were just a bunch of guys sittin around, drinkin cold stuff, and shootin the sh*t. But it wasn't a good direction to go in an impersonal forum where body language and demeanor is absent and agendas/attitudes can be misunderstood. I kinda learned a good lesson.

No malice intended. We have a common passion and I hope we get another opportunity to chat about it somewhere down the line.
# 15

01/15/2014 3:26 pm
thank you fretsmith i appreciate that.its all good,i just felt like u were talking alittle smack towards me.i dont ever hold grudges,and i could of takeng it the wrong way.im sure u meant no harm bro.so we cool.
hey do you ever fool with the fretboard trainer ,if so whats your score.my score is horrible caint beat 1:05 but its still fun.anyway im glad we claired this up .peace.
# 16
mlambrechts
Full Access
mlambrechts
Full Access
01/21/2014 8:47 pm
:-) Yes it's over and over again the same thing, it's a classical piece from Rimski-Korsakov (flight of the bumble bee). At normal speed it sounds fantastic and is already véry difficult to play.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.