help needed

treeder
treeder
09/12/2013 1:01 am
Here's my issue, and let me say I'm pretty much technically illiterate. I want to practice and I want to hear the guitar but I don't want to bother anyone else in the house (Mrs., 11 and 9 year old who don't like to listen). I can plug in ear phones in the amp, but then can't hear the computer. I can plug in ear phones into the computer, then can't hear the amp. See where I'm going? I'm sure there is a way to have the guitar/amp, computer and head phones connected together, but I don't know how to do it. Any help here would be great. Thanks in advance

Rock On

Tim
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
09/12/2013 6:10 am
You could always buy yourself a small, affordable mixer which would allow you to mix the audio of both the amp and computer, and then you just plug your headphones into the mixer. Those little mixers can be handy for other stuff too, so its not a bad investment.
# 2
Carmine M
Carmine M
09/12/2013 7:57 am
Tim
which amp do you have? Does it have any aux port?

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 3
treeder
treeder
09/12/2013 11:28 am
Originally Posted by: carminemarottaTim
which amp do you have? Does it have any aux port?

Carmine

Its just a small amp with a headphone jack and input for the guitar, nothing spectacular. I've got to think a splitter would be the way to go here but again, I don't really know.
# 4
Carmine M
Carmine M
09/12/2013 12:41 pm
If so, a mixer is the way to go, as suggested.

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 5
IzzyPhoreal
IzzyPhoreal
09/12/2013 12:54 pm
Hi treeder,

The cheapest (but least flexible) way to achieve what you want to do is to connect your amplifier's headphone jack to the line in of your computer soundcard. Radio Shack or the Source (even Walmart) should carry the appropriated cable.

As slippin mentioned, a mixer would be the ideal way to go. But if you have an iPad or even an iPhone, you can buy a device which permits you to connect your guitar and earphones to it.

Its a small device that has a phono jack for your guitar, and a mini jack for your headphones. You then use apps such as Garageband or Amplitube as your amp and effects rig. Of course this is not your amp, but you can get some pretty decent sounds (especially with Garageband).

You can buy a host of apps, that do different things.. even an 8-track recorder.

Here are some links you may find interesting:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubeipad/

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/garageband/id408709785?mt=8

Another cool option is to go with a pod from Line 6. This has all the sounds you want and more (and it has a headphone jack).

http://line6.com/podhd/desktop/index.html

Nice thing about the pod, is that you can use it with the amp as an effects processor when the wife and kids are out of the house.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask for more details.

Izzy
# 6
treeder
treeder
09/12/2013 1:53 pm
Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it very much. I think something, or me, may be getting lost here though. I don't believe that an app will help me here. I have 2 devices that need to be connected so I can hear both. I'm really wondering if something like this image attached would actually work. Obviously, there would be a bit more cabling involved but that's not an issue. Your thoughts??

Tim
# 7
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
09/12/2013 2:04 pm
I use ear buds on one component and ear phones on the other.. I also use an Vox amplug ($39 to $49) or the Line 6 pocket pod.
# 8
IzzyPhoreal
IzzyPhoreal
09/12/2013 2:43 pm
Originally Posted by: treederThank you all for your help, I do appreciate it very much. I think something, or me, may be getting lost here though. I don't believe that an app will help me here. I have 2 devices that need to be connected so I can hear both. I'm really wondering if something like this image attached would actually work. Obviously, there would be a bit more cabling involved but that's not an issue. Your thoughts??

Tim

If you have more than one device that you want to connect and hear at the same time, then a mixer is the way to go. Way less complicated and as a bonus you can adjust the levels of your devices separately and have a bit of EQ.

Izzy
# 9
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
09/12/2013 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: treeder I'm really wondering if something like this image attached would actually work. Obviously, there would be a bit more cabling involved but that's not an issue. Your thoughts??

Tim

Its the right idea, but that cable isn't quite what you're after. If you want to use a Y-cable, then you'll need to come from your headphones output on your computer and your headphones out on your amp into a Y-cable that then has an input for your head phones. The Y cable in your picture has a 1/4 male end, so its the opposite of what you would need to plug your headphones into.

But, you can just go down to a Radio Shack and get what you need. Here's what you have to figure out first:

-what kind of output do you have for headphones on your computer? Its most likely a 1/8th output (same size jack you'd plug your earbuds into a phone on).

-what output do you have on your amp? If its a 1/8th like your computer, then all you need is a Y cable with two stereo inputs, that go to 1 stereo input. The one stereo input is where you will plug your headphones.

-if you can't get a 1/8th Y cable, or your amp or headphones require a 1/4 jack (same size as your guitar cable) then you'll need to add adapters where necessary. No big deal. Just tell the guy at Radio Shack what you're trying to do, and they should be able to set you up. You can make it work with just cables, its just a matter of getting the right ones and the right adapters if you need them. Not a bad option considering that you'll have to buy cables anyways if you get a mixer.

If you're not sure about what I mean about the cable sizes, just let me know and I'll try to explain it better.
# 10
treeder
treeder
09/12/2013 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardThe Y cable in your picture has a 1/4 male end, so its the opposite of what you would need to plug your headphones into.

Thank you all very much... that's what I was looking to find out!

Tim
# 11
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
09/12/2013 6:38 pm
Just doing a quick scan on-line, I think its likely you'll have to end up with a cable like the one you pictured, and then get an adapter that changes the male end into a female end that will allow you to plug the headphones into. No big deal (not expensive).

The only other question remaining then is whether your computer and amp have the same size jack. If so, then all you'll need is the appropriate sized Y cable. If not, then you'll need to add an adapter to one side to make it work.

Don't forget also that you're almost guaranteed to need a couple of extension cables so that you have enough reach to plug both your computer and amp in... that Y cable may be too small to reach both your computer and amp, but check and see how much length you're going to need... you might be able to get a longer Y cable that will reach.

Write it out on paper and imagine yourself plugging in before you go to the store... I hate getting home only to realize I'm missing one key cable or adapter! :)
# 12
IzzyPhoreal
IzzyPhoreal
09/12/2013 8:03 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin Lizard
Write it out on paper and imagine yourself plugging in before you go to the store... I hate getting home only to realize I'm missing one key cable or adapter! :)

The diagram idea is a good one, not only does it make sure you know what parts you need, it also gives you glimpse of your logic flow (and enable you to make changes before you buy the wrong parts).

Izzy
# 13
treeder
treeder
09/13/2013 12:55 am
There is a female to 2 male adapter, which is what is needed. I did make a diagram once all your help determined this would work. I found the correct Y splitter and some 8' cables on Amazon for around 16 bucks. I already had 1/4" - 1/8" adapters so no sweat there. Once they arrive, I'm ready to rock and roll, no pun intended. Thank you all again for your help!!

Rock On!

Tim
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.