Blind Taste

Shostakovich
Shostakovich
03/27/2013 7:57 am
It won’t have passed your notice the incredible number of re-issues and line extensions that Fender have recently done on their Stratocaster; and Gibson have done of their Les Paul models. A quick count on fender.com reveals that there are at least 78 variations of the Fender Stratocaster and looking at Gibson.com offers 96 different versions of the Les Paul classic. This does not include the Squire nor Epiphone ‘me-too’ brands.

Obviously two classic guitar models – I have enjoyed a Gibson Les Paul for 20+ years - but can anyone tell the difference between the multitude of different models? And if so; can they tell beyond 3 or 5 variations of a model.

It reminds me of what is said of a ‘blind-taste’ of beer and that beyond the label there is very little difference that you can determine with your taste buds. I wonder can you ears tell the difference between a Fender Vintage Hot Rod ’57 Strat, Fender Road Worn Player Stratocaster, American deluxe Strat V neck or Roadhouse Stratocaster? Unfortunately I will never know as I have neither the access to the range nor the time to test such s a large number of guitars. Has anyone out there every done so whether Fender or Gibson?

If there is a difference – firstly apologies to Fender and Gibson – and there really are enough variables to warrant 50+ variations on a single product maybe they should sell/market their guitars the way Dell sell their computers, by having to specify every part. Now that would make buying a guitar interesting; or would it?
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/04/2013 2:48 am
Hi Shostakovich,

I don't think I could tell beyond 3-5 variations, if I had the chance to try a bunch. To me a Les Paul is a Les Paul and a strat is a strat and I rate them as: great, good and OK. ;) ("crappy" is the one you just put down and don't play)

I can't remember any new guitars that I played and they had a "magic" quality to them, only with older guitars. I think guitars get better the more they're played (If they're good to start with).
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
2gross4u
2gross4u
04/27/2013 9:31 pm
Originally Posted by: ShostakovichIt won’t have passed your notice the incredible number of re-issues and line extensions that Fender have recently done on their Stratocaster; and Gibson have done of their Les Paul models. A quick count on fender.com reveals that there are at least 78 variations of the Fender Stratocaster and looking at Gibson.com offers 96 different versions of the Les Paul classic. This does not include the Squire nor Epiphone ‘me-too’ brands.

Obviously two classic guitar models – I have enjoyed a Gibson Les Paul for 20+ years - but can anyone tell the difference between the multitude of different models? And if so; can they tell beyond 3 or 5 variations of a model.

It reminds me of what is said of a ‘blind-taste’ of beer and that beyond the label there is very little difference that you can determine with your taste buds. I wonder can you ears tell the difference between a Fender Vintage Hot Rod ’57 Strat, Fender Road Worn Player Stratocaster, American deluxe Strat V neck or Roadhouse Stratocaster? Unfortunately I will never know as I have neither the access to the range nor the time to test such s a large number of guitars. Has anyone out there every done so whether Fender or Gibson?

If there is a difference – firstly apologies to Fender and Gibson – and there really are enough variables to warrant 50+ variations on a single product maybe they should sell/market their guitars the way Dell sell their computers, by having to specify every part. Now that would make buying a guitar interesting; or would it?

Both Gibson and Fender, as well as Paul Reed Smith and others , do allow for you to buy guitars with parts that you specify from body , neck and fingerboard woods, to tuning heads, bridges, pickups, pots and capacitors even down to specific wiring type and configurations, but it's not "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination. this is from the manufacturer's "Custom Shop" and most guitar builders have them-especially the Big Names.

No sarcasm intended here, nor do I mean to step on any feet, I just wanted to inform you that you can order a guitar built entirely to your specifications. It is a luxury best afforded to the big money boys.

Keep on pickin' and strummin'-
Jim
# 3
irishsnout
irishsnout
05/06/2013 8:38 am
take this post with a grain of salt, as I really know very little about guitars.
Ive noticed that when picking out a guitar, it usually comes down to how it looks, how it plays, and how it sounds.
about looks, with strats or les pauls, this changes with paint color, top materials pick guards, harware finish etc.
how it plays, is the dimensions of neck, fret size, balance, things like that.
how it sounds is the weird one. My hearing is horrible. to someone with a trained ear, they might be able to tell small changes in pickups, material or wiring. People in the audience or casual radio listeners are not going to care if its an original or re-issue guitar. but the player knows.
In my opinion, a new player might go for how it looks as a priority. someone who has been playing for a while may go for how it feels or plays. While a veteran player already should have locked on the look and feel and may be tweaking with the sound. On top of that, I really dont know many active players that own 1 guitar. We will buy pretty much anything if money is in hand.
The way i see it, fender and gibson cater to a first time buyer and to a legend like Clapton. they have everything in between and something for everyone even if it is just the color of the pick guard.
# 4
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
05/06/2013 6:26 pm
It's a personal preference and if you can't decide, get more than one. Another interesting twist on your question: How would you choose buying a guitar online?
# 5
Stringybark
Stringybark
05/10/2013 10:32 am
It seems to me that all the 57+ varieties, have just one aim: to feed into GAS, and thereby ensure a continuing flow of profits.

Until a few days a go, I was still looking for my first ever guitar, and while doing so I became painfully aware of the vast varieties and wondering which one to choose. In the end, I learned about high quality guitar manufacturers and decided that I should aim for a guitar from these manufacturers, while keeping in mind that I didn't want to waste $200 on a crap guitar and so have $200 less to spend on a guitar that has been well designed to produced great tone and for the guitarist to enjoy playing it all day long.

As a result, I started to look at name and price. Then, I would look at the eye-appeal. Finally, I learned a bit about pickups and what they were about. So they came into my equation. Then I also figured out that there were cheap woods and not so cheap woods. So, woods became part of my decision-making framework.

Finally, having sorted the list according to the above criteria, I started reading reviews, and was especially interested in what owners felt about the guitar's playability, comfort and feel.

In the end, by pure luck, I came across a very well priced and used ESP M-II, which met all my criteria. That was when I had virtually decided on a Yamaha Pacifica ( and all its variations!). The price difference between a new and well reviewed Yamaha Pacifica and the pre-loved ESP M-II in excellent condition, was just $200. The ESP won because of its reputation as a high quality and professional level instrument. One that I would and should never outgrow.

I'm sure that the more experienced guitarists would be far more prone to being persuaded to try the other 56 varieties out there, because, they get bored with their current instrument and want something new, something that promises difference, new excitement, new feel, new this and that. This is when GAS kicks in.

Human nature is at play here as well. And so, just like there are dozens of varieties of toothpaste, shampoos, cars etc, there will always be dozens of varieties of guitars to satisfy the human need for change and to make us dream of the 'ultimate' guitar :D
The accidental guitarist.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.