Warm Up

Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
04/09/2002 7:44 am
Hi

I rally wonder if somwone knows what to do before getting into a session. I´m rally afraid of injuries like tendonitis etc, and I wonder what should I do to prevent it. I alredy know that playng while it´s cold our while you are cold is not good at all but I really don´t any more.

So I wonder if anyone out there can give me some advice of streching, warming up, some stuff that I can play to get my fingers 100%, I would be more than greatful.

Also, if anyone of you had tendonitis etc, please tell what you done wrong how long did it last and how did you cure it and of course if you can play now whitout tendo-problems.

Thanks.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 1

04/09/2002 1:52 pm
I had tendinitus, which was a result of doing several things at once: demanding electric guitar excercises, classical guitar (which of course is murder on your picking hand), and lifting weights. The first thing the psysiotherapist said to me is, "Stop lifting weights". So I did. The tendinitus didn't last too long, maybe a week or so without playing, and a lot less for a week or two after that. Then it was back to normal and there were no lasting effects.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Tendinitus's big brother) is something much more serious. I've heard of CTS sufferers who couldn't turn a door knob, let alone play a guitar. My friend's dad had it way back when because he's a plumber and is always using wrists. He had the surgery and he STILL can't play like he did. Probably never will.

The only advice I can really give you is just to be vigilant about your hands. Have a good warm up including stretches before you start playing really hard. Give at least fifteen minutes at the start of a session to the practice of chords and other light stuff before you try and burn, you need to gradually work into the tough stuff. And being vigilant means staying away from other trouble areas for the wrists, so no video games! And if an old lady asks you for help carrying groceries to her car, say "No sorry, I have to watch my wrists"... well too far maybe.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.