View post (Callouses)

View thread

Ed
Ed
02/23/2002 9:34 pm
Hello again,

I have been practicing/learning for about three weeks now and have started getting my callouses built up. At least the pain has went away for the most part, I'm happy for that!

Now it seems like I have to practice less than before, 15-20 minutes instead of 30-45. The callouses keep getting built up with a nice groove in them so what works fine on the low E dosen't when I move to a higher string.

I have tried just pressing harded but, I just make the grooves deeper. Also after the grooves start forming my fingers set further around the string making it harder to not deaden the surrounding strings. It is a strange feeling to be pressing on the and it feels more like I'm pressing on something flat I can't feel the string. I didn't care for the pain but, I did liek feeling the string a little more. Is this something that will come back with time?

I have read elsewhere to keep dipping your fingers in rubbing alcohol (after practicing) would help in speeding up the building of callouses. Is this true? Should I be sanding the tips of my fingers (lightly of course)?

The only other option I can think of is to try 10 minute session three or four times a day. Would this help or be counter productive?

Any tips would be appricated.
Thanks
Ed