View post (Marketing yourself or your band)

View thread

Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
09/11/2011 3:32 pm
Goldy54, seems he knows what he is talking about. I would go with that but I have something to add. I have been in your shoes, playing in different bands and no one showing up. Our problem was we were playing for ourselves and not what the people wanted to hear. For awhile I played with a polka band, yea that's right a rocker crossed over. I had my reasons at the time, They were booked solid and always packed the place. People come to hear polkas and that's what we gave them. Yes we put a couple of oldies tunes in the mix and most would go and sit down and not dance. I had 2 small kids at home at the time and I was doing it for the money. If you guys are just doing it for the money, Forget about it!. You have to play danceable music for one and give the people what they want, Get out and ask them when you are gigging. Where can we improve, how did you like the band etc. etc. You must mingle in the crowd in the beginning. The last bit of advice is my Dad always said, You guys need a gimmick of sorts. Something no one else is doing and if you think the people are digging it go out there and ask them, What do you think of the band? The people that are in the crowd need to be communicated with, they want to be part of the show. I am 61 now and played most of my life. I know the feeling when no one shows up but family and friends. But I still played my best and I would consider it a good practice then. Don't forget that just one person hears you and you guys suck account of no one there, word gets out fast, , You have to like it and make it your first love. I always told myself when this playing out becomes a job for me I will quit and that's what I did. Go around and ask the bands that are drawing a crowd if you can open up for them . People will see that you guys are a good band.Snap into the songs without talking to one another saying, what song you are going to play next. You should have this all laid out already. Everyone has to work like a clock does, one missing part and its broken. Lay off the booze and drugs is also important. I remember my days of drinking and playing, I thought I was great but when I went on the wagon. there were 2 other guitar players that were 10 times more skilled then me but they both drank. By the last set I would shine above them, Just a little friendly advice I have learned. Good Luck with it and let us know how you progress, Pete (Sgt.Tee)
For What It's Worth