View post (help needed)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
09/12/2013 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: treeder I'm really wondering if something like this image attached would actually work. Obviously, there would be a bit more cabling involved but that's not an issue. Your thoughts??

Tim

Its the right idea, but that cable isn't quite what you're after. If you want to use a Y-cable, then you'll need to come from your headphones output on your computer and your headphones out on your amp into a Y-cable that then has an input for your head phones. The Y cable in your picture has a 1/4 male end, so its the opposite of what you would need to plug your headphones into.

But, you can just go down to a Radio Shack and get what you need. Here's what you have to figure out first:

-what kind of output do you have for headphones on your computer? Its most likely a 1/8th output (same size jack you'd plug your earbuds into a phone on).

-what output do you have on your amp? If its a 1/8th like your computer, then all you need is a Y cable with two stereo inputs, that go to 1 stereo input. The one stereo input is where you will plug your headphones.

-if you can't get a 1/8th Y cable, or your amp or headphones require a 1/4 jack (same size as your guitar cable) then you'll need to add adapters where necessary. No big deal. Just tell the guy at Radio Shack what you're trying to do, and they should be able to set you up. You can make it work with just cables, its just a matter of getting the right ones and the right adapters if you need them. Not a bad option considering that you'll have to buy cables anyways if you get a mixer.

If you're not sure about what I mean about the cable sizes, just let me know and I'll try to explain it better.