Hello

MatthewDelano
MatthewDelano
07/22/2012 6:52 am
Greetings everyone!

My name is Matt, and I am from the Eastern region of the United States. For almost three years now I have been busy trying to kick start a music career in becoming a professional touring musician. I started in a heavy metal band, as the vocalist, that almost got to play our first show with the unfortunate event of our band splitting up two weeks before it. Nowadays, I am working on my guitar skills and electronic music.
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2012 1:30 pm
Greetings! Sorry to hear about your band, what other bands were your main influences?
# 2
MatthewDelano
MatthewDelano
07/30/2012 3:12 am
My influences of that time were mainly Scar Symmetry and HIM. However, my band mates were your typical hardcore kids. Our sound was different, I still got a demo song from then if you'd ever wanna check it out. :)
# 3
TommieScyther
TommieScyther
07/31/2012 3:57 pm
What made your band break up? Do you have any tips for other bands on what not to do so that they dont break up?
\m/ METAL \m/
# 4
Goncalo Crespo
Goncalo Crespo
07/31/2012 4:49 pm
Well it's good to see you here none the less...
# 5
MatthewDelano
MatthewDelano
08/04/2012 6:35 am
Originally Posted by: TommieScytherWhat made your band break up? Do you have any tips for other bands on what not to do so that they dont break up?

After reflecting for a long time, I realized that my old band's problem was finding the right band members and not a having definite sound to go for.

My best advice for bands would be finding the right people, who's in charge, what does the band want overall, and most importantly having a place to practice. Bands that usually start out taking whoever they find, this is alright for a cover band situation or just for fun, but if you're looking to be a serious and professional band it would be to look for several different characteristics when getting new members and/or keeping your band together.
-Attitude and personality, performing or hanging out
-Work ethic
-Musicial and creative abilities
-Experience in the music industry

Another huge factor for bands splitting up is deciding what kind of social and power system they'll have (i.e. democratic, dictatorship, etc...) My band and other friends' bands had used have a 'democracy', this seems like a good idea except this can lead to a 'mob-rule', and unfair to band members who put forth the most effort while someone else is dead weight. A band shouldn't be exactly a dictatorship either, have one person be the leader who plans everything and makes the orders. Going further about the leader, when it comes to the point of making money, the leader should make the most because they're putting forth the most effort and risk. Also, make a list of "danger signs" so that when a member does something wrong you can try catching a problem early, preventing a possible break-up of the band

Setting the right specific goals for the whole band can set the band to prosperous or end quickly. Saying you want to tour the world is nice but how will you achieve it? Being specific like "we should tour a part of the region first", then go on building from smaller goals to the larger one will become easier in time.

Lastly, make sure your band has a place to always practice at.

Hope this helped.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.