View post (Marketing yourself or your band)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
09/09/2011 5:53 pm
Hunter, I went and listened to your track "Lighting Rod"... you guys have a good sound... all the elements are there.. good vocals, strong musicianship, and a distinct style. Before you worry about marketing, here's some things I'd suggest, take it or leave it:

-in terms of the production of the song, and song itself, both seem to lack focus... a definitive, guiding anchor that says "this is what this song is all about"... the mix is a bit mushy and sort of one-dimensional (all elements, all the time, at a constant volume... imagine, for instance, if the first half the 1st verse just started with drums and vocal only, then the guitar and bass kicked in.. something like that). I think that because the song lacks a really strong hook, whoever is producing/mixing it doesn't really know what to emphasize and what the unifying theme is.

-looking at your guy's photos, your image could use a little more cultivation. The drummer wearing sunglasses, the scrappy suit & tie look with the bass player wearing jeans and a large-print T-shirt... again, it sort of lacks focus, cohesiveness. I'm not saying be fake, be yourselves, but you are performers... wardrobe is important... even if it just means deciding if you're all going to wear dark clothing... or choose between jeans or dress pants... I know it sounds trivial, but the whole "we all come from different backgrounds" look I don't think works... come together as a unit, both in your musical performance (which is sounds like you are) and your visual appearance.

I think you guys have a really good sound, very relevant "today" kind of thing, and all the elements are there for you to be very successful. The first priority is to come together as a unit, and then really get some strong material behind you, with some professional production to your recordings.

Once you have that, I wouldn't worry so much about how many people are coming to your gigs. I'd focus more on trying to get your music as much exposure as possible. Do a video on YouTube... try and get your song used as a sound track in someone's indie film or a video that might go viral. Make your music free to download, free to be used as a soundtrack in any media so long as credit is given to the band. Its all about just getting your music out there, and the best way to do that is via the internet. Once you have a strong following, then you can worry about packing them in at your gigs.

Those are just my suggestions... hope you guys make it! The guitar playing was great btw.