When My Guitar Is Crying

wolbai
wolbai
05/01/2012 7:48 pm
Did some Testing with my Looper function in my guitar pedal. All guitar parts where played as Overdubs. The guitar model I used for the E-Guitar is nicely cleaning & breaking up.

The Lead Guitar was recorded in one take nearly completly out of the box and so are some strange tones ...

When I arranged the guitar parts I was some how in a sad motion, therefore "MY Guitar Is Crying". Hope you like it:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11611283&q=hi&newref=1

wolbai
# 1
compart1
compart1
05/01/2012 11:09 pm
cool, nice piece.. even with the hiccup ( strange tones)
# 2
wolbai
wolbai
05/02/2012 7:42 pm
Hi compart1,

thanks for your reply! The hiccup thing is breaking a little bit the character but all and all I felt that the Take had a tasty motion, so I left it as it is ... one Take - one Shot.

wolbai
# 3
larsm2011
larsm2011
05/02/2012 8:10 pm
That sounds really good. can you tell me more about how you recorded this, is there more instruments than just guitar if not what kind off effects are you using?

Thanks
Lars
Lars
# 4
wolbai
wolbai
05/02/2012 9:14 pm
Originally Posted by: larsm2011That sounds really good. can you tell me more about how you recorded this, is there more instruments than just guitar if not what kind off effects are you using?

Thanks
Lars

Thanks for your reply and that it sounds good to you.

That's my guitar rig:

- Line6 DT50/212
- Line6 POD HD 500
- Line6 James Tyler Variax 59 + 69

All parts are played as Overdubs with my Guitar and the Looper function of the POD HD500. What you hear I will play (at least that's is actually my idea) later in a Live performance, meaning that I play all guitar parts sequentially as Overdubs in real time. Once the background Overdubs are looped I do my improvisation.

The effects I used are mainly from the POD HD500. Per Overdub I have built up a separate signal chain of effects and store that as a separate preset which I can activate with my footpedal. For some lead parts I increased the Drive parameter of the amp model and the drive paramter of the Tube Screamer (one effect of the POD HD500).

The recording itself was done with Cubase. Therefore I linked the HD500 with XLR-cables to an TASCAM audiointerface. For Live performnace I use my DT50/212 for tube driven amplification.

For the final mixing I have used some Compressor Effects in Cubase and placed the different tracks in a stereo panorama to get a roomy atmosphere.

Hope that answers your questions.

All the best, wolbai
# 5
larsm2011
larsm2011
05/02/2012 10:51 pm
Yes, thank you very much. I think I need to buy a HD500 :)

/Lars
Lars
# 6
waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
05/07/2012 4:51 am
Great work wolbai,
Good thing I'm not drunk or I'd be crying, lol. All kidding aside, nice melodic rhythm and good clean lead. All with alot of emotion
If only one thing I was hoping for was a climax part of the solo where the hair stands on your arms when hearing it.
But what do I know, it was really good. Thanks!
Ron Wayland
# 7
wolbai
wolbai
05/07/2012 5:25 pm
Originally Posted by: waylarGreat work wolbai,
Good thing I'm not drunk or I'd be crying, lol. All kidding aside, nice melodic rhythm and good clean lead. All with alot of emotion
If only one thing I was hoping for was a climax part of the solo where the hair stands on your arms when hearing it.
But what do I know, it was really good. Thanks!

Waylar,

your reply means a lot to me - thank you for that from the deep of my heart!

It encourages me to proceed on my music & guitar journey in the age of 51.
Looking back it seems to be a long and winding road with long breaks and restarting just a few years ago ...

The specific Lead playing I think covers indeed all my emotions and this is because I refused to think a lot when playing over my looped phrases (that is how I am normally used to play). So it some how just spouted out of me (and so some hiccups too). And this is the most challenging thing for me at the moment when it comes to soloing: giving up control and fall into a chord progression and let the emotions guide me (sounds a little bit like I am high).

I think that more intuitiv playing into a specific motion can have some drawbacks as well. Meaning that the tunes may not follow always a "normal" structure of a songs. So that is my idea why there is no climax / melting point in my tunes in that track (discovered that as you wrote it). Therefore I wouldn't say that my recording is a song in its classical way. But it covers some magic moments I am looking for when playing music. Thank you that you like it.

All the best, wolbai.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.