Marketing yourself or your band

goldy54
goldy54
09/06/2011 10:19 pm
Hey Guys, coming from a music marketing background since the jurassic age, and seeing huge changes in the past few years...I'm curious to hear how some of you are: (A) Getting people to your gigs and (B) selling your product. It seems like not many people are sharing their experiences regarding this topic.
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/06/2011 10:24 pm
Right now my band seems stuck with the same friends and family coming to our shows. Not sure how to branch out more and get new fans.
# 2
goldy54
goldy54
09/07/2011 12:20 am
Hey Hunter, been awhile glad to see you again. Are you looking to build a fan base or just having fun? I know in my case it's all about fun. As a matter of fact, when I moved to Nashville and put my 1st band together "Rendered Useless" I realized then it was all about having fun. When the band started talking about making money and a record deal, I changed the name to"Keep Your Day Job" I guess at that point I realized what I was really in it for! If you're in it for a career or for the $$$ I can give you a few simple tips. Let me know.
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/07/2011 12:46 am
Definitely trying to build a fan base. It isn't just a side hobby for us. We all have full time day jobs, but still look to take the band further. We have the connections in the industry, but without the fans we can't really get far even though we do have a foot in the door.
# 4
goldy54
goldy54
09/07/2011 2:03 am
Hunter, maybe you can be my protege if you are interested, I can coach you. I've been doing this a long time w/ great success. Even Garth thanked me in his book"Road To Thunder" Let me know.
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/08/2011 1:31 am
Ya, if you have any advice I'd appreciate it.
# 6
goldy54
goldy54
09/08/2011 6:42 am
Hunter, Here's a few idea's not mine... I have a lot more to add.

Reverbnation.com - I've got their music player plugged in directly to my own website and there have been five "plays" this morning.

http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk/html/listen_online.html

Get yourself a profile on every single free advertising space you can find.

Don't discount direct e-mail. Venues aren't so hot at replying to "I'm a musician looking for a gig" but I've had favourable response from some of the 400 Event and Wedding Planners I hit with direct e-mails last month. I asked them to add me to their suppliers' list; I got one mail about a possible booking next July and a few who said I sounded good - they went and had a listen so get some product out there for people to hear.

There's also a lot to be said for having a sign up in the front window of your house, and I have another on the back parcel shelf in the car.

"Letterbox drops" - flyers through the door - 200 dropped in my village (that's every house) - two phone calls, one new student.

Get some business cards done, some flyers, and some postcards to put through doors. I use these guys for all my printing and sometimes they offer me free stuff (postage only) :

http://www.vistaprint.co.uk

And my cousin will do graphic design for you (she did a great job on the Essex Guitar Orchestra brochures the other year) - tell her I sent sent you:

http://www.angieandco.com

And the most important point - if someone replies, make sure you get back to them PDQ.

Marketing yourself is not a "half hour on the PC a couple of times a week" thing, it's a non-stop thing that takes up 50% of your available time.
# 7
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/08/2011 5:19 pm
We have a reverbnation profile. We get our bookings through emailing people/venues like you mentioned. Business cards were the first thing we bought for promotion purposes. We make flyers for some of our shows, but not all of them. We've noticed that flyers don't really bring in the crowds anymore (at least where we're from). I take care of our design stuff for flyers and stuff. If there is something "artistic" we want done, like a logo, we go to a friend of ours. Right now we average about 2-3 shows a month. We get the same people coming though like I mentioned. No new faces other than the people who are local to the bar/venue.

Here is our facebook page:
www.facebook.com/RotusBand
# 8
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
09/09/2011 5:53 pm
Hunter, I went and listened to your track "Lighting Rod"... you guys have a good sound... all the elements are there.. good vocals, strong musicianship, and a distinct style. Before you worry about marketing, here's some things I'd suggest, take it or leave it:

-in terms of the production of the song, and song itself, both seem to lack focus... a definitive, guiding anchor that says "this is what this song is all about"... the mix is a bit mushy and sort of one-dimensional (all elements, all the time, at a constant volume... imagine, for instance, if the first half the 1st verse just started with drums and vocal only, then the guitar and bass kicked in.. something like that). I think that because the song lacks a really strong hook, whoever is producing/mixing it doesn't really know what to emphasize and what the unifying theme is.

