View post (Is a metronome (sp?) really necessary?)

View thread

EverRude
EverRude
04/20/2002 7:32 am
I appreciate all the advice and info y'all have given me.

I have a friend where I work who has played guitar for 32 years and has jammed with some really great bands in studio. His advice was much like what you all have said.

I think perhaps I do have natural rhthym however I don't think it's consistent enough. Meaning I sing alot and sometimes I can hear myself off at times. I think perhaps I would benefit from starting with a metronome early so I can train my sence of timing along with my fingers.

Eventually I may start alternate finger picking without having to watch my fingers AND play at a consistent rhthym without having to have an external beat. For now I think I'll do both.

BTW Mark I truly think the "teacher" advice is sound as well. It's exactly what my friend says. But I wanna give myself one month to try to become more fluid while playing modes or scales before I go to an instructor. I think I can manage that much before needing professional help.

BTW it's Blues I wanna play. Though I wouldn't mind the speed of some of the best metal or classical guitarists it's Clapton and Waters I play.

Anyways thanks again all :)