View post (Blind Taste)

View thread

Shostakovich
Shostakovich
03/27/2013 7:57 am
It won’t have passed your notice the incredible number of re-issues and line extensions that Fender have recently done on their Stratocaster; and Gibson have done of their Les Paul models. A quick count on fender.com reveals that there are at least 78 variations of the Fender Stratocaster and looking at Gibson.com offers 96 different versions of the Les Paul classic. This does not include the Squire nor Epiphone ‘me-too’ brands.

Obviously two classic guitar models – I have enjoyed a Gibson Les Paul for 20+ years - but can anyone tell the difference between the multitude of different models? And if so; can they tell beyond 3 or 5 variations of a model.

It reminds me of what is said of a ‘blind-taste’ of beer and that beyond the label there is very little difference that you can determine with your taste buds. I wonder can you ears tell the difference between a Fender Vintage Hot Rod ’57 Strat, Fender Road Worn Player Stratocaster, American deluxe Strat V neck or Roadhouse Stratocaster? Unfortunately I will never know as I have neither the access to the range nor the time to test such s a large number of guitars. Has anyone out there every done so whether Fender or Gibson?

If there is a difference – firstly apologies to Fender and Gibson – and there really are enough variables to warrant 50+ variations on a single product maybe they should sell/market their guitars the way Dell sell their computers, by having to specify every part. Now that would make buying a guitar interesting; or would it?