Six-Strings vs. Seven-Strings

goldenarmsx
goldenarmsx
04/06/2011 11:32 am
One thing I'm thinking about doing is switching from six-strings to seven-strings (no, not because of the latest trends in music :)). I was wondering if it's easier on the hands (wider fretboard seems to make it feel easier, but I didn't have time to play around with it much) and is it better learning-wise to start out with a seven-string. One thing I've noticed is that I tend to chug more than anything whenever I play (five years marching band drum experience). Also, I'm not very fast in the speed department (which is like a secret shame :() and I have long fingers.

The guitar I'm thinking about picking up is a Squier Stagemaster 7-II IIRC at a local pawnshop. Seems to be stock, though apparently someone spray painted the body black and put some stickers on. Tone and volume pots seem okay and toggle switch is pretty clean in moving and switching between humbuckers, no crackling like the Ibanez I originally had my heart set on. Neck looks good; just need to replace the strings.

Original guitar is a Peavey Predator (1992, based on serial). Done well for me in learning guitar at least, but some points make me wonder if my hands aren't right for that type of neck (I've thought about investing in a 3/4 guitar see if that fixed some of my issues about playing).

So, any thoughts/experiences about six vs. seven strings?
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2011 2:30 pm
Well, if the reason for getting a 7-string is that it would be easier to play, then I would definately stay away from it. But if you're into 7-string music (i.e. death metal, progressive metal etc.) then why not.

I find it much harder to play 7-string guitars. The neck is much wider and it's harder to play many of the chords because your thumb has to reach around that wide neck. Hendrix style chords (with bass note played with your thumb) are hard to play.

So you just have to think about why you would want a 7-string guitar. It most likely will be harder to play, so the only real benefit is that you get a wider range of notes to choose from - a range that is mostly used in heavier metal genres.

If you are interested in playing the guitar like a piano - with both hands on the fretboard - a 7-string guitar could be nice to allow you to reach the lower bass notes.
# 2
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
04/06/2011 2:57 pm
A seven string will take a little to get used to. I do like 7 strings because the wider range of notes to choose from. The next guitar I buy will most likely be a 7 string! Try and play a 7 string a few more times and see if that is something you would want to have!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.