Callouses

Ed
Ed
02/23/2002 9:34 pm
Hello again,

I have been practicing/learning for about three weeks now and have started getting my callouses built up. At least the pain has went away for the most part, I'm happy for that!

Now it seems like I have to practice less than before, 15-20 minutes instead of 30-45. The callouses keep getting built up with a nice groove in them so what works fine on the low E dosen't when I move to a higher string.

I have tried just pressing harded but, I just make the grooves deeper. Also after the grooves start forming my fingers set further around the string making it harder to not deaden the surrounding strings. It is a strange feeling to be pressing on the and it feels more like I'm pressing on something flat I can't feel the string. I didn't care for the pain but, I did liek feeling the string a little more. Is this something that will come back with time?

I have read elsewhere to keep dipping your fingers in rubbing alcohol (after practicing) would help in speeding up the building of callouses. Is this true? Should I be sanding the tips of my fingers (lightly of course)?

The only other option I can think of is to try 10 minute session three or four times a day. Would this help or be counter productive?

Any tips would be appricated.
Thanks
Ed
# 1
top hatted
top hatted
02/23/2002 11:29 pm
Some guy who plays classical guitar once told me that too many callouses are sign of a bad technique. I'm not too sure of this cause I'm also just starting out, but I think you shouldn't press the strings very hard you should press them smoothly. It also depends on what kind of guitar your playing, classical, acoustic or electric. Anyway, there are thousands of people around here that will give you better tips than mine.
# 2
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/24/2002 3:35 am
I've had permanent callouses on my fingertips for a year now, I wear them like a badge of honor. The skin will fill back in the holes from time to time. The weirdest part is taking a look at them in the shower when your fingers are all wrinkly, it looks kinda painful.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/24/2002 6:09 am
I play for 8 hours a day (it's my job) and sometimes, my callouses just fall, because it is dead skin... So when they are too big, they just have to renew themselves. It hurts me for a couple of days, then they are back.
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
02/26/2002 4:31 am
exactly, lal, that happens to me too. its gross.

i'll be firin away at some tune, or jammin along with a grateful dead song, and suddenly i'll stop playing with a look on my face like "what the hell?" its very wierd, im not used to seeing that stuff happen.
# 5
spliphiticus
spliphiticus
03/02/2002 11:13 pm
Your Callouse are one of your very important tools. And in my opinion there are no "really" bad techniques. But back to the subject, Your callouses will develope more over time, they will become harder as you develope them (development relates to amount you practice or play) I have had my callouses for about 23 years now and they are hard as a rock. But you must take care of them such as never play your guitar after you have soaked your hands such as washing dishes, showering etc. The harder they become the more these problems you are suffering will lesson but it does take time and some pain and lotsa practice. hope this helps
# 6
spliphiticus
spliphiticus
03/02/2002 11:15 pm
BTW don't soak them in rubbing alcohol or sand them that will not help.
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/03/2002 1:59 am
yeah man get the callouses the natural way. by practicing
# 8
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
03/03/2002 11:22 pm
When you get to barre chords, you ll be thank ful the more callousus u have!
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 9
Ed
Ed
03/04/2002 5:51 pm
Thanks for the advice.

What I was worried about the most was forming callouses with a groove in them. I didn't noticed when but in the last couple of days the grooves have disapeared. I also don't think I am pressing as hard now that I'm kind of getting used to where to place my fingers. I'm not concentrating so hard on where to place my fingers now more on does it sound right. That my sound wierd but in concentrating so hard on where my fingers are supposed to be I was probably pressing extra hard. Keep in mind I'm referencing this to 45 minute sessions not several hours.

I have a question about "barre cords". I am just trying to learn the F cord. Do I just press down REAL HARD using the bottom of my finger or do you use the side which is not as soft? If I roll back on the side of my finger it is a lot harder to stretch to reach the other strings.

Thanks again
Ed
# 10
fuhrysteve
fuhrysteve
03/07/2002 3:46 am
yeah, i play a coupla hours a day, and i have not allowed my left hand's calouses to get wet in the shower since after a gig in which i used superglue on my calouses, it worked pretty well, cause my calouses were all but gone from overplaying them for a few days, but i needed to get the superglue off. try superglue, but DON'T USE TOO MUCH i did, and it was a mistake, i couldn't feel my finger, and i freaked out the first time i used it :)
party on man
Way Cool Christian Guitarist
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.