View post (Blind Taste)

View thread

Stringybark
Stringybark
05/10/2013 10:32 am
It seems to me that all the 57+ varieties, have just one aim: to feed into GAS, and thereby ensure a continuing flow of profits.

Until a few days a go, I was still looking for my first ever guitar, and while doing so I became painfully aware of the vast varieties and wondering which one to choose. In the end, I learned about high quality guitar manufacturers and decided that I should aim for a guitar from these manufacturers, while keeping in mind that I didn't want to waste $200 on a crap guitar and so have $200 less to spend on a guitar that has been well designed to produced great tone and for the guitarist to enjoy playing it all day long.

As a result, I started to look at name and price. Then, I would look at the eye-appeal. Finally, I learned a bit about pickups and what they were about. So they came into my equation. Then I also figured out that there were cheap woods and not so cheap woods. So, woods became part of my decision-making framework.

Finally, having sorted the list according to the above criteria, I started reading reviews, and was especially interested in what owners felt about the guitar's playability, comfort and feel.

In the end, by pure luck, I came across a very well priced and used ESP M-II, which met all my criteria. That was when I had virtually decided on a Yamaha Pacifica ( and all its variations!). The price difference between a new and well reviewed Yamaha Pacifica and the pre-loved ESP M-II in excellent condition, was just $200. The ESP won because of its reputation as a high quality and professional level instrument. One that I would and should never outgrow.

I'm sure that the more experienced guitarists would be far more prone to being persuaded to try the other 56 varieties out there, because, they get bored with their current instrument and want something new, something that promises difference, new excitement, new feel, new this and that. This is when GAS kicks in.

Human nature is at play here as well. And so, just like there are dozens of varieties of toothpaste, shampoos, cars etc, there will always be dozens of varieties of guitars to satisfy the human need for change and to make us dream of the 'ultimate' guitar :D
The accidental guitarist.