-looking at your guy's photos, your image could use a little more cultivation. The drummer wearing sunglasses, the scrappy suit & tie look with the bass player wearing jeans and a large-print T-shirt... again, it sort of lacks focus, cohesiveness. I'm not saying be fake, be yourselves, but you are performers... wardrobe is important... even if it just means deciding if you're all going to wear dark clothing... or choose between jeans or dress pants... I know it sounds trivial, but the whole "we all come from different backgrounds" look I don't think works... come together as a unit, both in your musical performance (which is sounds like you are) and your visual appearance.

I think you guys have a really good sound, very relevant "today" kind of thing, and all the elements are there for you to be very successful. The first priority is to come together as a unit, and then really get some strong material behind you, with some professional production to your recordings.

Once you have that, I wouldn't worry so much about how many people are coming to your gigs. I'd focus more on trying to get your music as much exposure as possible. Do a video on YouTube... try and get your song used as a sound track in someone's indie film or a video that might go viral. Make your music free to download, free to be used as a soundtrack in any media so long as credit is given to the band. Its all about just getting your music out there, and the best way to do that is via the internet. Once you have a strong following, then you can worry about packing them in at your gigs.

Those are just my suggestions... hope you guys make it! The guitar playing was great btw.
# 9
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/10/2011 10:31 pm
Ya the recordings are basically just "demo" tracks. We just wanted to have something to be able to throw out there and be heard. As far as wardrobe goes, I agree with your comments. A single unifying look is something we haven't decided on yet. I'm the metal-head in the band, so I'm used to the jeans/metal shirts. Not really sure what look would fit our music style.

Our overall music sound leans more towards grunge/hard rock. Our unrecorded songs I'd say are a slight bit harder and some faster. Our song "Long One" I think is sort of the middle ground. "Lightning Rod" is one of our slower ones.

