Mental Attitude

Mike_x1x
Mike_x1x
11/07/2011 4:51 pm
Hi all.
Just thought I would like to share something I have found out about myself since joing Guitar Tricks, and that is how my mental attitude was holding me back!
I watched guitar players (not just stars) for many years and always felt they had some kind of "magic" and that I could never do what they were doing with a guitar.

I started Ben Lindholms tutorials and found, just by chance, that I was applying the same mental attitude: ie I will never be able to do that.
But then I noticed that Ben ( and the other instructors ) all said the same thing
"start slow, get it right, practise practise and more practise, and you will get there"
If you get frustated, take 10 mins off.
I realised that I was defeating myself BEFORE I even started.

I changed to thinking "ok give myself time and I WILL get there.
I found that by following the Instructors stratagy my playing has improved beyond anything I previously thought possible.
The dogs dont even run out of the room now when I pick my guitar up!
All I can say is a very big thank you to Ben and all the other Instructors I have looked at for helping me both to improve my playing and also my attitude.
Cheers
Mike
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/07/2011 7:11 pm
Great insight!

Really happy to read something like this :).

So much has to do with mental attitude - if you don't think you can do something, you probably won't succeed... But if you just make up your mind and say to yourself that anything is possible, it's amazing how many things actually become possible!

When I see great, great guitar players I say to myself - "OK, I need to practice", and I practice :D.

I never understood the "OK, now I'm gonna through out my guitar" attitude. There will always be someone better... so why not just learn from them?

The dogs dont even run out of the room now when I pick my guitar up!

Haha!!! That is great!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.