Is a metronome (sp?) really necessary?

EverRude
EverRude
04/18/2002 9:09 pm
I'm just starting out. Working on scales trying to get my fingers to do what I want. At this point in my development is a metronome needed? Will it help? Or should I just use it to get into the habit?

Thanks for any advice.

Peace...
# 1
Slasher
Slasher
04/18/2002 9:45 pm
I wouldn't bother with a met, not with scales anyway. I've never used one. The rhthm comes naturally to your playin, just keep playin til it feels right. But if you feel like the need to get one, get one. I'm sure there loads of guitarists out there that do use them. But I'd wait til your a bit more fluent coz it might just put you off.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 2

04/18/2002 10:08 pm
I disagree. Use when practicing, especially scales, and ESPECIALLY when you're starting.

"The rhthm comes naturally to your playin" - I disagree, I think rhythm comes with training, especially when you start building speed. Using a metronome will allow you gauge your process, as well as build a solid sense of timing.
# 3
Slasher
Slasher
04/18/2002 10:14 pm
Is it me, or do people just not do what feels right to them anymore? I feel that we all have to learn in the same way. I say, if you think it's right, do it. Coz we all gotta play to our individuality otherwise whats the point in us all playin, we all just gunna have the same strenghts n weakness. i've never used a met so the rythm comes through as what it sounds like to me, so it adds a little of me into whatever I'm playin.
# 4
James8831
James8831
04/18/2002 10:27 pm
is a great help for timing.

Once you can play a piece in time and at (approx) the "right" number of beats per minute - it usually tells you on sheet music and on some tab what this is- then you can fancy it up,slow down,speed up whatever.

It's great to be able to futz about with the feel of a piece,but if you want accuracy.....

Most metronomes can be set to the right speed (give or take). I've only used the old clockwork ones and can tell you nothing more about them :eek:

Do some modern fx boxes have tickers/metronomes built in?
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 5
Slasher
Slasher
04/18/2002 10:32 pm
Well it just naturally to me, the pace of stuff. N I put that down to havin to learn it on my own.
I've got a zoom gfx 707, n it's got a drum machine, which had different settins on it for style n a simple met, and you can change the temp also, but most of the multi effects have them in, it's prety standard these days.
# 6
James8831
James8831
04/18/2002 11:28 pm
I understand what you mean some people have a natural good rhythm (on wednesdays i do :)) - i'm not too bad now,playing mostly rhythm- but could have needed to use a metronome more when i was starting out.

I thought fx boxes had them just that my 505II don't ..apart from the decent wah sound it also doesn't have.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 7
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
04/19/2002 4:45 pm
It depends on what youĀ“re playnĀ“. If you play lot of chords, pop music and all (easy music) I donĀ“t think itĀ“s needed but if you train techique and are working on your speed and acuraccy, than itĀ“s the only thing that will help you to reach your goals.

If find it almost important as guitar Ā“cause IĀ“m working a lot on speed and acuracy and you can clearly see when you progress. I thinks itĀ“s a VERY important thing - METRONOME.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 8
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/19/2002 7:30 pm
Do you know what I do when some bratty little 14 years old kid tries to show off with his licks? I ask him to jam with a drummer, and it has never failed, they always suck... practice with a metronome!!!
# 9
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
04/19/2002 9:05 pm
EverRude
I think a Metronome is great when first starting out
if you don't have a sence of timeing.
My Metronome is built in my head.
On the other side of the coin i've had students use try
them because they were speeding up or slowing down.
Some just never could get the timing thing down even
with the metronome!If you don't know how to count when
playing music or stay on a beat then i say get a metronome.A drummer is great to use if hes has great
timing to learn how to play on the beat.
Once you can get the tic tic in your head you don't really
need the metronome.
But the metronome could be used on your scales to reach
the time barrier if thats what you want.
But if you have the tic tic built in your head you already
have a metronome.When your on the stage you can't use
a metronome and thats when you better have your timing
built in but you can play off of your drummer which
is what most lead guitarists do anyway.
Most poeple that use a metronome are playing alot by
thier selfs and not with a band.
I've met alot of pro guitarists that never used a metronome
that could really cook with best of them in all styles of music.
As far as useing your foot to tap for timing i've never
used it i alwasy thought it was a hillbilly thing.
And yes a Drummer is great for learning timing for
your rythum but i would't call this a simple thing
if your just playing chords really anything you can play good is not simple thing when you play music.
The question was as i thought was that your having problems
with makeing your fingers do what you want them to do
this is normal when first starting out thier not going to
want to do what you want them do.So the answer should be
practice practice or to make sure your not useing incorrect
fingering you might try getting a teacher to try and see
what your doing wrong.(I recemend a Teacher)
Really a metronome is not the answer for your finger problems unless your working on speed and you did't say
you were having speed problems i think some thought you
was, plus did't even read the real question.

Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 04-19-2002 at 05:34 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 10
Slasher
Slasher
04/19/2002 9:50 pm
I am not a 14 year old punk, n I can play along with a drummer as I have one! I also play drums a little coz the rhythm came to me so naturally I thought why not have a go at drummin. But for the first two years I never had any met or any form of beat, I did it all by ear and i think it has made me a much stronger player.
# 11
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
04/19/2002 10:04 pm
Slasher it can make you a better player.
Sounds great that you got it all togather.
The Ear is the greatist gift of all .
Use it well and it will pay off in time.

Good-luck Bro

Mark
Note:The best players are the ones that have a good ear!

[Edited by skee1 on 04-19-2002 at 05:31 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 12
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/19/2002 10:20 pm
My post wasn't directed at you Slash, it's just that nowadays, people start by playing 'rock discipline' by petrucci cover to cover, and they can't play a standard I IV V to save their life... Playing the guitar is about accompanying, and sometimes play a solo, not showing your chops all over the place...
# 13
Slasher
Slasher
04/19/2002 10:27 pm
Thats true, the whole thing has to fit together overwise it just sounds like a big mess. Sometimes occasionally a solo isnt needed. It has to fit into the song and be relevant. People seem to throw any old mis mash into a song these days n a it seems to have lost a lot of quality ( modern rock bands). On the other hand you could say it's supposed to sounds like that.
# 14
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/19/2002 10:40 pm
I teach for a living, and my students keep coming back for more, and do you know why? Because I tell them what other teachers don't want to tell them so that they'll think they have improved...
I just know what it takes to be a pro, and when it comes to gigging, you can take 'rock discipline' and use it for toilet paper, for it will be your rythm that will make you get in the band. (Only the timing? Well, not everyone can hear a note that's a little sharp, but anyone can hear that you hit the note a quarter note too early or too late).
Last time I was attending the balance of a talent show, and the engineer turned around to me and said 'those groups aren't groups, they're only individuals playing together, or against each other sometimes...'
# 15
EverRude
EverRude
04/20/2002 7:32 am
I appreciate all the advice and info y'all have given me.

I have a friend where I work who has played guitar for 32 years and has jammed with some really great bands in studio. His advice was much like what you all have said.

I think perhaps I do have natural rhthym however I don't think it's consistent enough. Meaning I sing alot and sometimes I can hear myself off at times. I think perhaps I would benefit from starting with a metronome early so I can train my sence of timing along with my fingers.

Eventually I may start alternate finger picking without having to watch my fingers AND play at a consistent rhthym without having to have an external beat. For now I think I'll do both.

BTW Mark I truly think the "teacher" advice is sound as well. It's exactly what my friend says. But I wanna give myself one month to try to become more fluid while playing modes or scales before I go to an instructor. I think I can manage that much before needing professional help.

BTW it's Blues I wanna play. Though I wouldn't mind the speed of some of the best metal or classical guitarists it's Clapton and Waters I play.

Anyways thanks again all :)
# 16
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
04/20/2002 6:10 pm
Originally posted by EverRude
I appreciate all the advice and info y'all have given me.

I have a friend where I work who has played guitar for 32 years and has jammed with some really great bands in studio. His advice was much like what you all have said.

I think perhaps I do have natural rhthym however I don't think it's consistent enough. Meaning I sing alot and sometimes I can hear myself off at times. I think perhaps I would benefit from starting with a metronome early so I can train my sence of timing along with my fingers.

Eventually I may start alternate finger picking without having to watch my fingers AND play at a consistent rhthym without having to have an external beat. For now I think I'll do both.

BTW Mark I truly think the "teacher" advice is sound as well. It's exactly what my friend says. But I wanna give myself one month to try to become more fluid while playing modes or scales before I go to an instructor. I think I can manage that much before needing professional help.

BTW it's Blues I wanna play. Though I wouldn't mind the speed of some of the best metal or classical guitarists it's Clapton and Waters I play.

Anyways thanks again all :)

EverRude
I think if i was you i would try to get all the info
you can from your friend.32 years is alot of guitar playing
He should know the ends and outs to give you some great
advice .I also have been playing more than 30 years but
anymore i don't have the time to teach the beginner guitar
players just starting out.I'm doing alot of road playing
with my group.I do give some Advanced private lessons once
in a while.My Son took over 99% of the teaching and he is
really building his classes up fast.
I Agree about trying the things you said you wanted to try for a month.That sounds like a good idea.
Now if your wanting to get into blues to me that would
be more of a listening thing than a theory thing.
But also i recemend you trying Metal and Classical plus all styles if you can.
If your hearing your self when you get off by singing
Thats great because some people don't even hear thier
self when thier off and some of them are pro's .
And one thing you can try is when you play try not to
look at your hands when playing plus singing this a very
good practice in its self plus listening to your self.

Good-luck
Mark

yours truly Mark Toman
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.