I'm the bassist for the band btw, not the guitarist.
# 10
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
09/11/2011 3:32 pm
Goldy54, seems he knows what he is talking about. I would go with that but I have something to add. I have been in your shoes, playing in different bands and no one showing up. Our problem was we were playing for ourselves and not what the people wanted to hear. For awhile I played with a polka band, yea that's right a rocker crossed over. I had my reasons at the time, They were booked solid and always packed the place. People come to hear polkas and that's what we gave them. Yes we put a couple of oldies tunes in the mix and most would go and sit down and not dance. I had 2 small kids at home at the time and I was doing it for the money. If you guys are just doing it for the money, Forget about it!. You have to play danceable music for one and give the people what they want, Get out and ask them when you are gigging. Where can we improve, how did you like the band etc. etc. You must mingle in the crowd in the beginning. The last bit of advice is my Dad always said, You guys need a gimmick of sorts. Something no one else is doing and if you think the people are digging it go out there and ask them, What do you think of the band? The people that are in the crowd need to be communicated with, they want to be part of the show. I am 61 now and played most of my life. I know the feeling when no one shows up but family and friends. But I still played my best and I would consider it a good practice then. Don't forget that just one person hears you and you guys suck account of no one there, word gets out fast, , You have to like it and make it your first love. I always told myself when this playing out becomes a job for me I will quit and that's what I did. Go around and ask the bands that are drawing a crowd if you can open up for them . People will see that you guys are a good band.Snap into the songs without talking to one another saying, what song you are going to play next. You should have this all laid out already. Everyone has to work like a clock does, one missing part and its broken. Lay off the booze and drugs is also important. I remember my days of drinking and playing, I thought I was great but when I went on the wagon. there were 2 other guitar players that were 10 times more skilled then me but they both drank. By the last set I would shine above them, Just a little friendly advice I have learned. Good Luck with it and let us know how you progress, Pete (Sgt.Tee)
For What It's Worth
# 11
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
09/11/2011 3:36 pm
Can you give me a link to your song other then facebook, I would like to hear you
For What It's Worth
# 12
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/11/2011 6:36 pm
Only other place we have our songs is:
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/rotus
# 13
prateekmasta
prateekmasta
09/14/2011 6:17 pm
hey how this reverb widget help
and what is this site rollumpmusic, is it urs ?
i am also at reverbnation facing lag in promotion !
# 14
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/14/2011 6:36 pm
rollumpmusic? Where do you even see that? We just use the widget so we have a profile on our facebook and people can hear our music.
# 15
compart1
Full Access
compart1
Full Access
09/14/2011 10:45 pm
rollumpmusic -- maybe a typo
I found "roll up music" on a web search..
I did not look like any kind of recordong site, just a few links to Youtube..
# 16
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/15/2011 12:59 am
Not sure why you're asking me about it. I have no idea what it is or why would think it was mine.
# 17
goldy54
goldy54
09/16/2011 6:52 pm
Hunter....Slipin Lizzard has made some very valid points, especially about just getting your music out there. If you think you sound like other bands, find their music and fans, then give free links to yours. This is just one of many ways to get it out there. A musician MUST wear many hats in order to succeed. I have a friend that headlined in Vegas last year. He was the new voice of Vegas... On billboards, buses, everywhere, had a 50 pc. backup.. was great!!! 2 weeks later he was back in Nashville playing the drums in a mexican resturaunt for tips!!! I have many many tips and stories. Bottom line.. If you are a piano player at the Holiday Inn and getting paid... You already have succeeded!!! Not a lot of people get to live their passion. Let alone get paid for it!!
# 18
lavaguitarist
lavaguitarist
09/23/2011 3:46 am
Originally Posted by: goldy54Hey Guys, coming from a music marketing background since the jurassic age, and seeing huge changes in the past few years...I'm curious to hear how some of you are: (A) Getting people to your gigs and screen printing process (B) selling your product. It seems like not many people are sharing their experiences regarding this topic.

We can say that currently, everybody has access through the internet and then maybe we can market our band/ talents through social media like facebook, twitter and linkedin.
# 19
michaelsocarras
michaelsocarras
09/29/2011 3:22 am
Originally Posted by: goldy54Hunter, Here's a few idea's not mine... I have a lot more to add.

Reverbnation.com - I've got their music player plugged in directly to my own website and there have been five "plays" this morning.

http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk/html/listen_online.html

Get yourself a profile on every single free advertising space you can find.

Don't discount direct e-mail. Venues aren't so hot at replying to "I'm a musician looking for a gig" but I've had favourable response from some of the 400 Event and Wedding Planners I hit with direct e-mails last month. I asked them to add me to their suppliers' list; I got one mail about a possible booking next July and a few who said I sounded good - they went and had a listen so get some product out there for people to hear.

There's also a lot to be said for having a sign up in the front window of your house, and I have another on the back parcel shelf in the car.

"Letterbox drops" - flyers through the door - 200 dropped in my village (that's every house) - two phone calls, one new student.

Get some business cards done, some flyers, and some postcards to put through doors. I use these guys for all my printing and sometimes they offer me free stuff (postage only) :

http://www.vistaprint.co.uk

And my cousin will do graphic design for you (she did a great job on the Essex Guitar Orchestra brochures the other year) - tell her I sent sent you:

http://www.angieandco.com

And the most important point - if someone replies, make sure you get back to them PDQ.

Marketing yourself is not a "half hour on the PC a couple of times a week" thing, it's a non-stop thing that takes up 50% of your available time.

Agreed. Well said.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.