Maybe I'm Not The Worst Singer In The World

goldy54
goldy54
11/12/2011 9:26 pm
Well after my 7th vocal lesson people are telling me I'm definately making progress. having one of the best vocal coaches certainly has something to do with that. here's an article she just wrote that I found quite interesting about vocal warm ups. Does anyone out there go thru any warm ups before they perform.http://ezinearticles.com/?Singing-Exercises-Are-the-Push-Ups-of-Voice-Training&id=6681982
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/16/2011 6:32 pm
Hey goldy54,

Thanks for sharing!

-GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
goldy54
goldy54
11/16/2011 11:39 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks AdminHey goldy54,

Thanks for sharing!

-GT Admin

I think what you guys do is awesome! I've seen all the sites out there too! Being a pretty good guitar player, but the worst singer ever ( I am finally taking vocal lessons) I wish more people would comment on their singing a little more!
# 3
adir olf
adir olf
11/18/2011 5:28 pm
Hi Goldy

I love to sing but sing horribly. I have been wanting to take some lessons..haven't yet, but maybe one day...

here are some things I think about singing:
1. if you don't "have it" you won't ever be able to sing
2. maybe I can learn to be tolerable (that is really what my initial singing goal would be)

what do you think? do you think when one "can't" sing, that some skill can be learned/gained?
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 4
goldy54
goldy54
11/18/2011 10:43 pm
Originally Posted by: adir olfHi Goldy

I love to sing but sing horribly. I have been wanting to take some lessons..haven't yet, but maybe one day...

here are some things I think about singing:
1. if you don't "have it" you won't ever be able to sing
2. maybe I can learn to be tolerable (that is really what my initial singing goal would be)

what do you think? do you think when one "can't" sing, that some skill can be learned/gained?

I have been told by my new voice coach that I'm probably the worst singer she ever heard...however after the 1st lesson, turns out I have a wonderful voice, just not a good singer yet! I'm learning a song now that she thinks Jimmy Buffet or Kenny Chesney will cut when I get better (an Island tune, of course) She is the best on the planet! For the 1st time I do believe ANYONE can be taught to sing as long as they don't have any hearing disabilities. i'm proof and will show my before and after's on this site soon. In the meantime, don't give up and check out the link! Talk soon! http://cybervoicestudio.com/
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/19/2011 5:27 am
Barring tone deafness, almost anyone can sing, I think. Perhaps not in a way or like an artist they prefer but...
# 6
gregagraves
Full Access
gregagraves
Full Access
11/19/2011 10:01 pm
My Grandmother sang with the Met, and after she retired, gave operatic lessons. I have been a lead vocalist with a number of rock bands (none famous, some almost got somewhere). Here is my take:

1. Some people, who "sing", must have some sort of brain damage. I say that because apparently they have no idea that if you sing an "A" your vocal chords must vibrate at 440 hertz. They can't hear tones being flat or sharp. You have to be able to hear the key. And understand that a key demands singing in the general scale of the key. So, no, not everyone can sing. It is a gift you are either born with or not.

2. If you can hear tonalities [brain OK], then you can improve your singing ability and range by training your voice to sing on key. Tune your instrument (!) and play an A. Sing an A. Sing the scale. Hole each note. Once you can sing the scale without going flat/sharp, practice expanding your range by going up a few notes CAREFULLY. It is just like pushups ... you are increasing the strength of your voice muscles as you train your voice. You don't want to tear anything!!

3. Yes you should warm up your voice. Not only will you sing better, but you will also protect your voice from damage. It can happen. Not so commonly known, is that you should make sure your sinus cavity is "clean" by desnotting yourself. Sorry for the visual. Grandma said that you wouldn't believe the horrible noises singers made before going on stage.
# 7
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
11/21/2011 8:18 pm
No, you're not the worst singer in the world. That would be my ex-wife. A close second would be this cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArxakPsPE0
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.
# 8
adir olf
adir olf
11/23/2011 2:33 am
Originally Posted by: bobbysan07No, you're not the worst singer in the world. That would be my ex-wife. A close second would be this cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArxakPsPE0[/QUOTE]

wow... I loved van halen... but that was hard to watch...I mean listen to!

[QUOTE=gregagraves]My Grandmother sang with the Met, and after she retired, gave operatic lessons. I have been a lead vocalist with a number of rock bands (none famous, some almost got somewhere). Here is my take:

To Gregagraves: thanks I appreciate your comments!
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 9
IntrepidDad
IntrepidDad
11/29/2011 12:36 pm
Originally Posted by: gregagravesMy Grandmother sang with the Met, and after she retired, gave operatic lessons. I have been a lead vocalist with a number of rock bands (none famous, some almost got somewhere). Here is my take:

1. Some people, who "sing", must have some sort of brain damage. I say that because apparently they have no idea that if you sing an "A" your vocal chords must vibrate at 440 hertz. They can't hear tones being flat or sharp. You have to be able to hear the key. And understand that a key demands singing in the general scale of the key. So, no, not everyone can sing. It is a gift you are either born with or not.

This pretty much describes me. I took some voice lessons earlier in life but at best it only made me less bad. While I think most people can improve with lessons and practice, I do think there is some "gene" in your body that either allows you to sing on key or not. Unfortunately I don't have it.
# 10
goldy54
goldy54
11/30/2011 11:01 pm
Originally Posted by: IntrepidDadThis pretty much describes me. I took some voice lessons earlier in life but at best it only made me less bad. While I think most people can improve with lessons and practice, I do think there is some "gene" in your body that either allows you to sing on key or not. Unfortunately I don't have it.

This has been an ongoing arguement between my vocal coach and I since my 1st lesson. I totally agree with you for one reason. I have taken private lessons on clarinet(over 100) drums and guitar and progressivly got better with each lesson. the 1st ten on each instrument always pretty bad and everyone knew I was a begginer.
Now take singing... the only instrument where there is no fret, no strings, no hole to cover or drum skin to hit. No assistance what-so-ever. YOU HAVE TO PULL IT OUT FROM THIN AIR!!! YET, some people with no musical skills can sing beautifully ... I'm not even close with all my training. So far I agree with you It's got to be in a gene! My coach say's I have a beautiful voice...but I'm not a good singer YET. The jury's still out. many excellent points about things going on in my head such as key, pitch and range that I need to forget about could be very valid points. I still believe and hope she will prove us both wrong. I'll keep you posted. I am filming my lessons so I will post the before and afters very soon. I am getting better but I'll let the people on here be the real judge!
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.