Big thumbs up my friend !!

trickyvic3
trickyvic3
02/20/2012 8:58 pm
Hi Tom,
Just wanted to let you know that I love your style of teaching!
I'm learning Taking care of business by BTO, and as you know there are a few odd chords in it. Or at least odd to me lol.

I like the fact that you take the time to show these chords and the correct fingering of them. Thanks to you, I have learned this one fairly quickly and now just need to work on my speed.

Some other instructors expect everyone to know some of these chords, and just rip through the songs. I feel that this is a learning site and if we all knew all the chords and styles we wouldn't be here lol.

You da man Tom !!! Keep up the good work !!

Vic
# 1
phillybeatle
phillybeatle
02/22/2012 1:58 pm
Well in away I think if your ready for songs you should know the chord. I get a little bored when they start showing chords. Strumming techniques for the songs need the clarification. However I understand. With that said, Tom is one of my favorite instructors. Coincidentally, I probably have learned more of his songs than the others.
# 2
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2012 3:53 pm
Hi Vic, I am happy to hear that you are enjoying GT and my teaching style! ; >)

Yes, I feel that it is important to take the time to clearly communicate the components to any song I teach as it is impossible to know who will be learning it and what level they are at! Thanks for the shout out and keep up the playing and practicing; it just keeps getting better!

Cheers, Tom~
# 3
phillybeatle
phillybeatle
02/22/2012 8:33 pm
I used poor judgement indicating I get bored when the instructors teach chords. Chord and with progressions in songs, are a fun way to learn chords. Just like techniques, in songs that I grew up loving, are a great way to learn techniques. Blame on the caffeine rush first thing in the morning.
# 4
trickyvic3
trickyvic3
02/22/2012 10:44 pm
Originally Posted by: phillybeatleI used poor judgement indicating I get bored when the instructors teach chords. Chord and with progressions in songs, are a fun way to learn chords. Just like techniques, in songs that I grew up loving, are a great way to learn techniques. Blame on the caffeine rush first thing in the morning.

No offense taken by me my friend, I knew what you were getting at . I've been playing on and off for many years, and would consider myself intermediate to advanced. However with that said, I still have a lot to learn.

I thought for a long time that I knew most all the chords, but am finding out now that there are still a few that pop up from time to time that I go HUH??

I like the fact that Tom not only explains the odd chords, but shows the fingering as well. Instead of me having to figure it out for myself.

I understand that for many advanced people this might be boring, but for people at my level I think it's great. This is one of the reasons I joined GT as a full member.

I tried a couple other sites, and they didn't hold a candle to GT.
Theirs something here for everyone at every level of playing.

Vic
# 5
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/23/2012 1:51 am
Yes, GT tricks rocks does it not? I am not so familiar with the other sites but I feel that the folks at GT have put together a very comprehensive and effective teaching style and format!
I figure people can always fast forward through stuff they already know so it's better to be sure that the info is there in case it is needed! Thanks for the props and keep up the playing fellas...

Cheers, Tom~
# 6
phillybeatle
phillybeatle
02/29/2012 3:27 pm
I learned a lot of chords through the Mel Bay system and other sources. My challenge is strumming techniques.
# 7
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/29/2012 4:04 pm
Yes, rhythm and strumming can be elusive indeed! It's easy o show fingerings for a chord but I feel that rhythm is something that you need to get in your body and really feel it! Keep it up...

Cheers, Tom~
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.